Poll: What is the most creative decade in rock history?
Poll Options
View poll results: What is the most creative decade in rock history?
1960s
145 53%
1970s
136 50%
1980s
104 38%
1990s
112 41%
2000s
109 40%
Voters: 273.
Page 1 of 2
What decade do you think was the most creative time in rock music history?

For me, I'd say the 60s and the 90s.

The 60s because that was when everyone started forming many new genres from the blues and early rock n roll, and a lot of good stuff came from the 60s, not to mention some of the most influential artists came from this era.

The 90s because this was when people just started to get really original and creative with writing music. If you listen to something like Pearl Jam or Incubus or RHCP or something it's not as easy to pick out their musical influences as if you were listening to the hair bands of the 80s.
The 90's and 60's would of been the coolest time to form a band... so much potential.
I'd tend to think prog is the most creative form of rock, so that makes it the...60's....oh, and the 70's too.....and then there's the 80's....the 90's.....and this decade that's almost over!

What do you know? Guess you made a redundant thread.

I'm aware pretty much all threads ARE.
I voted all.
I mean, creativity has always been high.
It just depends on which type of creativity you prefer, thus making your opinion bias.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I think in all honesty it's 2000-2010. A lot of nineties music was just rehashing what the last popular band or artist did (i know it's just as bad if not worse today, but bear with me here). Just because a band has a sound that you can't peg down an influence doesn't make it creative. It makes it original...not necessarily "different" or creative.

However with music in the last decade we've seen numerous new genres pop up, which does speak to creativity. We've had electro really solidify itself (and honestly to make and produce good electro it takes a fvckload of creativity), progressive rock and metal, which is imo the most creative couple of genres in history, drum n bass, and the list goes on. Newer and more innovative technology developed in the last 10 years has allowed artists in the 2000s to be more creative than ever.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Simsimius
I voted all.
I mean, creativity has always been high.
It just depends on which type of creativity you prefer, thus making your opinion bias.

Ie, what I said.
You forgot about the 50s brah

Considering it was invented then.....anyway i would probably say late 60s early 70s due to the talent and drug consumption
Quote by Ace88
I think in all honesty it's 2000-2010. A lot of nineties music was just rehashing what the last popular band or artist did (i know it's just as bad if not worse today, but bear with me here). Just because a band has a sound that you can't peg down an influence doesn't make it creative. It makes it original...not necessarily "different" or creative.

However with music in the last decade we've seen numerous new genres pop up, which does speak to creativity. We've had electro really solidify itself (and honestly to make and produce good electro it takes a fvckload of creativity), progressive rock and metal, which is imo the most creative couple of genres in history, drum n bass, and the list goes on. Newer and more innovative technology developed in the last 10 years has allowed artists in the 2000s to be more creative than ever.

I agree with this man.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
2000s

4 Fall Out Boy olol
Quote by Tango616
Watching a fat kid dance around in a white shirt....wow...Al Gore was right...the glaciers really ARE shifting.

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
It's because Fassa got banned

RIP Dime
Quote by tontentanz
Ie, what I said.

Oh yeah.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I think nowadays there a tons of undeground bands who are really pushing the boundaries, so my vote goes for the 00's
Depends.

1968-1976ish had the advent of prog rock and krautrock. And that shit was beyond creative. It was astounding.

And then around 1986-1995ish shoegaze and math rock took shape, and laid the groundwork for countless genres to come.

And right now, from 2000 forwards has been one of the greatest decades in music in the past century. The 2000s are my favorite decade by far, and was the choice that got my vote.

And, while that has some bias towards me living in it, I can say I have a pretty good grounding in a lot of the styles and sounds from the past decades, and I just much, much much prefer this decade. It's astounding.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
I chose all of them. Not just to bastardise the poll, but because evey decade has brought about innovation and new sounds, for good or for bad, it's still creativity.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
60's, 70's, 80's. And perhaps 90's. Then everything and everyone went downhill like a slide coated in butter with exotic dancers waiting at the bottom.

Mmmm.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
What decade do you think was the most creative time in rock music history?

For me, I'd say the 60s and the 90s.

The 60s because that was when everyone started forming many new genres from the blues and early rock n roll, and a lot of good stuff came from the 60s, not to mention some of the most influential artists came from this era.

The 90s because this was when people just started to get really original and creative with writing music. If you listen to something like Pearl Jam or Incubus or RHCP or something it's not as easy to pick out their musical influences as if you were listening to the hair bands of the 80s.

TS, this is as if you stole the words out of my mouth. I was going to post my reasons on why I chose what I did, but you explained everything I was going to say.
Why the hell did you make this a multiple-choice poll. You get idiots who come through and just click everything and skew your data.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

I say 70s, thats when things started to really change
"Most people are trying to simplify the world. We're definitely here to complicate it." - Dad
Quote by RocksAwakening5
I you for posting this.

<-- Pretty much sums me up

8/7/09

^ I was there
I say 70's because rock had been around, but some bands were finally doing new stuff with it. It wasn't all just white people playing blues and hendrix. You saw progressive rock, heavy metal, punk rock, and funk taking form and popping out some awesome bands of the genres.
Clicked all of them.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I say the 2000's. Don't get me wrong, I do love the alternative rock genre, but the bands that came out in the 90's was a rehash of the 70's rock music.

The 00s was the time where there was more bands out and a lot more competition due to Myspace and other sites being so easily accessible for bands to post thier music.
I'd say 60's, 80's and 90's.

60's: Psychedelic rock, prog rock and/or so...
80's and 90's: Alternative/experimental rock and/or so...

Too many innovative musicians with too much creativity.

-----------------------------------------------

Blog (mostly in spanish...)

Current favorite bands:

6. Cave In
5. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
4. Sparta
3. Biffy Clyro
2. Muse
1. Coheed and Cambria
Last edited by Antoine-Øleg at Sep 29, 2009,
Quote by thejoeman
I say the 2000's. Don't get me wrong, I do love the alternative rock genre, but the bands that came out in the 90's was a rehash of the 70's rock music.

The 00s was the time where there was more bands out and a lot more competition due to Myspace and other sites being so easily accessible for bands to post thier music.

no. just no.
2000s is the best, without a doubt...
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
Eh, prolly the '70s, what with all the progressive rock and all, but this is a really stupid question anyway...
Quote by bloodshed344
no. just no.

Actually Yes, just yes. Kurt Cobain admitted that 'Smells like Teen Spirit' was a rip-off of Boston's 'More than a Feeling'.
I'm going to have to say 60's, 70's, 90's, and the latter half of this decade.
50's that is when rock n roll was pretty much invented.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
60's because I believe that's when rock and experimental techniques really got going, and huge influence began pouring in from the Miles Davis and John Mclaughlin types in terms of musical structure and improvisation. Sure rock and roll was basically invented in the 50's, but not much in terms of progressiveness or complexity started until the 60's. There was just a sort of creative explosion that came with the 60's. That doesn't mean the other decades didn't produce equally creative or original music, but the 60's sort of started it all, IMO.
Page 1 of 2