Poll Options
View poll results: What sounds better?
Bad guitar, good amp
137 82%
Good guitar, bad amp
30 18%
Voters: 167.
Page 1 of 2
So for my first guitar, I'm wondering if I should get a crappy guitar but try to get a good amp, or other way around. Will a guitar sound better if you have a bad guitar but a good amp, or a good guitar and a bad amp?
Crap guitar with a good amp. Always.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
For playing, I'd prefer a better guitar.

You could have the perfect tone, but if your guitar was horrible and you didnt play on it, it'd be pointless.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Or you could level it off, get a okay amp and an okay guitar, but if your gonna buy the crappy guitar and good amp and replace the crappy guitar pretty soon afterwards, i'd just do that.
Poop.

Yes, poop.
Quote by MattAnderson111
Or you could level it off, get a okay amp and an okay guitar, but if your gonna buy the crappy guitar and good amp and replace the crappy guitar pretty soon afterwards, i'd just do that.

ie what I said.
So it's better to get like a crappy Squier with a good Marshall amp than getting a good Ibanez with a crappy Marshall amp?
Quote by dsan224
So it's better to get like a crappy Squier with a good Marshall amp than getting a good Ibanez with a crappy Marshall amp?

You know what? If you're going to just be noddling at home and won't be gigging, then a good guitar and a crap amp would be fine, but a good amp is an asset to have in a band/gigging situation.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
You should definitely get a better guitar because it will make it easier to learn.

When you're just starting out it doesn't matter how crappy your tone is, or how loud you play because you're gunna sound like **** anyways and no one will want to hear you.

Definitely do not get a better amp than guitar.
Whats your budget?

Why not go used for maybe the amp, and get a good guitar and a good amp?

OR go used with both...and get an awesome guitar and an awesome amp...all depending on your budget though
Quote by dsan224

As long as your Marshall isn't an MG, yes.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by geetar_man0
Whats your budget?

Why not go used for maybe the amp, and get a good guitar and a good amp?

OR go used with both...and get an awesome guitar and an awesome amp...all depending on your budget though

Well considering it will be my first guitar, I don't really know how much I'll like playing guitar, so I want to be safe. My budget for guitar and amp combined is around 200-250ish, I want to be safe. I was thinking of getting an Ibanez RG120 for $200 and getting a Marshall MG10CD for $60, but now I'm considering getting a guitar not as great maybe around 100ish like a Squier or a low-end Ibanez, and getting a Roland Micro Cube which is $130 and MUCH better than the Marshall MG10CD. Do you think this is a better decision?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You know what? If you're going to just be noddling at home and won't be gigging, then a good guitar and a crap amp would be fine, but a good amp is an asset to have in a band/gigging situation.

Agreed. It much nicer playing on a better guitar imo if you're not in a band / giging, in which case you'd want a better amp.
I would have rather had my Suhr and my Spider, than my Ibanez GIO and my TT as I did.
Don't pay attention to the bandwagon.
It's more important to me how my instrument plays and feels, it makes me want to play more than the sound does.

When I pick up my Suhr for a 5 minute break... next thing I know I've played it for 20. That rarely happens with a beginner's guitar. If it does, you don't shrug and carry on playing for another 40 minutes.
Last edited by Notmewtwoguitar at Sep 27, 2009,
Quote by dsan224
Well considering it will be my first guitar, I don't really know how much I'll like playing guitar, so I want to be safe. My budget for guitar and amp combined is around 200-250ish, I want to be safe. I was thinking of getting an Ibanez RG120 for $200 and getting a Marshall MG10CD for $60, but now I'm considering getting a guitar not as great maybe around 100ish like a Squier or a low-end Ibanez, and getting a Roland Micro Cube which is $130 and MUCH better than the Marshall MG10CD. Do you think this is a better decision?

Ah ok,

I would go for a ibanez over a squier if they're both going to be low end.
Quote by dsan224

Better, yes. Best option, no. I'd go for a $150 Ibanez Gio and a $100 Peavey Vypyr 15. If you don't play metal, get a Vox Pathfinder 15R. Either way, the Ibanez is a pretty good option for a beginner guitar.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
the gio is an excellent beginners guitar. I would rather rather have a better guitar,with a better feel than a crap guitar your likely to be more enthusiastic if you like your instrument.
even though you could do with a nice amp you would enjoy yourself more playing a quality instrument rather than a piece of crap. after all, would we still be playing if we didn't enjoy it?
Crap guitar through good amp sounds better.

Example: A Squier Strat through a JCM800 will sound much better than a Fender American Strat through a Spider III.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
for sound a good amp is more important but for that to work you need to be able to play the guitar you have
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Crap guitar with a good amp. Always.

This man knows of what he speaks. You can't make a crap amp sound good, but you can make a crap guitar sound good. At least in my case.
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
So I guess it's a good choice to get a Squier with a Micro Cube than get an Ibanez RG120 with a Marshall MG10CD?
Quote by Notmewtwoguitar
I would have rather had my Suhr and my Spider, than my Ibanez GIO and my TT as I did.
Don't pay attention to the bandwagon.
It's more important to me how my instrument plays and feels, it makes me want to play more than the sound does.

When I pick up my Suhr for a 5 minute break... next thing I know I've played it for 20. That rarely happens with a beginner's guitar. If it does, you don't shrug and carry on playing for another 40 minutes.

This. The tone is in the fingers, and it has been proven many many times.

There was a vid posted in another thread where Satriani plays Surfing With The Alien on this kid's setup which was pretty horrible, and it still sounded like Satriani.

Same with EJ, there's the G-DEC interview where he plays with his signature and a little $100 solid state Fender G-DEC and it still sounded like EJ.

So my vote goes to good guitar, crap amp. For the amp, however, you can just get a line6 Pocket Pod which actually sounds pretty good for practicing.
Last edited by FallsDownStairs at Sep 27, 2009,
Everyone (mostly) is missing an important part in the post.

For MY FIRST Guitar.

For your first guitar, get a decent guitar and a cheapo practice amp.

The whole thing where people say
"A bad guitar and good amp is better than good guitar and bad amp"

I think that is directed towards people who already have a guitar and amp and are looking to upgrade. Generally you're better off upgrading the amp first.

But for your FIRST guitar, you definately want a decent one. You don't need to go nutz and get the most awesome guitar out there, but at least a mid level.

DON'T get a "Crappy" guitar as your FIRST guitar. BAD idea.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
In my opinion the importance of amps are over rated by most people. It is much easier and cheaper to build an OK amplifier that it is to build a cheap guitar. Mass production of electronics has allowed for someone to buy a good home practice amp for well under $300.00 (CDN). When it comes to guitars you pretty well need to spend at least 300 (again CDN funds) to get a (new) guitar that plays decently and stays in tune. As someone who has played many years, I couldn't imagine trying to play on a POS guitar no matter what amp I plugged it into and to be honest I find it kind of funny that someone who doesn't gig regularly for money would feel the need to noodle away thru an expensive amp with no one listening.
Moving on.....
Quote by EndTheRapture51
For playing, I'd prefer a better guitar.

You could have the perfect tone, but if your guitar was horrible and you didnt play on it, it'd be pointless.

+1.

but i'm biased because after playing a while, I much prefer having a good guitar to a good amp because a good guitar will help you be more creative and emotional with the music. and amp can only do so much for you, although it is necessary for the best sound.
If the guitar isn't completely horrible (a Squier would not be completely horrible), then I'd go with that through a good amp.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
ESP Standard+Marshall MG.
Pros-You will get totally addicted to playing such a kick ass guitar.
Cons- Crap tone.

ESP LTD M10 + Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
Pros- Tone of the Gods
Cons- You won't enjoy playing a crap guitar.
For home practice, a good guitar and a Line 6 POD w/ headphones.
For gigging/bands, start with a sh*tty guitar and a good amp, then upgrade the guitar/pickups later.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Well its tricky, cause you want to play a guitar that is super comfortable to play, otherwise why play it if it hurts?
But then you have a crap amp, which gives you crap tone, and that's no fun.
On the other hand, if you get the crap guitar with the good amp, my theory is (I haven't tried this, its just a theory), a better amp will bring out all tonal qualities of any guitar, making a bad guitar sound bad. Granted, you can have an awesome EQ, and great effects and it will sound decent, but you'll be able to tell its a crap guitar.
If you have a crap amp though it will make everything sound the same.
Therefor by my mind, I'd get good guitar, crap amp.
Quote by Baby Joel
Well its tricky, cause you want to play a guitar that is super comfortable to play, otherwise why play it if it hurts?
But then you have a crap amp, which gives you crap tone, and that's no fun.
On the other hand, if you get the crap guitar with the good amp, my theory is (I haven't tried this, its just a theory), a better amp will bring out all tonal qualities of any guitar, making a bad guitar sound bad. Granted, you can have an awesome EQ, and great effects and it will sound decent, but you'll be able to tell its a crap guitar.
If you have a crap amp though it will make everything sound the same.
Therefor by my mind, I'd get good guitar, crap amp.

+1
If you buy a decent amp the first time then you may never have to buy another amp down the track.

Though it does feel nice playing a nice guitar.... Makes you all warm and fuzzy inside LOL
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

When you're first starting, I believe a good guitar is more important. You'll probably end up doing a lot of your early practise unplugged anyway and if you have a crap guitar that can easily put you off playing.

My advice would be to either split your money 50/50 on both, or split slightly in favour of a better guitar. Just remember that in future, when you're not a beginner, it's your amp that becomes much more important.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
You don't need a great amp, just one that isn't utter ****e.

I can't think of anything less motivating than the awful farting sounds that come out of the 10 watt boxes of crap they give away in starter packs. There is no word to describe how bad the likes of the BB Blaster are. People wrongly criticise the likes of the Microcube because they forget what they're competing with - those small portable modellers are so much better sounding than what used to pass for a starter amp that it's not even worth comparing them.

Just be glad you didn't start playing 15 years ago when you didn't have the option of a decent sounding starter amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Well it varies, Since your budget is so low I'm not sure what to say. If you have a good guitar and you play through a crappy amp you may not get enough sustain but if you play a bad guitar through a good amp it may highlight how bad the guitar sounds. Then again you won't have a good tonal ear when you first start out (Even now my tonal ear is still learning) So I think a decent guitar through a decent amp should be good for you. There is much more to it than just having the guitar and amp, though. Guitar set up and maintenance are big factors.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Better guitar, it is a pain in the @ss having to tune your guitar every 5 minutes, having a 1 cm action and being almost impossible to play barres.
After you get good you may want to upgrade your amp.
When starting: playability > tone
I think for a first guitar a good guitar is important. Your ears won't be able to tell good/bad tone, not really. I'd say get a nice guitar and as decent an amp as you can. Nice =/= expensive. I mean a well set up, easy to play guitar . Take a guitar playing friend with you if you have one. Have fun!
At the beginner level I would say don't worry so much about the amp. It's the playing that's important. As you get better though I highly suggest investing in amp first.
Page 1 of 2