So, it's my birthday soon and my parents have agreed to get me a pedal.

Currently I'm running a Crate V50, which has two 6L6GCs which are in dire need of replacing, so I'm gonna do that soon.

I want to achieve a Paul Gilbert-esque kind of tone. He's got a sharp punchy kind of sound, and I know that's mainly technique, but I'd like something to get me started in the right direction.

I found a few distortions that I kind of wanted, the Big Muff Pi (or Little Muff Pi), the MXR Distortion III and the Barker Electronics Dirty Bomb (A bit dear but I might be able to stretch it that far).

I can't really try them out either, there are no retailers for Barker Electronics in New Zealand, the only MXR distortion they have here is the Dime Distortion and god knows why they don't stock Electro-Harmonix.

Does anyone know which ones would suit what I want?
Quote by Gunpowder
You almost banged her? Well you get an almost high five!

*Stops half way*
You mean the Barber Dirty Bomb.

The Big Muff Pi is a fuzz, not a distortion, and it's nothing like Paul Gilbert's sound. Much too loose.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Oh yeah Barber lol sorry.

So that's out of the mix?

I was listening to demonstrations of the MXR Distortion III and it sounded too... artificial.
Quote by Gunpowder

*Stops half way*
MI Audio Crunch Box
Quote by Junnage
GuitarUser knows what's up*

Quote by SimplyBen
I agree with GuitarUser

Quote by travs2448
digital amps are like Fapping, its good but nothings like the real thing.
Hmm, thanks GuitarUser but that's a bit out of my price range.

Do you guys think I should get an attenuator? Might be better for my purpose and might even sound better. The loudest I usually have my amp on is about 3 or 4, so it might help.

I was looking at the THD Hotplate, and that is WAY too expensive. Checked around the past threads and they say that the Weber MiniMASS is good.

Whaddya think?
Quote by Gunpowder

*Stops half way*
Gilberts Sound comes from his playing really. But pedal wise right now he runs a HBE Compressor, HBE Detox EQ, FUlltone OCD, HBE THC
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks