Ok, so the week just ending i had been prepping for a gig i played last night.

Through out the week most of my leads died.

So saturday morning I went to my local (or not so local seein as its a few towns over) music store. I bought a 6 metre cable which had silencer ends on, and a bunch of 7 patch cables.

When it came to the gig last night in sound check a couple of the patch cables died.
Then my newly bought silencer cable died. And then after sound check, when our slot came and i went to set up, another of my normal leads died. So I had to borrow one off another support band (who happily lent me one). Which then worked fine throughout the whole gig.

Overall the gig was a rousing success, and we happened to gather a bigger crowd than the headlining act which puzzled me.

But what I came to ask is: Why are leads so ****? Why do they always ****ing break?!?! and would a better alternative be to make my own leads?

Thanks for reading
Because you keep buying cheap leads, which are inherently ****.

Get some Cleartone, Klotz or Mogami cables and you'll be set for life.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
how much am i gonna be looking at there? and yeah you're probably right...
Don't buy crap leads and make sure you don't abuse them.

I make my own cables and have only ever had one fail once, which I easily repaired in about five minutes.

I use George L cable and switchcraft jacks. Jacks aren't super important, but good cable is. George L is pretty damn nice, I've heard good things about Canare cable as well.

Edit: Also, if the cables you bought didn't have a lifetime warranty they are absolute garbage. Even cheapo livewire cables (which are decent) have lifetime warranties.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Sep 27, 2009,
just dont do the stupid thing of spending loads on cables, the offer hardly any tonal improvement, you're only really paying for durability
^Blind test a george L to a garbage lead, you'll notice a difference.

It's also fairly cheap if you make your own. I think I payed 1.50 a foot (roughly 5 bucks a meter) for my cable.

Two 18 footers and 7 six inch patches would cost you about sixty bucks, plus the 18 jacks you'd need (about two bucks a piece) Total: 100 dollars for durable high quality cables that'll be extremely simple to repair.
the silencer lead had a 10 year warranty, i had it for 6 hours, does that warrant money back?
Quote by Kevin Saale
^Blind test a george L to a garbage lead, you'll notice a difference.

there have been many competitions with cash prizes where if you can tell the difference between a £10 cable and a £100 cable multiple times in a row you win a shed load of money, I can't remember the specific name of the competition but no one managed to guess correctly

have a look on google if you want, I think there are a few articals on there about it
Quote by BopperUK
the silencer lead had a 10 year warranty, i had it for 6 hours, does that warrant money back?

You probably won't get money back, they'll probably just replace it. I still say a ten year warranty is crap when all other decent companies offer lifetime warranties.

Cpt clark: Maybe the expensive one was crap? Compare one of my well made george L's to a bargain bin lead and there will be a difference.
Quote by Kevin Saale
I still say a ten year warranty is crap when all other decent companies offer lifetime warranties.

This guy speaks the truth me thinks.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Cpt clark: Maybe the expensive one was crap? Compare one of my well made george L's to a bargain bin lead and there will be a difference.

aye that is a fair point
Quote by BopperUK
george L's, high chance of not breaking???

I've never had the cable get damaged. I had a solder joint fail once on the jack I plug into my guitar. Repeated plugging and unplugging broke it. I resoldered it more securely and now pull the cable out by the jack and not the cord, no problems since. If I gigged I'd probably check all of my cables solder joints the day before and touch up any that are wearing.

Capt: Price never tells you the whole story.
Mogami is a good brand. I've had the same 18 footer for a year now, still running perfectly.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
just dont do the stupid thing of spending loads on cables, the offer hardly any tonal improvement, you're only really paying for durability

there is a huge difference in sound from a cheap cable to a nice cable. a bad cable will only add impedance to the signal, reducing the highs and the overall quality of the sound. a good cable will use better wires and jacks so it will have he least impedance possible.

I use Zzyzx Magnetic Cables, and they are absolutely awesome. i thought my amp needed new tubes before i got the amp. turns out the cables i was using were sucking my signal. when i used my Zzyzx, my tone was fuller, clearer and warmer.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
It's easy to fix most leads, most just come detached from the connector. Easy fix with a soldering iron. (Take of leads cover, see where it's broken, solder it back together.)
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!