Hey everyone. Payday is coming up soon and I've decided to treat myself to a Tubescreamer, and I was just wondering what the difference is between the different models(TS9, TS808, etc). Is there a significant tone difference? Is one any better than another? If it helps I play rock and blues for the most part(Zeppelin, SRV, stuff like that).

Thank you for your time.
Brad Delp - June 12, 1951 to March 9, 2007 R.I.P
The difference between the 9 and the 808 is one resistor value.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
The difference between the 9 and the 808 is one resistor value.

Elaborate please?
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Whoops, got it wrong the first time, there's actually two resistors that are different.

You see, the circuit is exactly the same, the difference is two components in that circuit (the two resistors) are different values going from the 9 to the 808. Doesn't make a very big difference to the sound and it's extremely easy to mod a 9 to 808 specs.
So if the difference is small, what do the two resistors do?
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
I don't remember, I haven't messed around with a TS circuit in a while.
what about TS7?
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
^It's extremely close to the 808 and 9 as well. I don't remember the differences specifically, but I know it can be modded to 808 specs.
IMO the best sounding TS is the Turbo TS9 better for a wider range of things than the standard one.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

I've never used a TS, but hear claims that the Jekyll side of the J&H is a TS clone. Has anyone ever compared them and can comment? I have a J&H and the Jekyll side is not my favorite tone, but I like the Hyde a lot.
The tonelok series has cast metal housings I recall.. from what I've heard the TS7s are decent for what they are and are moddable too, I'd call it a low buck alternative to see what the Tubescreamer fuss is about.
i know nothing about the specs but i own a tube screamer turbo and it has switchable settings between the ts9, turbo, hot, and plus so you can mess around with the sounds
Gibson Les Paul Standard Double Cut
Peavey 6505+
Mesa Boogie Oversized Cab
-
Morley Little Alligator Volume
Line 6 FM 4
Line 6 DL 4
Boss DD-6
Ibanez Tube Screamer Turbo
Boss TU-2

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by Poster_Nutbag
The tonelok series has cast metal housings I recall.. from what I've heard the TS7s are decent for what they are and are moddable too, I'd call it a low buck alternative to see what the Tubescreamer fuss is about.

So basically, it's a cheapy version of the tube screamer? Does it sound radically different or crappy in some way? It's just that at under half the price of either the 808 or 9, there must be something dodgy about the ts7...
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
IMO, there's a lot of hype around the TS's.. so yes, the TS7 is a "cheapy" version, but I've heard good things about it, just can't find one in stock locally to try. I've got a full blown TS9 with all the mods, and several cheap TS clones. Does the modded TS9 sound better? Yes, but I don't know that I'd spend $180 on one, I got mine used for $100. Heck, some tone purists will drop over $500 for an original TS! It's not a huge difference if you're relatively new to them.

So I guess what I'm saying is that if you're new to Tubescreamers, the TS7 is a cheaper alternative to get close to a more expensive TS without breaking the bank. If you decide that you totally groove with them, then go get a high end TS later. And keep in mind, it's an overdrive, so it depends a lot on your amp and how well they get along together. But the TS7 should give you a good idea if Tubescreamers, in general, are for you.
The only difference between the 808 and 9 is the output buffer. It's noticeable to some and not so noticeable to others. And the TS7 is like a 9 with a few more changed circuit values. Both are fairly easy to mod to 808 specs. I'd go with a TS7 or 9. I picked up an 808 a few weeks ago and it doesn't sound much like the original I sold right before it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs