Any tips? I'm trying to write a song for my girlfriend (keyword: trying) and I just can't come up with anything that doesn't sound like i'm a fruitcake.
Get a massive heroin addiction, and write a song about how much you love smack but leave the lyrics ambiguous enough so people think it's about a girl. That's a trick that's worked for just about every band ever.
Fender MIM Telecaster (w/SD Little '59)
Boss DS-1
Electro-Harmonix Little Big Muff
Digitech EX-7
Marshall Echohead
Fender Pro Junior
Sorry dude, all love songs make you sound like a fruitcake. You're not cool unless you're writing a song about ripping heads off aborted foetus's.

But seriously, as long as it comes from the heart, she'll love any song you write for her.
I robbed my girlfriends favourite song, changed the lyrics and transposed to a guitar. The outcome was... fun
By the way, don't actually do that, you'll probably end up selling your guitar and dying in an AIDS-ridden cesspit, which isn't gonna impress any girl.
Fender MIM Telecaster (w/SD Little '59)
Boss DS-1
Electro-Harmonix Little Big Muff
Digitech EX-7
Marshall Echohead
Fender Pro Junior
i know this is isn't the most romantic gesture but i'm about 3 songs behind on writing lyrics for my band, and i like to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. So by doing this for the mrs, it gets her off my back and it means a track that we jam becomes a song we can actually play live.

I don't really care if I sound like a putz, its just we play funk and it wouldn't be right if the words didn't sound ridiculously happy. If only i was a more prolific writer.

Shit i can't even think of any love songs that don't sound depressing.
Dont straight out have lyrics saying...I love you, you are god....blah blah blah.
Make it.....symbolic
Lyrics that dont actually literally give the message....but when u think about it....it does
If Cannibal Corpse wrote a love song it would be okay.
"And on the 4th day God created fog and regretted it bitterly"
Quote by ridder
i know this is isn't the most romantic gesture but i'm about 3 songs behind on writing lyrics for my band, and i like to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. So by doing this for the mrs, it gets her off my back and it means a track that we jam becomes a song we can actually play live.

I don't really care if I sound like a putz, its just we play funk and it wouldn't be right if the words didn't sound ridiculously happy. If only i was a more prolific writer.

Shit i can't even think of any love songs that don't sound depressing.

Love - Def Leppard
Grow Old With You - Adam Sandler (from the wedding singer)
Don't know man writing a love song that doesn't suck is hard these day's i wrote one a good one a while back. Just try avoiding all the overused rhymes and words that are abused by pop music.
Just don't be cliche. Or, if you use a cliche, write that into the lyrics and make it more lighthearted.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
What do you really dig about her?

See her from some quirky angle and work that.

It doesn't even have to be a love song, just a song about her in some fashion.
BOLD.
write a song about death coming to you, but give it only a ''fruitcake'' line or something so people think it is about a girl coming to you
Make it metaphoric, 80% of love songs are TOO straight forward to the point where it sounds like and eight year old with 3 chromosomes could have written the song for his favorite building block, this doesn't meen it cannot come from the heart, just make your thoughts be more subtle but still beautiful, write from more of an aloof kind of personality instead of a bard kind of thing where the lyrics are so straightforward that you want to shoot your brain out just because you wrote it. remember-Symbolism&Metaphors beauty portrayed in metaphors.
Quote by herby190
When I saw that, I thought of musical notes.... my elementary school teachers taught them as "tee-tees" "ta-tas" and a bunch of other nonsense....
Jawbreaker
Quote by JohnnyV
I'm pretty sure the feeling i get when i blow my load on my computer screen is a f*ck of a lot different than when i shoot in on my girlfriend's face.

Music things

PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone G400
Vox AC15C1
Just write it from the heart, simple as that. If she makes you feel like a better person just by being near you, write about that. If you get butterflies whenever you see her, say that. Just write down how she makes you honestly feel, and you'll write the perfect song for HER. (Remember there is no universal song for all girls, each girl has their own unique song that goes with them, as they are all unique individuals. They key is to write a song that would best fit THAT girl.)