So I was going to get an Ibanez RG120 with a Marshall MG10CD as my first guitar and amp but I felt the amp was too low quality and the guitar was better than the amp. So now I'm thinking of buying a cheaper guitar but with a better amp. Is the Roland Micro Cube a good amp for a beginner?
Yeah, Cubes are excellent practice amps, Micro Cube is no exception.
Guitars:
Ibanez S5470 w/ DiMarzio Crunch Lab & Liquifire
Ibanez RG1527
Ibanez SA160
Ibanez E-Acoustic
Selfmade Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Twang King & Chopper T

"Maybe one day we'll wake up and this will all just be a dream"
^All except the Cube 15

Microcube however is excellent.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
It's an excellent beginner amp, but because it's portable and runs off batteries it's still useful to keep even if you upgrade to a bigger amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
For a practise amp, the cubes are really nice , the micro cube sounds better than the marshall, its a nice lil amp.
So it's better to get a Squier with a Micro Cube than to get an Ibanez RG120 with a Marshall MG10CD?
I use my Micro Cube every time I play guitar, you can get everything out of it, they're excellent
Yes man prob, the Squire plays nice for the price. i mean its not the hottest and best guitar ever but it plays still quite nice. In the future you will problably upgrade for a better guitar anyways so no point really getting the Ibanez (although its a better guitar you would prob end up buying a better one in the end, you see what i mean?). Its better for now that you get the micro cube, you won't regret it , trust me, its a nice lil amp.
Kk, the cheapest Ibanez at guitar center is $130 and the Micro Cube is also $130, this goes over my budget it is $260, so maybe I should just get a Squier.
Quote by dsan224
Kk, the cheapest Ibanez at guitar center is $130 and the Micro Cube is also $130, this goes over my budget it is $260, so maybe I should just get a Squier.

What's your budget $200?
Quote by dsan224
Somewhere in that range yes.

I'm thinking of getting this guitar which is from rondomusic.com

http://www.rondomusic.com/product2197.html

It's only 3/4th size which is why I am hesitant about it. Also only one pickup.

No, don't.
Either get the Squier or save up a little extra for the Ibanez.
Simples.
All strats are 21 frets, they used to make them with 22, but it's very rare, so just go to the local guitar store and as for a Squier starter pack or something.
Even the ESP LTD starter pack is pretty cool.
Quote by dsan224
What about this one?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Bullet-Strat-with-Tremolo-104494315-i1385540.gc

Ehh only 21 frets doesn't look that great but it's affordable. Remember I don't even know if I'll like guitar all that much so I want to be safe.

Why are frets an issue? Trust me, you won't be worrying about anything past the 17th fret for months.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by grimms
All strats are 21 frets, they used to make them with 22, but it's very rare, so just go to the local guitar store and as for a Squier starter pack or something.
Even the ESP LTD starter pack is pretty cool.

If I'm not mistaken, don't the starter packs all come with Frontmans? Haven't heard of any with a microcube, I could very well be wrong though.

But yeah, all strats are 21 frets. There's clearly nothing wrong with that if you look at the number of players who play strats. I recommend going to GC and playing a few of the Squiers they have, then choosing whichever one feels best to you; you should at least have some sense of that even if you don't play guitar yet.
People are so lucky...
They start out with a Micro Cube as a beginner...? I had to get a Micro Cube as a upgrade...

I started out with the most awkward amp.
It was one of those guitar kits.
Get an amp and a guitar.
From some company named Academy.
Anyways, the sound is just horrible that comes out from it.

By all means, it's a great amp though, get the Micro Cube.
Gear

Ibanez RG350DX Electric Guitar With DiMarzio Tone Zone
Academy Electric Guitar
BeaverCreek Acoustic Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey Sanpera Footswitch I
If I choose to continue playing guitar after a while, how long do you guys think I will keep the Micro Cube?
Probably a year or two,

my first amp was some dodge one that the only way to get distortion was to turn the volume up to max
Uh oh, I checked and the Micro Cube doesn't have a headphone jack. This is a big minus for me because my parents are usually home and I like in a townhouse and when they're home I would usually have to use headphones.
The Roland micro cube is a micro tone machine! When I sold my Hot Rod Deluxe, the cube was all I had left. That and a digitech multi-pedal. Well low and behold, the cube kept me inspired to play guitar, and I had been playing for five years.

They are so worth it, I can't say enough about them.

Oh and edit:
I still have mine and play it when I need something quieter.
My main amp now it a '65 Deluxe Reverb reissue.

Trust me, they're great.
Last edited by alwaysdancing at Sep 27, 2009,