Page 1 of 2
Alright first off, this is a hypothetical discussion thread, so if that bothers you just leave don't post some snide remark.

I'm bored and watching the Led Zeppelin 'Song Remains the Same' video and this question came to mind:

If you could choose between owning every single piece of gear, your idol player has ever owned (HIS gear, not the same model) or having the talent of that person, which would you take.

In the case of Robert Plant (ya ya, lulz on me) it would mean choosing between millions worth of priceless gear, not only priceless for its rarity and quality but for the simple fact that it was his, and the ability to potentially make millions with his skill.

So what would you choose?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Sep 27, 2009,
Quote by tubetime86
Alright first off, this is a hypothetical discussion thread, so if that bothers you just leave don't post some snide remark.

I'm bored and watching the Led Zeppelin 'Song Remains the Same' video and this question came to mind:

If you could choose between owning every single piece of gear, your idol player has ever owned (HIS gear, not the same model) or having the talent of that person, which would you take.

In the case of Robert Plant it would mean choosing between millions worth of priceless gear, not only priceless for its rarity and quality but for the simple fact that it was his, and the ability to potentially make millions with his skill.

Didn't you mean Jimmy Page?

oh well. I would get all the gear and then sell some and get guitar lessons
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Clearly the talent. You can't buy talent, and with talent you can get priceles gear of your own.
WTLTL 2011
definitely talent so you get get money for gear
Quote by valterra
You traded him a sword for the guitar? You do realize that a smart person would just agree to the trade, take the sword, slay you with it, keep all of the loot and call it a day, right?

....What are they teaching you kids in school these days?!
Talent, clearly...

Gear can be purchased; talent can't.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by tubetime86

In the case of Robert Plant it would mean choosing between millions worth of priceless gear, not only priceless for its rarity and quality but for the simple fact that it was his, and the ability to potentially make millions with his skill.

define talent. like i'd love to come up with solos as good as SOME of kirk hammetts but he cant play as fast as alot of other people. do you mean talent to play fast of to come up with great catchy solos
I'd take the gear and sell it off. Being a famous musician would be a pain in the ass, I'd rather just backflip motorcycles all day.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
As a musician i'd say talent, but as an evil overlord i'd say gear and therefore money and therefore death ray
He who knows all, knows nothing in the eye of a imbecile.
I would take the gear. Talent is something that can be achieved if you work hard and long enough.

However, good gear is freaking expensive and sometimes hard to find.
Quote by Mark G
Clearly the talent. You can't buy talent, and with talent you can get priceles gear of your own.

I'm not sure about that. I'm a firm believer that the 'best' guitarist in the world is an random unknown guy sitting in his basement playing right now.

so having talent doesn't actually mean you get to get big and get money.

There is so much more to getting "big" than talent it's more about looks and personality today than talent. if anyone here should know that it's the UGer's there
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Kevin Saale
I'd take the gear and sell it off. Being a famous musician would be a pain in the ass, I'd rather just backflip motorcycles all day.

+1 except the part that i do frontflip
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by Kevin Saale

Unless you're crazy egotistical or something.

Even then, though, I suspect one would get rather bored of the endless adoration and worship from hundreds of thousands/millions of people sometime.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
talent.

you can buy gear later when you become famous
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by Mark G
You can't buy talent

but you can buy a record contract and a really good engineer too make it look like you have talent.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
But talent doesn't necessarily lead to fame.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta
Unless you're crazy egotistical or something.

Even then, though, I suspect one would get rather bored of the endless adoration and worship from hundreds of thousands/millions of people sometime.

See, I wouldn't enjoy that stuff. Nor would you be guaranteed to be famous as brett said. I'd rather have the sure money and work on my talent myself.
Quote by Raijouta
But talent doesn't necessarily lead to fame.

everybody have talent but only 0.01% of them are famous
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
EDIT DUDE! three posts at 1:05!
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
gear, I dont want to cheat myself out of getting good. Id rather learn how to do something, the magically be able to do it. Plus Daddy needs a new amp.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by Bostonrocks
I'm not sure about that. I'm a firm believer that the 'best' guitarist in the world is an random unknown guy sitting in his basement playing right now.

so having talent doesn't actually mean you get to get big and get money.

There is so much more to getting "big" than talent it's more about looks and personality today than talent. if anyone here should know that it's the UGer's there

Well I already have the looks and personality

I think that if you have talent dedication and motivation you can come a long way.
WTLTL 2011
^

I don't have looks at all.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Robert Plant's gear

Robert Plant's talent?

that's a toss up

Now, if we are talking Page's gear, I'd take his gear any day. I wouldn't be able to put his talent to good use in my situation as fun as that would be.

Haha, ya I think it was Brett who said that first... Oops, long night last night, and I'm actually not a huge Zeppelin fan, though I do really like them.

I think it was i am metalhead who said that with time the talent would come. That's kind of what I was thinking. Give me 5 million worth of guitar gear and I will take 3 years off by selling the less choice items and BECOME crazy talented.

Its interesting the responses were mostly for talent, since we're on a gear page...

Anyway thanks for real responses, these threads are usually toast by now.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I think ability without work would be wasted. I'm proud of what little talent I have because I worked at it to get it.

Plus wants the point in being talented if you don't have some kickass gear?
Quote by Bostonrocks
^

I don't have looks at all.

You're too hard on yourself
WTLTL 2011
Quote by tubetime86
and the ability to potentially make millions with his skill.

Wow, that sentence says a lot...

If there where no assholed like Jay Z and Ozzy Osbourne, a lot more players could simply make a living making music. I'm talking about serious musicians, not your high school pop-punk band.

Since I don't want to sound exactly like my idols, but more so like me playing guitar, I would pick the gear. I would pick whoever has the most gear, and then sell most of it. Buy an older BMW, and throw the rest in a bank account for rent/food/emergency. Of course I would have many guitars and amps, pretty much something for every tone I could imagine, but if I hate anything more than the rock star mentality, its the gluttony that tends to come with it.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I went to Lidl the other day and bought 2lbs worth of talent. It's sell-by-date was 2010, though, so it won't last me long.

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Wow, that sentence says a lot...

If there where no assholed like Jay Z and Ozzy Osbourne, a lot more players could simply make a living making music. I'm talking about serious musicians, not your high school pop-punk band.

Since I don't want to sound exactly like my idols, but more so like me playing guitar, I would pick the gear. I would pick whoever has the most gear, and then sell most of it. Buy an older BMW, and throw the rest in a bank account for rent/food/emergency. Of course I would have many guitars and amps, pretty much something for every tone I could imagine, but if I hate anything more than the rock star mentality, its the gluttony that tends to come with it.

... how is Ozzy an asshole?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by Kevin Saale
I think ability without work would be wasted. I'm proud of what little talent I have because I worked at it to get it.

Plus wants the point in being talented if you don't have some kickass gear?

+1

I will be the first to admit that I'm not the most talented guitarist, by any means. However I've worked very hard to get where I'm at and I'm very proud of everything that I've accomplished.

Quote by Jhachey22
... how is Ozzy an asshole?

I was wondering that myself...
I'll take the gear.

I don't feel like playing life somebody else with their talent. I'll make my own talent and use their gear instead
Guitar: Ibanez RG321MH with EMG 85/60
Amp: Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo
Musical styles: Progressive rock, thrash metal, post-hardcore.
Quote by Mark G
You're too hard on yourself

Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
I would take James Hetfields gear, because I can learn on my own, and that guy has warehouses full of every piece of gear imaginable
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
I just thought of something: what if you guy's woke up tomorrow with Jimmy Page's Gear?

i could just see jimmy page back at his castle about to go rip on his LP through his Oranges. he walks into his guitar room, and a little tear starts to form, like the Naked Indian from Wayne's World.

Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Sep 27, 2009,
Quote by Jhachey22
I just thought of something: what if you guy's woke up tomorrow with Jimmy Page's Gear?

i could just see jimmy page back at his castle about to go rip on his LP through his Oranges. he walks into his guitar room, and a little tear starts to form, like the Naked Indian from Wayne's World.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pXfHLUlZf4

This would pretty much sum it up.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by Jhachey22

Quote by Jhachey22
you really have no idea how much i hate new SNL.

+1

SNL sucks now.....
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Page 1 of 2