I'm looking at getting a Marshall valvestate combo or half stack. My friend has one, which he traded his bike for, and apparently that one sounds ok. So, what do you gutys think about the valvestate range, and are they valve or solid state?
Bad,its a hybird amp
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Well the valvestate is hybrid. That's all I could help with as I have Never tried it
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
stay away from hybird,you should either get high end SS or a ALL tube amp
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Randall XL Series V2 Ninja V2NH
Line 6 Vetta II HD
ISP Technologies Theta
Quote by angusfan16
Randall, Line 6 Vetta/Flextone, etc.
And please stop making threads, this is like the fifth thread i've seen by you, keep everything in one and stop spamming the forums with countless threads on the same thing.

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

It's not always the same thing, but yeah, I suppose I'm kind of clogging them up a bit with my crap. Ok, I'll try and keep it to the minimum then
Valvestates are alright, and hybrid =/= bad, it's rtue that the single tube in it isn't very effcetive, but the fact fact that an amp is hybrid doesn't its bad.

But yeah, the valvestates imo have decent cleans, but unless you can find one at a bargain price, I would look somewhere else
They have a couple of Valvestates at the studio i use for band practice, and they sound alright. Better than MGs and Spiders by a long way As for whether there are other's better for the price, I have no idea because I don't know how much they are.
they're essentially solid state. if it's a series I valvestate, meaning the model name is something like 8100 or 8080, those get some pretty good tones. however, the series II (most model names are something along the lines of VS100) or an AVT series, then dont do it
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
My co-guitarist in my band has a Marshall Mode 4 head and it's pretty meh IMO, especially for the full price (he got it for real cheap though). I can't imagine any valvestates being better than the Mode 4 so I would say look elsewhere. I have played a valvestate 100w combo but I wasn't experienced enough with tonal qualities then to be able to give an opinion of it now.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
I have the 8080, I can get some decent clean, bluesy or classic rock tones out of it.
Only thing I don't like is that on high-gain the sound gets too loose/fuzzy for my tastes.
But I still like to play metal with it
Ibanez RGR321EX
Marshall Valvestate 8080
^the valvestate's famous for being tight...
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
oh...well it might be that it's a really beat up one(I got it from my brother, for free), it also crackles a little.
Or I just don't have an ear for tone yet
Ibanez RGR321EX
Marshall Valvestate 8080
^well, it is possible that it's beat up, as they dont have the best reliability >_<
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Ok, well, I have a chance to get one pretty damn cheap, an 80 watt 8080 for £70, any good?
That's one of the early models which many people like a lot. Personally I'm not into it, but an 8080 in working condition for 70 quid sounds like a good deal to me. Unless you have a lot more money to spend, it's worth looking into.
I own a valvestate myself, AVT50. I'd say if you find one for cheap then get it.
I dont like the big valvestates, cuz they come with efx and stuff...
If you find an AVT50 for cheap get it, its a hell of an amp.
Quote by Junnage
GuitarUser knows what's up*

Quote by SimplyBen
I agree with GuitarUser

Quote by travs2448
digital amps are like Fapping, its good but nothings like the real thing.
TS ive had one for 15 years. its decent for beginners esp if you play 80s metal. gives a very close sound to and justice for all/slayer tones.

But there are many good alternatives for beginners now like crate v series etc.
Quote by Eurozeppelin
Ok, well, I have a chance to get one pretty damn cheap, an 80 watt 8080 for £70, any good?

sure, i've gigged with mine and i had decent tone, not to mention my volume was only on 2.5 and my other guitarist had to turn up to 4 on his 120 watt crate half stack
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
I have a valvestate 30W that Im looking to sell because between my hiwatt and laney it never gets any action anymore. When folks say its a hybrid, thats not entirely true, I say that because it doesnt actually have any valves in it like some of the Randalls that have both a transistor and valves.

Its a SS amp designed to sound like a valve amp. To be honest if you are looking at classic rock and clean, its not bad. Dont expect to get high gain unless you chuck a good pedal in front of it. Its build quality is 2nd to none, that thing has been to hell and back and its still rocking. Has never broken down and I doubt it ever will.

There are other amps that I would consider over a valvestate but they are not bad amps
Quote by Eurozeppelin

the 8080 was a good amp. for 70 bucks id go for it
Ok, the other thing I'm looking for some advice on is what settings I should put my amp on for Zeppelin/Page tone, or as close as possible. Ie (6 bass, 4 treble with drive setting on, all the other ones) Can anyone help?
thats difficult to gauge. IT depends on a lot of things. Zeppelin isnt high gain, so try the gain at around 5 or so...
I'm using a Valvestate 8100 Right Now. I think it really depends on the cabinet your using with it < to state the obvious. When I first got it, it was a downgrade significantly from the Mesa Dual Head I was using, but had to sell for some cash.
I started out using it with a 4 X 12 AVT Cabinet and it sounded flat. Just terrible. Once I came into some money I picked up a mesa roadster 212 cab. Now my Valvestate sounds great. I'd still look else where if you want real clean or real metal tones, but I can get a nice rock crunch and a hard rock sound. I play out with it and we do a mix of alternative and punk rock and it hasn't failed me yet.
Quote by guidothepimmp
I have a valvestate 30W that Im looking to sell because between my hiwatt and laney it never gets any action anymore. When folks say its a hybrid, thats not entirely true, I say that because it doesnt actually have any valves in it like some of the Randalls that have both a transistor and valves.

Its a SS amp designed to sound like a valve amp. To be honest if you are looking at classic rock and clean, its not bad. Dont expect to get high gain unless you chuck a good pedal in front of it. Its build quality is 2nd to none, that thing has been to hell and back and its still rocking. Has never broken down and I doubt it ever will.

There are other amps that I would consider over a valvestate but they are not bad amps

i've opened mine up, and there was a tube in it?

EDIT: this thread is more than a month old
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Last edited by nutinpwnsgibson at Nov 4, 2009,
Yeah, old thread is old.

Anyway, I had a VS30r... Not a bad little amp, but not really loud enough for much of anything.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I had an 8080. It sounded pretty good but I could never get into the amp because the pots were all very poor quality and caused lots of problems. The amp was older but the fact that all the pots were bad led me to think the quality was pretty poor. I could have replaced them all (tried cleaning) but decided it wasn't worth and moved on. If it works fine and the pots check out then it may be a good deal.
i had a AVT150H stack for £350 and AVT150 combo for £202 on ebay once.... used it ... sold to a friend and upgraded to a full Tube amp ... never turned back.... about a month of my friend had it .. it's fuse went, and his dad replaced the fuse with a bigger one and well the amp it totally fried now hahaha

i found with the AVT ( ive found) you could dial a good tone in it sometimes , the other times it was pure wack and not even worth turning on
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Last edited by kakos at Nov 4, 2009,
Quote by guidothepimmp

theres a 12ax7 in it
Honest to god I love mine for like white zombie and static x. I have the vs100 head though
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Don't expect amazing things from a Valvestate, I own one, and it sounds pretty meh (not bad, but not good).

I did however swap out the stock tube for a Bugera 12AX7A and it greatly improved the tone, I think I might replace the speaker soon.
No gods or kings. There is only zuul.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now police, fire, and EMS vehicle's sirens sound in tritones. Suck it Christians, your protectors are satans minions.

I have been sigged by UG's Greek, what have YOU done today?