Hey guys,
Recently I've found myself listening to a whole lot of prodigy and pendulum and I'd love to try and write some similar things. I'm guessing that its all done on computer and I have no idea where to start. Is there any programs in particular that are easy to use and would allow me to make some techno/dance kind of stuff?
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
If you have a ton of money you could get Reason.

edit: I actually have no idea how much it is.
Quote by ChemicalFire
He was too stunned by my fresh truths.

Quote by GodofCheesecake
"And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you darn kids and your meddling and your breakadowns!"

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Metal is a sub-genre of metalcore since metalcore is more popular therefore better.
Last edited by Monolith295 at Sep 27, 2009,
Yeah I've screwed around with Reason before. If you're gonna get it, get a midi keyboard too. But other than that, Fruity Loops is prolly the cheaper (free?) alternative. I've never used it really.

Oh and also Reason is going to take some time to learn how to use, it has a ****ing million features.

BTW, nice avatar. BTBAM ftw
prodigy and pendulum are drum n bass

use reason 4 (free if you know where to look)
or FL Studio, (")

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A PIG
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
First off

progidy are hardcore and pendulum used to be DnB before they changed.

But depends on your budget, Id reccomend EnergyXT to start
Quote by Fucking loads of people who were appeasing me in order for me to write
blues_to_thrash, you are the master of epic lulz

My Music

2K11
Well oviously I'm not going to write.
Drum and Bass/Hardcore but not punk hardcore music writing software needed :P
Energy XT to start aye. Meaning its pretty simple?
So the basis of these programs works on taking samples from other songs and inserting them doesn't it? Or can you create drum tracks and such from scratch on there?
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Yeah, I've got FL Studio 8 (free) and it's incredibly easy to use. There's also presets with it you can use if you want to. I'd suggest getting it.
Quote by ChemicalFire
He was too stunned by my fresh truths.

Quote by GodofCheesecake
"And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you darn kids and your meddling and your breakadowns!"

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Metal is a sub-genre of metalcore since metalcore is more popular therefore better.
I recommend not asking a guitar forum. No offense to any of you folks, but there's just a lot more to making electronic music than one DAW.

Not saying that any of them are bad or anything. But don't just go with Fruity Loops, Reason, or any other DAW for that matter 'cause everyone loves it because they've never tried anything else. In the long run, you're gonna need a lot more than just a computer.

Here's a link to a thread (is it against the rules to post links to other forums? If so I'll take it down) that explains the basic starting-up stuff you'll need pretty well. http://mstrkrft.suddenlaunch3.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&num=1198122244

A list of DAWs - http://synth.freehostia.com/daw.html

KVR audio is a good site for downloading VSTs/AUs, some are free, some are commercial, some donationware - I believe they have a pretty good userbase in the forums as well - http://www.kvraudio.com/

IDM Forums - This is the other forum I frequent. The people here know their shit, even if you don't make IDM I recommend it for figuring out what you need to learn

Also, you will want to read up on the following:

-Audio mixing - This is the main difference between a shitty track and a professional track.
-Subtractive Synthesis and synth theory
-Samplers
-Sequencers
-DSP

Good luck delving into audio production, it's one hell of a ride and a lot harder than it looks

P.S. Don't refer to stuff as techno unless it genuinely is, you get people like me all riled up It's kinda like calling a death metal band screamo.
FL Studio 9 has been bought!!
I've checked out a few tutorials and realize that this program will take me months and even years to master. Does anyone have any tips on getting started or can someone point me in the right direction?
So far I have just been familiarizing myself with the menus and so forth.
Cheers for the suggestions
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Youtube = tutorials.
I will stand by all this drinking if it helps me through these days,
It takes a long time just to get this all straight.