Over $1,000 for moderate quality. $2,500+ is where I expect to have no flaws and for it to look not only beautiful, but play and sound perfect (Maybe that's where PRS comes in...)
I'd spend $5000 for my perfect guitar, although my price expectations are a little high cause I'm from Australia, everything is expensive over here >.>
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by FallsDownStairs
Over $1,000 for moderate quality. $2,500+ is where I expect to have no flaws and for it to look not only beautiful, but play and sound perfect (Maybe that's where PRS comes in...)

Ha, I wouldn't limit your expectations by setting PRS as being the best. He's just one man who made a name for himself. Certainly they are good quality, but I can see them going the way of Gibson.

I spent £1800 on my guitar, it is pretty much perfect. I love it. Might swap the bridge humbucker in favour of another single coil if that's possible however, I adore the sound of the single coils on this guitar.
Quote by Notmewtwoguitar
Ha, I wouldn't limit your expectations by setting PRS as being the best. He's just one man who made a name for himself. Certainly they are good quality, but I can see them going the way of Gibson.

I spent £1800 on my guitar, it is pretty much perfect. I love it. Might swap the bridge humbucker in favour of another single coil if that's possible however, I adore the sound of the single coils on this guitar.

I was making a reference to PRS because if you've ever been to their factory or watched a factory tour, any guitar with a flaw they cannot fix gets cut in half and not sold. I never stated PRS to be the best, but they do have some of the highest quality I've seen next to small luthiers and some Fenders and such.
Define quality.

Your pretty much can't go wrong for guitars priced over £500 in the UK, providing you play them in the shop and buy then and there.
But anything over £300 is pretty solid can can perform just as well.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I don't flinch at spending $1000 - $2000 on a good guitar, or more for a great guitar. I would have paid full price for my Caparison ($2400 or so) based on its quality but luckily I found it used in perfect condition so I didn't have to.
Unless I make it big, I don't think I'll spend over $1200 on a guitar.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Consider where the different price ranges are coming from and what the word quality means.
Most if not all guitars under 1000.00 (CDN) are made in Indonesia, China, Korea and Mexico. This includes famous brands' lower lines (Ibanez, ESP, PRS, Fender, etc).
After that you're basically into American, Japanese, Canadian, Britain etc where labour is more and hopefully materials, design & quality are better.
So my answer is (new) you need to spend at least 1000.00 to get a quality guitar which gets you top end of the lower line models or low end of the top line models.
Moving on.....
It varies from company to company. But it's generally when the guitar is made where the company is. They're no longer cutting corners to make it a cheaper guitar or saving the best materials for the better guitars. It's not always true though. Who's to say that the Chinese cannot make high quality guitars. If you don't believe me, look at the Ibanez Chinese Customs (ARX500 and Artcores). Country of origin means nothing, it's what the companies tell them to do. You can easily find some Indonesians who can make a guitar that will rival any custom shop guitar. The thing is that guitars require manpower. A company can easily make Gibson-quality guitars in Indonesia for a fraction of the cost, but they cannot fulfill the demand of those guitars without reducing quality or raising price. It's all economics. Gibson Les Pauls are expensive not because they're twice as hard to make as an SG, but because they're in much higher demand. I think you can get a quality guitar at $1000. But it all depends on what you're looking for. I found my dream guitar at $1000. It's not my most expensive one but it's my favorite and I can't think of any ways it could be better besides pickups and bad color choices, but those are easily fixed.
my perfect guitar cost me 250 bucks, although originally it was much more and i got a great deal on it :P quality is not always based on a high price tag
Gear
Schecter Hellraiser
Custom Built Les Paul
Ibanez Rg5ex1
line 6 DI-silver
Bugera 6260
line 6 spider ii

To Set The Ocean On fire

Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends