Right now I'm focusing on just guitar tone.
I'd like to know what the bare minimum is to start and get a good acoustic tone.

My idea would be:
1. Either a USB mixer/Interface(Since I don't have Firewire) Also are there USB to firewire adapters?
2. Either a Dynamic, Condenser or Ribbon Microphone for a quality Cabinet sound?(This is a question: Which one would be better to start out with?)
3. Software. (Which is best cheap quality software? Cubase or ProTools?)

1. Interface/Mixer
2.Microphone
3.Software

Is that the proper order?
Give me more information PLEASE.
My Guitars:
Epiphone Prophecy LP GX
(Scenic Painted) American Project Strat
LTD M-10

My Amps:
Peavey XXL
Peavey 5150
Marshall 1960a 410

SELLING 360 $200USD obo
I don't mean acoustic guitar, haha
I mean miking a cabinet.

If it helps im playing through a 5150 original or my JCM
through a Marshall 4X12
My Guitars:
Epiphone Prophecy LP GX
LTD M-10

My Amps:
Peavey XXL
Peavey 5150
Marshall 1960a 410

SELLING 360 $200USD obo
I would really love some guidance!
My Guitars:
Epiphone Prophecy LP GX
LTD M-10

My Amps:
Peavey XXL
Peavey 5150
Marshall 1960a 410

SELLING 360 $200USD obo
Quote by Hardcore101
Right now I'm focusing on just guitar tone.
I'd like to know what the bare minimum is to start and get a good acoustic tone.

My idea would be:
1. Either a USB mixer/Interface(Since I don't have Firewire) Also are there USB to firewire adapters?
2. Either a Dynamic, Condenser or Ribbon Microphone for a quality Cabinet sound?(This is a question: Which one would be better to start out with?)
3. Software. (Which is best cheap quality software? Cubase or ProTools?)

1. Interface/Mixer
2.Microphone
3.Software

Is that the proper order?
Give me more information PLEASE.

1. Go for a 100 to 200$ USB interface. Firewire adapters do exist, I have been looking for them for a while when apple decided to remove firewire from the new macbooks (which later they brought back). However these things tend to suck and really do not work in a lot of cases, hardware recognition problems etc.. especially when you're an apple user..
2. A dynamic mic is a cheaper solution for recording your cabinet. A shure sm-57 is perfect and affordable!
3. ProTools has got more to offer in my opinion, but you'll either need a pro-tools dongle or a digidesign / m-audio interface for it to work. With the cheaper M-audio interfaces you will also be able to run pro-tools, in fact, you get a copy of pro-tools for free with it! Me personally i love Logic Pro over anything (currently running a legal version 8) but this is only for apple users, i have been working with pro-tools and it really is a great DAW too.

Also, some reference monitor speakers are imo really important when you start out recording because you can really hear what you are doing. I currently own a set of KRK rokit 5, (149 euro's each) which quite cheap, but they sound very honest and make me able to make a very decent mix --> (www.myspace.com/itsjimiwelfare) --> (spam spam spam)
Last edited by turinbrakes at Sep 28, 2009,
You can pick up a firewire PCI card for like 10-20 bucks to add firewire support to your computer, it's an easy job.

The Shure SM-57, while maybe cliched, is probably the best and cheapest bet for a mic.

I like to use Audition 1.5 for most of my work. It's old, but in my opinion, it's more stable than anything they released after that.

It's really up to you, experiment.
hug your local pug dealer!
Last edited by cody733 at Sep 29, 2009,