Ok so im trying ta lern myself to sweep and i dont know what i should start with, like what song or excercise. No i dont have a teacher. Help?
'09er
Quote by aaciseric

I hate you too much to be able to answer this thread properly. You misleading swine.

Quote by HeavyReverb

you dont win. f^cking 09er

Quote by emad
Morello Wannabe
Post back and I'll temporary ban you.
i dont really speak guitar^. uhh can you put that in english, im not really intelligent in music terms i just play tabs, and i am getting introduced to sheet music. so thanks BTW ive only been playing for about a year.
'09er
Quote by aaciseric

I hate you too much to be able to answer this thread properly. You misleading swine.

Quote by HeavyReverb

Quote by emad
Morello Wannabe
i think theres a major three string shape at the end of "ember to inferno" from trivium but there are alot of good lessons on this website
Quote by Morello Wannabe
i dont really speak guitar^. uhh can you put that in english, im not really intelligent in music terms i just play tabs, and i am getting introduced to sheet music. so thanks BTW ive only been playing for about a year.

To understand sweeping i.e what you are playing, I suggest you start to "speak" guitar. An understanding of chord construction at the least will help you. This means learning at least how to construct the major scale and how to create chords from said scale. At least.

Of course you can bypass all this theory, but I don't think you'll be doing yourself any favours. There are videos about sweeping on you tube. Check there.
i "speak" a little but im not "fluent" in it
'09er
Quote by aaciseric

Quote by HeavyReverb

Quote by emad
Morello Wannabe
Dude, you've really got to slow down and learn some basic theory. I've been self teaching for a year but with 7 years of piano behind me i know the theory, and it seriously helps. Learn about scales, harmonies (mixing notes), chord construction and progressions etc. You'll never be able to improvise or write your own stuff if you're just copying other people without understanding.

But yeah, start with some easy 3 string patterns and as you get more confident, speed up SLOWLY and start adding more strings. It should take you about a year to master sweeping anyway, if not more.

Btw, wrong forum. Should have asked this in technique forum.
- - - - - - - -
When I think of the perpetual journey through life
When it always feels like autumn
The wind moves slowly to the north
And the flowers die
Rain falls in my dreams

- - - - - - - -
Quote by xKnifekillerx
really? well i dont know my theory well and i have riffs coming out of my ass. i **** good ;]]

maybe so, but theory will make those riffs even better, and can help you to turn that riff into a song.

anyways, this is the wrong forum. got to guitar techniques and check out the stickied threads.
If you don't know what an arpeggio is then you shouldn't be sweeping. Learn some theory and it will make you better. Theory comes before technique.
Quote by ronhoward
If you don't know what an arpeggio is then you shouldn't be sweeping. Learn some theory and it will make you better. Theory comes before technique.

so you expect someone to learn theory before ever learning how to fret a chord correctly without muting out strings that should ring and be able to actually hit the string they're aiming for?
Quote by The4thHorsemen
so you expect someone to learn theory before ever learning how to fret a chord correctly without muting out strings that should ring and be able to actually hit the string they're aiming for?

Anybody who is capable of typing will have somewhat dextrous hands. They should not have a problem pressing down a basic triad shape, and fingerpicking each string.

There aren't any people who can't play a triad on a guitar if they knew the theory, and wanted to play a triad on a guitar.
Luca Turilli
Rhapsody (Of Fire)

Look at these and just slow the solos down or something... Luca Turilli does quite alot of sweeping.
"Fly with me forever high
And with these wings
We'll set the world on fire
Fly with me through scorching skies
You and I - The lie of lies"

-Symphony X
Start off 'sweeping' between two strings. Taking off your finger in time to make it sound good is the hardest bit. You want to really try and make it sound as smooth as possible - like playing through a scale. Then gradually build up to 3,4,5 and finally 6 string sweeps.
Quote by The4thHorsemen

There's a big difference between fretting a chord and trying to sweep. So let me correct my earlier post. You should learn theory before you get into advanced techniques.