I've been playing guitar for about, a little close to 4 years now. 4 years in November. And whenever I play a solo, I always bend the string down (towards the high E) rather then bending up (towards my upper body). Is this a bad habit to get into, will it produce a different sound? Because I find I can't bend the strings high enough when I bend them upwards, but I can find the A string all the way down to the high E when I pull.

I'm currently using an Epiphone Firebird with slinky strings.
how do you bend the high E?

i don't really think it matters as long as u achieve the correct pitch
the problem with bending that way is when you bend higher strings you dont have much range to bend the strings so yes it is gererally better to bend up across the neck
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
Quote by Dan shreds
the problem with bending that way is when you bend higher strings you dont have much range to bend the strings so yes it is gererally better to bend up across the neck

Yeah, that's my biggest problem. Whenever I bend up though, its almost like my finger skips past the string and slides off. I have to put it more on the fretboard I guess.
i tend to bend in towards the middle of the fretboard. Bigger range = more extreme bends = more interesting songs.
Quote by Rocker007
Blackrat has won this thread. That is an awsome post.

This was posted right after I posted said post in a completely different thread... Whups.

"There are 3 types of people in this world... Those who can count, and those who can't."
if you bend towards low E you put your finger in a better position to do bend pull offs. Like those really common bends where you bend the string and then pull of and hit the root note.
you need to be able to go both ways (lol) I generally bend up on the G B and E strings and I generally bend down on the E A and D
I do both. Quicker bends I tend to go down, but on higher frets on the e, b and g strings I'll bend up
Quote by Blaargblaarg
I've been playing guitar for about, a little close to 4 years now. 4 years in November. And whenever I play a solo, I always bend the string down (towards the high E) rather then bending up (towards my upper body). Is this a bad habit to get into, will it produce a different sound? Because I find I can't bend the strings high enough when I bend them upwards, but I can find the A string all the way down to the high E when I pull.

I'm currently using an Epiphone Firebird with slinky strings.

Yes, it's a bad habit - bending upwards is far more useful. Why? Because in soloing you spend more time bending the top 3 strings than the bottom 3, and if you bend down you don't have enough room on the fretboard to hit the right pitch. Also if you're trying to play unison bends between the G and B or B and E strings you're not going to be able to do it because you'll be bending the lower string up over the higher one thereby muting it.

Bending downards makes sense on the bottom 3 strings, because again it gives you the most space to bend into.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com