I wanna buy a 7 stringer, but I have a few questions first:
How does it handle lower tunings easier?

Say, if I wanted to tune to A standard, then I'd have to tune the B string all the way down to E (I think) which wouldn't make it easier.. So why do people say its easier to tune down?/Less hassle?

As of yet, I only know of one band that I like that pretty much always use 7 strings, and they were the guys who got me into 7 strings (Meshuggah).. It was this video that made me like wow I want one : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5YEqmIIdj8

What other bands predominantly or only use 7 strings? I'm used to Meshuggah, so if it was like the same sort of genre that'd be good, but as long as its metal I'm not bothered. Are there any shredders out there who only/or use like 7 strings on some alubsm etc.?

If I eventually buy one, I want one in the £300-£500 range, but I dunno what to look at.. I saw Ibanez RG7321's which look alright, but they're Ibanez pickups, and tbh I don't think it would be much of an upgrade from my current guitar..

Btw, I'm only buying new, and I don't wanna change pups, I wanna buy it stock.
Last edited by Lollage123 at Sep 27, 2009,
*looks at avatar* *shakes fist*
"I will endure, hide away...

I would outrun the scythe, glaring with failure"

Opeth - April Ethereal
Quote by Lollage123

What other bands predominantly or only use 7 strings? I'm used to Meshuggah, so if it was like the same sort of genre that'd be good, but as long as its metal I'm not bothered. Are there any shredders out there who only/or use like 7 strings on some alubsm etc.?

Jeff Loomis uses seven strings. Nergal from Behemoth, Munky from Korn, Stephen Carpenter from Deftones....although some of those aren't really shredders.
"When I was a kid I inhaled frequently. That was the point."
Some people may flame, and they're full justified, but Trivium do play 7s now.
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
It was Trivium that made me want a 7-string, and I also read some where Slipknot uses them as well.

And before any one comments, yes, I know, I have awful taste in music, but I love it
Nah, don't get one. It's like having three arms, you can do stuff easier, but it's just weird. Harder to strum chords and stuff too because you have one extra string to mute.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30