Is it possible/practical to utilize a theremin-like device in the headstock of one's guitar, wired to the control cavity, to alter either pickup mix levels or a tone knob based on what position you're playing in? Does anybody know if this would be a relatively complicated or simple design (not just saying "I think it would probably be too difficult," I mean real logistics..)?

I'm thinking that it would be an interesting way to keep consistent tone and change things up. For example, as you move up on the neck, it might mix in more and more of a brighter pickup to retain clarity. Of course, this would all have to be switchable, but I was just wondering for my new build if I should look into implementing a device like this.
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.
Theremin controls on a wah effect is great when built into a guitar (matt Bellamy - muse. 007 black Manson).
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x
Sounds like a cool concept. Im not sure about having it at the headstock though, i would be more inclined to have it on the neck or body so that when you get to the 12th fret and above it would sense your hand and maybe boost the output or something. Just a thought
The problem that comes to my mind first is that aside from your hand on the fret board affecting it, your proximity to other objects and people will change the parameters.

The other is that the headstock is a small place to have a not so simple thing and you'd have wires hanging around to connect it to the control plate. Or you'd have to run wires through the neck which is not so easy.
Quote by Firequacker
Is it possible/practical to utilize a theremin-like device in the headstock of one's guitar, wired to the control cavity, to alter either pickup mix levels or a tone knob based on what position you're playing in? Does anybody know if this would be a relatively complicated or simple design (not just saying "I think it would probably be too difficult," I mean real logistics..)?

it's possible but highly impractical for the obvious reason that your tone/volume will fluctuate at times when you dont want it to due to the mechanics of how theremins work.... unless you play like a statue and tell everyone you jam with to not enter your "space" so to speak.
@noisefarmer - This would be switchable, and mostly utilized during recording sessions for effect.

@inkandlead - The only components in the headstock would be a small metal antenna (protruding by less than a millimeter), with a wire running through a channel in the neck to the control cavity. The electronic components would be housed in the control cavity. OR, I could use one in the body to detect proximity of the right hand, and use that to adjust volume. That would be pretty cool..
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.
Quote by Firequacker
The only components in the headstock would be a small metal antenna (protruding by less than a millimeter), with a wire running through a channel in the neck to the control cavity.
ya got a problem here, bud.

the wire from the "antenna" in the head going to the body is going to pick up the proximity of your hand more than the antenna itself will. have you ever seen how a theremin is built? the antennas are metal plates VERY close to the circuit itself.

for this to stand the slightest chance of working, your detection circuit would have to be in the headstock. also, theremin antennas are reasonably sensitive to proximity when your hand is directly above the plane of the antenna. but if your hand is off to the side in the same plane as the antenna, it will have little effect. your antenna will need to be at a right angle to the headstock.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
ya got a problem here, bud.

the wire from the "antenna" in the head going to the body is going to pick up the proximity of your hand more than the antenna itself will.

Is it reasonably possible to exploit this to detect the location of my hand? For example, just running a circuit of wire through a thin channel in the neck, and utilizing the differences in the EM field when my hand is in different positions on the neck to control some sort of parameter? I'm unsure as to whether or it would be possible to detect position relative to the ground/power source rather than proximity. Possibly something to do with relatively weak Lorentz force..?
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.
I think it would probably be too difficult...

But seriously... I was just thinking since everyone else is saying the wire down the neck would act as the antenna to that now you have a horizontal antenna. which just makes me think that it wouldnt really work because where ever you were fretting your still only about the neck thickness away from the antenna... However im wondering if you shielded the wire and left the antenna unsheilded at the head stock that iti might work... but im not really sure.

but incase this doesnt work out. There are those people that do the LED lights that light up only when your fret that particular fret. Suppose you now use this idea but instead of a LED light just have it hooked up to some tone sort of control thang-a-ma-jaggar... just a thought if the theremin doesnt workout.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Matt bellamy's Black manson. copper plate on lower horn. it's part of a the Wah probe by Zvex.

Theremin plate in a guitar has been done.
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x
Last edited by funguy at Sep 28, 2009,