Page 4 of 7
AFAIK he has his own notation system for his lead sheets, but I don't know to what extent they use notation. His instructional books do use notation so I'd guess he knows how to read and write it even if he could sight-read a melody or something.
Allan is phenomenal. One of my favourite electric players, without any doubt whatsoever, I find him to be one of the most evocative players I've ever listened to. Tbh, I think he's untouchable when it comes to technique also. Lane and Govan might be better all-rounders, but Allan's use of touch and nuance is stunning.

I can reverse-hammer (and I do prefer the tone), but only on my JEM. My action is too high on my Strats.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by Freepower
Two items of news -

I may be seeing the great man on the 19th of April, in Zurich.

38 inch scale? Seriously? http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1899558536914863101#

Holy mother of god.

its as big as his dick....

anyway, it says on his website he stopped using them because speed metal bands started using them

also, why are you going to zurich?
anyway, it says on his website he stopped using them because speed metal bands started using them

also, why are you going to zurich?

My Dad spends a lot of time out there on business and he suggested it - awesome dad.
Having embarked upon an all-out Holdsworth-fest this week, it suddenly dawned on me (just randomly, whilst listening to Looking Glass) that his music really is cold and mechanical most of the time. For anyone used to mainly diatonic music, it's easy to understand why all those weird note choices and intervallic leaps would fry the brain and put off the listener. It even makes me go "Ouch... that was gnarly" sometimes.

Otherwise, I'm used to it. I absolutely love it. But I can fully see things from the non-fan perspective as well. It just took a while for something specific to jump out and hit me. The album Atavachron, in particular, showcases why Holdsworth's playing and tone is cold as the south pole. I'd even call it nasty... in a good way.

Btw, what do Rowanne Mark and Naomi Star look like? I've never seen a pic of them.
Last edited by DaFjory at Mar 23, 2010,

Aaaaawww yeeeeaaaaahhh...
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
My Dad texted me saying he was gonna be playing in town. Not sure how he found out...

I swear, if he comes within an hour of London, I'm there.
superman is killing himself tonight
Quote by TheBurningFish
My Dad texted me saying he was gonna be playing in town. Not sure how he found out...

When?

edit: *looks up thread to ticket* ok, thanks.

Quote by Baby Joel
I swear, if he comes within an hour of London, I'm there.

An hour? My my, that's some effort! I gotta get on a 3 hour train to Glasgow and sleep with the homeless. Well, the first part anyway.
Last edited by Beserker at Mar 28, 2010,
Yeah, but the way I figure it, is if he's coming to the UK, he'll definitely be making a stop near/in London. So I won't have to go so far.
No such luck for me, no guarantee he'll be coming to Ireland.

But what do I care? I'm seeing him in Zurich in 3 weeks.

I like the fact that everyone's Dads know more about Holdsy's tour than we do.
Quote by Beserker
When?

edit: *looks up thread to ticket* ok, thanks.

An hour? My my, that's some effort! I gotta get on a 3 hour train to Glasgow and sleep with the homeless. Well, the first part anyway.

See you there man

Quote by Freepower
No such luck for me, no guarantee he'll be coming to Ireland.

But what do I care? I'm seeing him in Zurich in 3 weeks.

I like the fact that everyone's Dads know more about Holdsy's tour than we do.

My dad doesn't even like him, but he knows I do. I'll probably go with my guitar teacher, as he'd like to do a legato run over his fretboard, if you catch my drift.

Whoever meets him first, please be sure to ask when that new album of his will be out. I'm still waiting after 3 years - and he sounded so sure that it would be out in '08.
My parents have no idea who he is. They just know him as 'That jazz-fusion guy that plays really fast'. :p
To be honest, it will be pretty awkward for me to go to one of his gigs, cause I only got into him last month, and I only have the Metal Fatigue album. Must get more!
Quote by Baby Joel
My parents have no idea who he is. T'.hey just know him as 'That jazz-fusion guy that plays really fast :p
To be honest, it will be pretty awkward for me to go to one of his gigs, cause I only got into him last month, and I only have the Metal Fatigue album. Must get more!

they must think sooo many people are allan holdsworth then
This sounds really cool -

BOZZIO / HOLDSWORTH / LEVIN / MASTELOTTO

SPONTANEOUS IMPROVISATION GROUP

This unique line-up of musicians will be performing total improvisations only. They will not be playing any composed or arranged pieces.

I don't know how my Dad'll deal with the pure improv, tbh, I'd love to hear a few familiar tunes, but it does sound great.
I dunno. Total improvisation could easily lead to complete and utter tripe.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Oh man, that sounds cool. Does anyone know if that's the lineup/theme for the Glasgow date, as Holdsworth's website only seems to go to the end of April as far as tour dates go.

I'm doubly there if Bozzio is on drums, what a player. Incidentally, what is it with Allan always using Frank Zappa's old drummers - Wackerman, Colaiuta, and now Bozzio? I guess they just both know how to pick em.
I don't know if it's really Zappa's old drummers, Allan got hold of Tony Williams and all sorts of awesome guys.

Although I'd honestly say it was probaby Zappa pushed them more.
Yeah, get hold of Believe It. Worth it for Fred alone.

Shit, I totally forgot that I'd been working on transcribing Snake Oil for quite some period of time! Probably need to start from scratch now.
Quote by Freepower
Yeah, get hold of Believe It. Worth it for Fred alone.

"46nps!!!" with 64ths, wasn't it?
DaFjory, are you still up for meeting up in London and going to Holdsy together? Me and a mate or two are probably hitting up the gig on the 4th. That suit you at all? Reply by PM plx, have to ask you some other stuff anyhoo.

ALLAN HOLDSWORTH BAND
BRITISH TOUR
feat.
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH guitar
JIMMY JOHNSON bass guitar
GARY HUSBAND drums

June 3, 2010 - Hastings, England
Venue: White Rock Theatre
http://www.whiterocktheatre.org.uk

June 4, 2010 - London, England
Venue: Ronnie Scott's
http://www.ronniescotts.co.uk

June 5, 2010 - London, England
Venue: Ronnie Scott's
http://www.ronniescotts.co.uk

June 6, 2010 - Hareford, England
Venue: The Blue Rooms
http://www.blueroomshereford.co.uk

June 7, 2010 - Cardiff, Wales
Venue: The Globe
http://www.theglobecardiff.com

June 8, 2010 - Milton Keynes, England
Venue: The Stables
http://www.stables.org

June 9, 2010 - Bilston (Wolverhampton), England
Venue: Robin 2
http://www.therobin.co.uk

June 10, 2010 - Manchester, England
Venue: Academy 3
http://www.manchesteracademy.net

June 11, 2010 - Glasgow, Scotland
Venue: The Ferry
http://www.the-ferry.co.uk
FP, thanks so much for posting those links! I'm probably going to go the 5th, and convince my parents to come (Since I can't go without an adult).

EDIT: Just bought tickets. 4 of them (Parents and my sister, who also like Holdsworth).
Premier tickets.
With dinner.
(Ronnie Scotts)

Be jealous.
Last edited by Baby Joel at Apr 22, 2010,
Am jealous currently (epic family!). Considering popping over with my Dad to make up for missing him in Zurich (was meant to see him on this Monday but the Icelandic volcano screwed me), going to meet up with some old school friends and possibly a few UGers. Say hi to me Mr.Joel.
Quote by Freepower
Maybe it sounds nailed in person, but I don't dig it through the webcam mic.

Nice legato chops though.

thanks, man I been trying to get backwards hammer superlegato for a while now, and I think I've got it pretty reasonable, but I'm still obviously nowhere NEAR holdsy.
Quote by WishfulShredder
sup guys, I think Ive NAILED allans tone in a guitar rig 4 patch; tell me what you think
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CsTylo70B0

Sounds nothing like it to me, sorry. The tone in the video (which could possibly be due to the recording) is quite harsh and I can still hear quite a lot attack.

That said, your legato is pretty solid. Don't be discouraged.

What helped me when I was working on my legato playing (which was excellent three years ago, but is less than satisfactory now) was to really try to get a handle on my pick attack. It's very possible to pick a significant proportion of the notes you play yet still have it sound smooth. If you can really blend your pick attack with your left hand hammer-on and lift-off technique, it will really help you play on the level.

I must have brought Brett Garsed up in a million threads this week, but have you looked into his playing?
Quote by Prophet of Page
Sounds nothing like it to me, sorry. The tone in the video (which could possibly be due to the recording) is quite harsh and I can still hear quite a lot attack.

That said, your legato is pretty solid. Don't be discouraged.

What helped me when I was working on my legato playing (which was excellent three years ago, but is less than satisfactory now) was to really try to get a handle on my pick attack. It's very possible to pick a significant proportion of the notes you play yet still have it sound smooth. If you can really blend your pick attack with your left hand hammer-on and lift-off technique, it will really help you play on the level.

I must have brought Brett Garsed up in a million threads this week, but have you looked into his playing?

yeah I have, I can do the hybrid picking stuff ascending, but not descending. I swear that I was playing along to the Live at Yoshi's DVD and it sounded very similar though... I guess I sortof meant the single note stuff (not that theres much of it), not the wankery.
You've got to be very careful with your perceptions if you're trying to match a guitar tone - I find I often get a tone that sits well in the mix with the original without being all that similar.
Anybody who has not done so, be sure to search Google videos for footage of Allan. There are several full concerts available to view or download, and most are very watchable.
Regarding Allan's Legato he doesn't pull off [sorry if this is redundant information] but he simply reverse hammers, look into how Marshall Harrison does it. I believe that is the correct technique Allan uses

Regardless it's still possible to mimic his playing using hammers / pull offs, hell; just matching his phrasing and speed is good enough !
Quote by Zanon
Regarding Allan's Legato he doesn't pull off [sorry if this is redundant information] but he simply reverse hammers, look into how Marshall Harrison does it. I believe that is the correct technique Allan uses

Regardless it's still possible to mimic his playing using hammers / pull offs, hell; just matching his phrasing and speed is good enough !

I have. It didn't help much.

"I'm the best. Allan Holdsworth is quite good as well. Look at this goddamn Legato. Damn, it's good. I don't pull off like that idiot guitar player John Petrucci, I'm better than him. And every other guitar player who pulls off. See, Chopin sort of started this and I basically invented it for guitar. I'm better than Chopin, too. *5 minutes of fast legato playing with no explanation*. There you go, it's easy for me, but probably not for you. Try it if you can. I don't expect you to succeed though."
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012