So i'm trying to find out what gear this band uses to get their sound, as i am trying to emulate it or at least get something similar.
The band is Chore
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyVcPOSMeoo&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q5PYl-y4Tw&feature=related

In the first video, both guitarists are playing humbuckers, and one of them is using a Marshall stack. The second vid is less clear, but i think one of the guitarists is playing a single-coil. Although i want the recorded sound, i think due to the low budget, what they're playing in the videos is what they recorded with, but i might be wrong. So can anyone tell me how to get their sound?

I have an Ibanez SZ320, while i'm mostly looking for an amp (head and cab), i'm open to guitar suggestions too.

Any help would be much appreciated.
I did not get my Spaghetti-O's, I got spaghetti. I want the press to know this.
Executed by injection, Oklahoma.
~~ Thomas J. Grasso, d. March 20, 1995.

Lyrics/Poetry

Fires Burning
What you might want is a more modern voiced amp. What's your budget?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
its EL34 powered and Marshall-y - a 1/2 stack as far as I can tell.
Budget?
Gigging or Home use?
Used or New?
Tubes OK?
Budget is basically however much i want to spend (within reason) on a particular amp. I've saved up quite a bit, but i can't spend it all, and what i do spend has to be worth it. Definitely nothing too fancy though. This is going to be for gigging and recording, used or new is fine and Tubes are pretty much a given.
I was looking at some Mesas, especially the Tremoverb, but i'm not sure if it's too metally for me.

Lyrics/Poetry

Fires Burning
Quote by Skin the Sun
Budget is basically however much i want to spend (within reason) on a particular amp. I've saved up quite a bit, but i can't spend it all, and what i do spend has to be worth it. Definitely nothing too fancy though. This is going to be for gigging and recording, used or new is fine and Tubes are pretty much a given.
I was looking at some Mesas, especially the Tremoverb, but i'm not sure if it's too metally for me.

Well the Rectifier series isn't just slated for Metal, plently of people use them for more rock like tones. Check out the Marshall JCM-900 series or the channel switching 800s. I find they can do more modern tones while still retaining a somewhat vintage flavor.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
^+1

I dunno what they use, but i can tell you that I can achieve this sound with my Laney easily. Also to your guitar.

Laney GH50L + Framus Fr212 would be my tip.
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
Last edited by OrangeWalls at Sep 27, 2009,
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Well the Rectifier series isn't just slated for Metal, plently of people use them for more rock like tones. Check out the Marshall JCM-900 series or the channel switching 800s. I find they can do more modern tones while still retaining a somewhat vintage flavor.

Yeah, i know the rectos can do other stuff, the tremoverb for instance has great cleans and a sweet blues channel, but i couldn't find any vids of anyone using a similar distorted tone to what i want, it was all pretty much metal, and I can't try it out because they don't make them anymore, i was planning on ebaying it from the US (i'm in australia) if i decided i liked it enough. I use the rect metal tone on my Gt-6, it's the closest i could get to the sound i want, it sounds pretty good if you don't turn it up too much (probably the 60 watt cube amp im currently playing through though). Also another band i like uses a Dual Caliber through a Marshall cab, their tone is pretty sweet.
Im currently looking into the JCM 900's as well as the 800 channel switching marshall's you suggested and the Laneys (thanks OrangeWalls), and i've also been checking out the DSL jcm2000 marshalls.

Lyrics/Poetry

Fires Burning
Quote by Skin the Sun
Yeah, i know the rectos can do other stuff, the tremoverb for instance has great cleans and a sweet blues channel, but i couldn't find any vids of anyone using a similar distorted tone to what i want, it was all pretty much metal, and I can't try it out because they don't make them anymore, i was planning on ebaying it from the US (i'm in australia) if i decided i liked it enough. I use the rect metal tone on my Gt-6, it's the closest i could get to the sound i want, it sounds pretty good if you don't turn it up too much (probably the 60 watt cube amp im currently playing through though). Also another band i like uses a Dual Caliber through a Marshall cab, their tone is pretty sweet.
Im currently looking into the JCM 900's as well as the 800 channel switching marshall's you suggested and the Laneys (thanks OrangeWalls), and i've also been checking out the DSL jcm2000 marshalls.

Honestly, just try any of the Rectifiers and you'll know what the Tremoverb is like although I think the Single Rectifier would be the closest.

The DSL is cool and all but the 900 and 800 are a little better to my ears. Also try and see if you can play those amps with the different tube layouts because some 800 and 900 models have EL34s or 5881 or 6550s.

I have a thing for Marshalls with 5881 tubes. They just sound huge.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
What's the main difference between those tubes?

Lyrics/Poetry

Fires Burning
Quote by Skin the Sun
What's the main difference between those tubes?

Probably plate voltage but sound wise, I believe that the 5881 tube is of the 6L6 side so that'll give bigger bass and a slightly different gain character. Whereas the EL34 tubes are a little bit more of that classic Marshall sound.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Also, there are heaps of JCM 800 models, like the 2203, 2204, 2205. Is there a particular model you had in mind, or one that is superior to the others?

Lyrics/Poetry

Fires Burning
Last edited by Skin the Sun at Sep 27, 2009,
Quote by Skin the Sun
Also, there are heaps of JCM 800 models, like the 2203, 2204, 2204. Is there a particular model you had in mind, or one that is superior to the others?

Well the 2203 and 2204 models are the first JCM 800 models (prior to the model 1959 and 1987 JCM 800 series [Yeah they exist]). They were single channel, equipped with EL34 tubes and are less gainy than newer 800s. These amps were like a jumpered plexi witha tad more gain,

Then you have the 2205, 2210, 4210, 4205 etc... Channel switching 800s. Depending on the year, the amp could be loaded with EL34s or 5881s. Generally, the first generation channel switchers are the better sounding ones (all opinions again) but the 5881 loaded ones just bark with a bit more authority.

I think (depending on how much headroom you need) You should check out the 800s with 5881s (later '80s 2205/2210). They might be up your alley.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Sep 27, 2009,
Alright, thanks a lot for all your help, it's much appreciated.

Lyrics/Poetry

Fires Burning
Quote by Skin the Sun
Alright, thanks a lot for all your help, it's much appreciated.

No problem man.

Be sure to try a whole bunch of amps though, that's the best way to be happy about your amp purchase.

Happy hunting!
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster