hey guys,
Sorry if this is a stupid question.

I have a USA fat strat. I was just wondering, if i replaced the middle pickup with a non reverse wound pickup what effect would i have?

i am assuming that the middle position would sound like a normal pickup (not as quacky) but the 2nd and 4th positions would lose their hum cancelling?

I am after some way, if possible, to have a middle position more usable like a standard single coil but retain the middle/neck combo position as it is

Thanks
Unless you replace it with a completely different pickup, it won't affect the sound of the middle position.

I'm not sure about the tone in the "in between" positions. You'd definitely have the hum. In fact, you might have twice as much of it, as the induced hum in both pickups would add up, rather than cancel one another out.
anybody know if putting a non reverse wound pup in the middle would stil give me the same sound in the in between settings?

For example, the Jeff Beck strat is standard wired. wonder what the 2nd and 4th positions sound like
If you replace the pickups so that they're all of the same polarity, all that will happen is in positions 2+4 you'll still get the same hum that you get when using just one pickup. That's it. There's nothing to gain from doing it.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
from what i hear, going NRWRW sounds marginally more vintage, but i haven't tried it myself. depends on how badly you need the hum cancelling, really.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?