Poll: Which guitar should I buy?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which guitar should I buy?
Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy Custom GX
7 21%
Epiphone Slash Goldtop
7 21%
Ibanez XPT700 27 Fret
10 30%
Other
9 27%
Voters: 33.
I'm looking to buy a guitar soon and I cant decide from a few and need help. I have a B-52 AT-112, Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah, and Metal Muff with top boost disortion. I play a lot of Ozzy, Coheed, Metallica, GNR, Jason Becker, Guthrie Govan, and music like that so mainly classic rock/classic metal. I do play with a lot of cleans as well.

Here are my options

Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy Custom GX

Ibanez XPT700 27 Fret Guitar

Epiphone Slash Goldtop

You Pick (Post a Guitar)

Poll will be up soon
Have:
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy GX
Ovation Celebrity
B-52 AT-112

Want:
N/A
ok thanks
Have:
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Ovation Celebrity
B-52 AT-112

Want:
N/A
Do you want a wide neck or not as wide? Do you want a fatter profile or a thin neck? Do you have a preference for fretboard wood and number of frets? Do you want humbuckers? Single coils? Price range?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Do you want a wide neck or not as wide? Do you want a fatter profile or a thin neck? Do you have a preference for fretboard wood and number of frets? Do you want humbuckers? Single coils? Price range?

its pretty clear he has a price range if u look at the guitars heis looking at, its also pretty clear what type of pickups he wants and also wood etc
Quote by Tedis1111

its pretty clear he has a price range if u look at the guitars heis looking at, its also pretty clear what type of pickups he wants and also wood etc

It doesn't hurt to ask for more detail as you can give them a better approximation of what they want. You'd know that if you took the time to take your head out of your ass.

He just gave us examples of guitars he's looking at. Just because he has 2 Les Pauls up there doesn't mean he wouldn't consider a maple board Strat.

Sorry for trying to be helpful dude, you can take over.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
It doesn't hurt to ask for more detail as you can give them a better approximation of what they want. You'd know that if you took the time to take your head out of your ass.

He just gave us examples of guitars he's looking at. Just because he has 2 Les Pauls up there doesn't mean he wouldn't consider a maple board Strat.

Sorry for trying to be helpful dude, you can take over.

well then ask questions like, body wood? neckprofile? shape? not hums or singles
Quote by Tedis1111
well then ask questions like, body wood? neckprofile? shape? not hums or singles

I did ask that. reread my post you tool.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
^Um, you actually did.

TS, out of those I'd get the Epi LP custom, but another guitar to try out would be Washburn X-50 Pro, or the WI-66 Pro
Are you sure you want to go with a short scale like with the EPIs? Not great for bends and no whammy, but might be a little easier to reach stretches like 3h8h10.

If you want the short scale and can't afford Gibson, I'd recommend a short scale ESP LTD.

The XPT700 27 Fret is a world apart from those EPIs. I have it in 24 frets and it's a great guitar; incredible value. I don't know of any songs that need those 3 extra frets, but to each his own. It's hard to find better pups than the DiMarzio D-Activators that come stock on the XPT.

Cheers,
@ those who voted Epiphone Slash Goldtop.
He plays metal, quite heavy as well. I don't think a SB Alnico II will deliver the full range of tones he want. I Alnico IIs, and they can do metal, but he can do a lot better then that.

The GX seems ideal. Pups seem decent, and are coil tappable. And you can get a nice red flame maple top.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Sep 27, 2009,
Thanks and I really like the GX but I would consider a fender and I would like humbuckers but I would LOVE a HSH (Also would like coil-tap, maybe an OFR) Range is <$1000 could go a LITTLE over but... meh.
Have:
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Ovation Celebrity
B-52 AT-112

Want:
N/A
Quote by Akreckos
Thanks and I really like the GX but I would consider a fender and I would like humbuckers but I would LOVE a HSH (Also would like coil-tap, maybe an OFR) Range is <$1000 could go a LITTLE over but... meh.

If you want a strat body;
Here's a list of some good HSH Strats;
Ibanez s470 [or ANY S series]
Jackson SL3
Jackson DK2S
2 pups;
Fender Fat Strat
Jackson DK2M
Schecter Hellraiser

Otherwise, the GX will be fine for what you want.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Thanks I chose the GX because I wanted some dirt with a lot of sustain.
Have:
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Ovation Celebrity
B-52 AT-112

Want:
N/A
Forget Fender for metal. Not enough frets, crappy 'buckers, and it takes a lot of serious modification (high-precision routing) to put a Floyd Rose on it. They're not doing anything in HSH these days, but you could buy a pickguard and your own humbuckers to do that. You're on your own for wiring.

Did you go ahead and buy the GX already?
No I haven't
Have:
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Ovation Celebrity
B-52 AT-112

Want:
N/A