Basically I'm playing Zakk Wylde's Farwell Ballad for my GCSE group performance. I can play it perfectly right up to the fast bit where the wah is introduced.

I need some tips on how to build up on it and get it down to speed. If you're going to reccomend I use a metronome, please go into depth and say how I should use it.

Thanks in advance guys.
set the metronome to a much slower pace, then as you get better at the part increase the metronome speed. and eventually you will be playing it at full speed
Use Guitar Pro, loop the section starting at 50% of the original speed, and take it up 10% each time you're nailing that bit. Seems to work for me.
Put it on 50% for the first time. Maybe you will think is too slow but do it anyway. Play it the same speed for 3 times and then increase the tempo by 5%. If you reach a point that you are not comfortable with your speed just leave it at that tempo and practise it over & over again until it feels right for you to increase it
Quote by 05t16
If you're going to reccomend I use a metronome, please go into depth and say how I should use it.

Set the tempo to the one at which you can play the difficult parts cleanly. Then gradually increase the tempo and practice until you reach the speed you need. For example if a song's tempo is 200 BPM and you can play it at 150 perfectly, try it at 160 the next day, and 170 the day after..etc....until you reach 200. And make sure that
Quote by Khann
Use Guitar Pro, loop the section starting at 50% of the original speed, and take it up 10% each time you're nailing that bit. Seems to work for me.

I'll try this method first, wish me luck
Play it on guitar pro and reduce the tempo by like, 25% (more if needed) and then if you can do it well, bump it up by 10% and repeat until you get there. It's not particularly hard, Farewell Ballad's 'shred' part isn't that long either and there are a few breaks.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
Quote by iSlash
Play it on guitar pro and reduce the tempo by like, 25% (more if needed) and then if you can do it well, bump it up by 10% and repeat until you get there. It's not particularly hard, Farewell Ballad's 'shred' part isn't that long either and there are a few breaks.

Thanks, any overall tips for playing the song well? I've been told that vibrato is very important in this song, anything else?
I agree using metronome, but here and there try to push your limits and force yourself. Combine both methods!
The song explains an emotion, as an end to lifelong mysteries, and the fantasy, for the fantasy is final result of reality...
Fantasy Engines
Josip Pesut
If it's a hard lick, something I'm anticipating I'm going to have to work on for a few weeks to bring up to speed, here's what I'll do.
Once I've got it memorized, I'll play it at about 50% tempo for the first few days. Even if I can play it faster, I won't increase the tempo at this point - the idea is to get the muscle memory really built up, and increasing the tempo doesn't help with this. After that, I'll usually bump it up to around 65%, and then after that start creeping up the tempo gradually a couple of bpm each day. Note, I'm still not playing it as fast as I can, just gradually bringing it up. Sometimes I'll reach song tempo without ever hitting the point where I can't play it any faster.
If I do hit the point where I can't play it any faster and I'm not at song speed yet, I'll back the speed off a little, and keep it there for a few days w/o increasing it, then start creeping it up again each day after it feels like I've got something in reserve again.
Once in a while, I'll do something completely different. This only works when you've been playing that lick for a while, and have the muscle memory well established, and no big technical issues with it, you just can't get your fingers going fast enough. Suppose the lick is a couple of bars long. I'll just crank the metronome all the way to song speed or even faster. Then play just the first beat's worth for about a minute, then the first 2 beats for the a minute, then the first 3 beats, and so on. Sometimes I'll work from the end first instead - last beat, then the last 2, and so on. This is not something you should do every time you practice the lick, just once in a while to give yourself a jolt. And if you find that after a few minutes it's really not happening, don't force it, back off and try it another time after more slow practice.
If after all of this, I still can't get it up to speed, the next thing I try is breaking the lick into smaller chunks and working on those.
And if that doesn't work, I'll take the part that is giving me the most trouble and construct an exercise to target the problem very specifically. Here's an example of how I do this. Suppose a certain lick has a very tricky fingering pattern, and it is also flying all over the neck at the same time. I can't fully concentrate on solving the fingering, because I'm trying to fly all over the neck at the same time. So, I'll make an exercise that has exactly the same fingering pattern but stays in one position. I'll work on that a bit, and once I have that aspect improved, go back to flying all over the neck.
And finally, if I still can't get it, I'll go off and work on something else, while practicing the bastard lick just enough to keep it from getting rusty. Sometimes, it's the improvements gained from working on something else, that proves to be the missing link. I'll come back to it after a few weeks.
There are a few other things I try in these situations, but this post is getting long!