I just picked up an AC30 yesterday and have some questions.

First, it has a normal and the top boost input. I was wondering if it was possible to use an A/B Y switcher to switch between the two inputs like you would switch between amps. If this is possible I was wondering if someone can recommend one of those pedals.

Second, I have heard a few different ways of getting the best sound out of it. Some people push their master volume really high and just use the channel volume to control the overall sound (they switch their functions essentially). But I have heard people doing the opposite and pushing their channel volume and using the master volume the way it was meant for. I was wondering which one would make the most sense.

Thanks in advance!
Both ways make sense, if you crank the master volume and the channel volumee down, you will get a cleaner sound. Doing the opposite will overdrive the last stage of the preamp giving the smooth overdrive AC30s are known for.
you should be able to do your A/B thing with no problems... just make sure you buy a switch that is truly noiseless and pop-free, or you'll have to deal with it each time you wanna switch channels in mid-song.
What if I use an overdrive pedal (and a few other ones) in front of the amp. What would be the best way to run the volume thing?
Quote by Ace5885
What if I use an overdrive pedal (and a few other ones) in front of the amp. What would be the best way to run the volume thing?

Please don't use an overdrive pedal, unless you use it just as a boost, the AC30's overdrive is just godly.
Actually it is just a boost, BB Preamp to be exact. I have not gotten a chance to really push the amp. Can it actually handle like high gain overdrive, because thats what I play. I was just wondering if it cant, if putting a TS9 in front would help
ac30 isnt really known for a hi gain sound, the most you can get out of it is a bit of crunch. And using a hi gain overdrive means you'll miss out on the amazing tone of the amp!

although, i can get good heavy tones out of my AC30 and my Keeley Blues driver, it is more of a lower gain clean amp
Ive seen plenty of people get higher gain sounds. Not like shreddy high gain. But not low crunch. A prretty "raw" sound. My favorite band uses mostly stock AC30s and RATT's to get their tone. Well they used to, now they use Line 6 M13s for everything.
Quote by Ace5885
Actually it is just a boost, BB Preamp to be exact. I have not gotten a chance to really push the amp. Can it actually handle like high gain overdrive, because thats what I play. I was just wondering if it cant, if putting a TS9 in front would help

For high gain overdrive, you have to crank the volume knob, and roll roll off the master volume, the AC30 can get quite hi-gain if you want it too, I'm not talking about moern metal high, but you can get some heavy sounds out of it, and boosting it with a boost might help too
Ill try it out tonight, I dont see why it wouldnt work. Ill also try out the A/B Y thing. I think I have an Boss Line Selector lying around somewhere