I don't know what to play anymore, or what to learn. I can't really jam with other people at the moment, and I'm rather low on cash (teenage unemployment for the win, indeed).

In terms of musical skill, I've been learning music theory and reading for a while now, and so far I'm stuck on learning complex rhythm notation with tons of eighth note dots and ties all over the place.

So I look to the interwebs for advice. If any of you have felt this before, what'd you do to climb out of it?

Also, recommending good bassists to listen to might help a brother out. I developed a massive urge to play bass a while ago when I listened to James Jamerson playing in Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On"

tl;dr - What should I do to re-invigorate my groovin' spirits?
I'd say to listen to some music that you're normally not into and look for bassists in those genres that do things that you've never really experimented with before. What genres do you like?
Erm, I'm ok with Funk, some Soul, Prog Rock/Metal, little bit of Classical, and some Classic Hip Hop here and there...
Listen to ANY thing and EVERY thing. I'm talking Beethoven to R&B, Metal, EVERYTHING.

Also, consider dabbling in another instrument. The theory knowledge carries over well... maybe you could borrow a guitar from a friend or something? Other wise, try jamming with drum tracks. Thats' what got me out of my last playing rut. good luck!
Do you pretty much just play stuff in those genres? My primary suggestions would be Jaco (more to listen to than anything if you aren't at that skill level), Dream Theater if you like Prog. and Metal (their early bass work wasn't ridiculous), and Orion by Metallica (combination of metal and classical-esque bass solo). I'm just going to go out on a limb and suggest some other stuff too that may get your musical wheels rolling - jam wth people, whether or not it's in a band setting. Find a guitarist and just play stuff, whether improv. or stuff you both know. It could be with a friend, no equipment required, just instruments. Also, check out some RATM, RHCP, hard rock, classic rock, r&b, etc. And if you really like grooving - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1113892&highlight=groove+best+bass. You might find some good ideas in there.

Edit: And what that other guy said. Listen to stuff your friends like that you wouldn't normally do, ask them what bassists they like, etc. You don't need to necessarily pick up a different instrument.
Last edited by edgeyyz at Sep 27, 2009,
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Good news though, between this comment and my last, I found out how to play a minor arpeggio all funky-like a-la Jamerson. Then proceeded to jam on the bass for 20-or-so minutes.

As for the other instruments, I have access to a keyboard and a classical guitar. Was trying out moving around chords in the harmonic minor scale earlier this week on the guitar; made me feel all sexified.

Turns out, mentioning "What's Going On" made me listen to it, and that got me back on track...I heavily suggest you all to listen to it: Click here for eargasm

And while I'm here: Do y'all got any tips for a noob learning to read complex note timing in music notation?
I just got out of a similar situation with the help of Tool. I started learning Schism and I began playing more and more. If you don't like Tool then go for something unique or different to learn
Dude I was in the same thing only I Started listening to victor wooten That Dude is God On the Bass
Listening to some of the Technical Death Metal bands really got me LOVING my bass playing. It's not greatly accessible music, but I find it great fun to play and challenging to learn.

Try these albums:

Individual Thought Patterns - Death
Piece Of Time - Atheist
Unquestionable Presence - Atheist
Focus - Cynic

Also:

Colors - Between The Buried And Me
As terrible as death metal is its true they play bad ass bass lol learn some Jazz or Some racer X they freaken Rule
I feel the same way, since I'm not in a band anymore and took a break from playing. Recently I've started playing again, but I need to practice theory more. I'm not big on theory, I know the basics and I can figure my way around to learning it.

The only thing I have trouble with is what to learn first. Should I read? Practice scales (and how to practice them), etc.

The most practice I've done lately was playing with Guitar Pro. I feel your pain.
Quote by FbSa
^That's it! No other idea will even come close to that one. Joetime get's a pizza!
sounds silly go see bands you wouldnt normally go see.I did this tonight i went to a local battle of the bands and im back with 2 demo's and im pretty goddamn amazed as i knew there were local bands, but damn they are good.

Its really spurred me back on in the sense "i want to do that".

going to gigs or concerts you usually wouldnt is a good thing to do aswell.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
1. Go see live music.
2. Put your bass down for a day or two and explore outside of your neighborhood. New experiences will get you out of the mental rut which is half the battle.
3. Play with every person who asks to jam. You will learn from those who are better than you as well as those who are working towards your level.
4. Lol, learn some jazz bass. I've been at it for over a year and its a onion with endless layers of technique and comprehension.
Quote by flipsnake
I don't know what to play anymore, or what to learn. I can't really jam with other people at the moment, and I'm rather low on cash (teenage unemployment for the win, indeed).

In terms of musical skill, I've been learning music theory and reading for a while now, and so far I'm stuck on learning complex rhythm notation with tons of eighth note dots and ties all over the place.

So I look to the interwebs for advice. If any of you have felt this before, what'd you do to climb out of it?

Also, recommending good bassists to listen to might help a brother out. I developed a massive urge to play bass a while ago when I listened to James Jamerson playing in Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On"

tl;dr - What should I do to re-invigorate my groovin' spirits?

i feel you man i feel the same way. ive lately been getting more into guitar .. but my passion is bass. guitar is just more fun to play by myself for some reason. i havent really had a good jam in over two years wich is odd because i figured when i started collage there would be tons of musicians but aparently not.

maybe im wierd by i just rather make my own stuff up and write music then to just learn a song. i like learning songs if im going to perform it thats like the only thing that motivates me to learn a song by someone else is to play on stage and impress people i guess. i LOVE playing bass tho its just so meh when im buy myself i would much rather improv while someone plays guitar untill something just "fits" its jsut such a good feeling to be in the pocket.

i would def say listen to music you dont normally listen to after two years of barely any playing im starting to really dig country music and that is inspireing me more.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E