I'm just wondering for those of you with jobs, if you call in sick one day, what's the policy?

Where I work, if you call in sick one day, you HAVE to bring a doctor's note, which I find ridiculous. I mean, more than one day is alright, but if I have a bad sore throat or something, paying a sh*tload of money to see a doctor isn't really going to help as much as it's worth. Plus, there's no way I can afford to go to the doctor's half the time. I mean, I'm around customers all day handling their purchases and talking with them, and I don't wanna get them or my coworkers sick either. When I worked at the movie theatre (where their are some soulless people that run those places sometimes) they didn't even do that.

Anyways, I know I'm ranting a lot, but really the only reason I'm making this thread is because I'm wondering what it's like at most places people like me work at, and if my job is any different.
Where I work, full-time employees are entitled to 3 days of sick leave without a medical pass, and 10 with one. What's sweet is Medicare in Australia so we get most of the money back from the doctor. I suppose if you're sick just one day and can't afford the doctor, you could talk to your supervisor and organise leave without pay for that day.
Quote by Le_Bunny
Where I work, full-time employees are entitled to 3 days of sick leave without a medical pass, and 10 with one. What's sweet is Medicare in Australia so we get most of the money back from the doctor. I suppose if you're sick just one day and can't afford the doctor, you could talk to your supervisor and organise leave without pay for that day.

this is your best bet. just say what you said in the post
Quote by zchavez09
this is your best bet
Eh, we're paid hourly. Besides, half the time what happens is people will say they'll bring a note, they don't, manager throws a hissy and then it's forgotten.
Quote by The Madcap
Eh, we're paid hourly. Besides, half the time what happens is people will say they'll bring a note, they don't, manager throws a hissy and then it's forgotten.

Maybe it isn't forgotten. If you're so strapped for cash then your job (hence job security) is important enough that you should probably follow the rules and not be first off the chopping block if things go wrong.
im not sure what the situation is in america but in the uk you have to be off work for 7 days to get a doctors note, otherwise you just go back.
Quote by codyadamscea
I just put this in the fuuuuuu thread but I thought it was fitting here.
Haha, I just made this, too:

I was on the phone saying that I might not make it to work tomorrow (if my throat gets worse) and someone else overheard and was telling me some family remedy, and they ALWAYS promise it'll work.....they never do...
Seriously? What a ****ed up policy your company has. They treat you like a middle schooler, jeez. Where do you work?
Hi!

Sig Retired.
Quote by la bamba
Seriously? What a ****ed up policy your company has. They treat you like a middle schooler, jeez. Where do you work?
Kenneth Cole. Yep. I seriously don't know how we're in business. Companies like Polo Ralph Lauren make like $30,000 -$100,000 on a saturday, and the majority of the stores (well, at least the outlet ones) RARELY make $10,000. Breaking $2,000 on a weekday is viewed as very good in our store. It'd be one thing if it's been like this since it started, but places are down like a 20-25% from last year.
Quote by The Madcap
Kenneth Cole. Yep. I seriously don't know how we're in business. Companies like Polo Ralph Lauren make like $30,000 -$100,000 on a saturday, and the majority of the stores (well, at least the outlet ones) RARELY make $10,000. Breaking $2,000 on a weekday is viewed as very good in our store. It'd be one thing if it's been like this since it started, but places are down like a 20-25% from last year.

Most Mcdonalds branches make $30k on a Saturday. Considering its all cheap produce then thats so crazy crazy profit if you ever invest in a franchise.
I work in a hotel which means, if i'm out someone else is going to have to replace my shift which will most likely be my manager.

I never really call out sick or anything since my job requires little to no physical work, but if I did I doubt my boss would complain about it since I cover peoples shifts and I work my ****ing ass off.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all