I want an Ibanez Xiphos, but I need Some opinions on it.
I play mostly Metal, Like Necrophagist, Death, Slayer, Dethklok, Metallica, Cannibal Corpse, Nile, Just heavy and Shred Overall. Im Not above experimenting in softer fields though, In things that Buckethead Does.

The pros of The Xiphos So far for me are:

Signature guitar of one of my Favorite Guitarists.

Wicked Shape.

Have heard good things about its Tone and how well it works for the genre.

Affordable for me, and it seems pretty good for quality/Price.

24 Frets! Or 27! Or 7 String!

Potential Con:

Ive heard Mixed things about the Pups, Like that they are Non active pickups trying to be Active, and its just really mixed, so I need some Clarity there.

Need some help picking this guitar, and I need advice on it.

Id probably Buy it from Guitarcenter.com or Musicians friend, and If Its not for me I Would send it back.

BrutalEdit: Are the Pickups good for Sweeping and Fast Alternate Picking runs? Because thats really what Im looking for.
Last edited by Life Is Brutal at Sep 27, 2009,
the pickup thing i have only herd from active fanboys, the D Activators are pretty good
personally I'd go for the 7 string if I had the cash for one
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
play one first...I'd say it's for you though...the one I played was amazing and I play metal as well.
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
These things are kinda cool looking, but they really aren't that great of a play. The pups are horrible. The tone is also just so-so, nothing worth spending the money on unless you just dig the look that much.
It's pretty wicked. The pickups work really good for metal. They were designed for that high gain active sound while still being passive and not requiring a battery. The neck pup sounds wicked for really heavy palm muting and smoother leads, the bridge pup cuts through pretty good and pinch harmonics are great with it. The clean sound is pretty decent to.
The pickups are great, not muddy whatsoever.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
I've heard the 27 fretter is slightly unbalanced. It's neck pickup is a single coil as well... which probably isn't bad, but to me, you have br00t4Lz tone in the bridge, and then light and fluffy angel tone in the neck...

If you really want a guitar with some frets, I'd say the Gary Kramer Guitars R29 Turbulence. 29 frets. There's a 7 string version with 36 frets. Very cheap, too.
I have played several of these and I like them a lot. I have just been waiting to find a used one with a fixed bridge, string thru with case for a reasonable price. As far as the pups go I thought they were great. I really think you should try and find one locally to play before you order one if you have doubts.

John
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I've heard the 27 fretter is slightly unbalanced. It's neck pickup is a single coil as well... which probably isn't bad, but to me, you have br00t4Lz tone in the bridge, and then light and fluffy angel tone in the neck...

If you really want a guitar with some frets, I'd say the Gary Kramer Guitars R29 Turbulence. 29 frets. There's a 7 string version with 36 frets. Very cheap, too.

The "single-coil" on the neck position is actually a stacked humbucker, isn't it?
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera