My friend just uploaded a new video about the biggest building of graffiti in San Francisco that is going to be torn down pretty soon. This is them breaking inside and risking their lives to climb up the structures just to take pictures of all the beautiful artwork.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM5VIdZtZG8

and also a news article about the event, if you guys are interested.

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/shookdown/2009/08/secret_street_art_mecca_rankin.php
If it's like banksy or something nice I don't mind, but if it's just tags... bleh. Also I'm not that into fractals and abstract art.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I think embracing graffiti could possibly lead to its demise. It should stay underground, and we should all pretend we're disgusted by it, when it's really striking a chord with us.

EDIT: It looks like most of you guys think you understand graffiti, but you're clearly uneducated
I want to work in revelations, not just spin silly tales for money.I want to fish as deep down as possible into my own subconscious in the belief that once that far down, everyone will understand because they are the same that far down.
Last edited by tremeloud at Sep 27, 2009,
Graffiti is for immature pricks who want to express the inner sh!t that they think lives within them.
If you feel the only method of expression in your life is to spray a tag on a ****ty bus shelter then you are pretty sad.
Quote by SeanJovi
Guitar is for immature pricks who want to express the inner sh!t that they think lives within them.

Fixed
graffiti is a low-life form of art, if you are going to express yourself, why do you have to do it while vandalizing a person's property?
Quote by Kensai
If it's like banksy or something nice I don't mind, but if it's just tags... bleh. Also I'm not that into fractals and abstract art.

Agreed to tha maxxx.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
If it looks nice, I like it.
Quote by Myfirstpubes
graffiti is a low-life form of art, if you are going to express yourself, why do you have to do it while vandalizing a person's property?

Because that lets it be seen.

Po' people can't afford to maintain art galleries
Last edited by sashki at Sep 27, 2009,
Quote by pak1351
If the owner wanted artwork on the building, they'd hire someone to do it. Go paint shit on your own house

sigged

PSN: reldask
Quote by Myfirstpubes

Because where you paint a piece can be just as important as what you paint. Besides, real graffiti artists tend to avoid people's private property because thats a dick move right there.

Quote by sashki

Thats also a good point.
When I used to do it, I could barely afford to buy the spray cans. If I'd wanted to do conventional art I wouldn't have been able to because paint, paintbrushes and pads are fucking expensive.
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Last edited by IDread at Sep 27, 2009,
Quote by sashki
If it looks nice, I like it.

Because that lets it be seen.

so they are such attention *****s that they should display their art at any cost? even at the expense of others? Why dont they do it the honest, hard working way?
There is no good art around Birmingham, just stupid tags so it's an eyesoar. I wouldn't mind it if there was talented art work going on, but it just doesn't happen around here.
Quote by Myfirstpubes
so they are such attention *****s that they should display their art at any cost? even at the expense of others? Why dont they do it the honest, hard working way?

Because they're Po'
Quote by Myfirstpubes

When the world shit's on you like it has to those po' peeps, you hardly care about anyone else's property.
I want to work in revelations, not just spin silly tales for money.I want to fish as deep down as possible into my own subconscious in the belief that once that far down, everyone will understand because they are the same that far down.
Quote by aaciseric
There is no good art around Birmingham, just stupid tags so it's an eyesoar. I wouldn't mind it if there was talented art work going on, but it just doesn't happen around here.

As far as I know I still have a peice up in Handsworth that I did when I stayed with my aunt and uncle in Birmingham for a while. It was one of my best.
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
He died on my birthday. His stuff isnt too overly impressive, good work though, although for his time its brilliant.

Rip mate.

He also has the same first name as me! Different spelling though.
Last edited by Creedible at Sep 27, 2009,
Quote by Creedible
He died on my birthday. His stuff isnt too overly impressive, good work though, although for his time its brilliant.

Rip mate.

Uh, Cliff Burton thread?
Who died on your birthday?
i think alot of people in this thread dont understand the point of graffiti. its half about being a prick and painting on things that you shouldnt.

i like it for the most part. i like getting stuck at a RR crossing in my car so i can look at all the graffiti.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Quote by tremeloud
EDIT: It looks like most of you guys think you understand graffiti, but you're clearly uneducated

you have to be educated to enjoy and understand graffiti?

my jackass detector is going off right now.
I have no opinion on this matter.
This building has been closed since the 1960's and since then thousands and maybe even millions of graffiti writers from all over California has come to paint the insides of the walls. If the owner really cared about people defacing his property he would have done something about it 50 years ago. But now it has become San Francisco's graffiti mecca and it has become a big part of SF's underground graffiti culture and history.

some artwork inside:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cobrasick/3905998494/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cobrasick/3905217773/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/loupiote/207966891/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/loupiote/208517497/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellahbee/3933346454/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cobrasick/3905217069/
Quote by IDread
As far as I know I still have a peice up in Handsworth that I did when I stayed with my aunt and uncle in Birmingham for a while. It was one of my best.

Well if i'm ever in that area i'll have a look round if I can see any good pieces. There's graffiti in Birmingham left from the days of Oswald Mosley (nice bit of history just down the road from me) so i'm sure it wont have been washed off yet.
Quote by aaciseric
Well if i'm ever in that area i'll have a look round if I can see any good pieces. There's graffiti in Birmingham left from the days of Oswald Mosley (nice bit of history just down the road from me) so i'm sure it wont have been washed off yet.

Where is that? (*is not stalker, just thinks '30s graffiti sounds cool*)
Quote by michal23
Where is that? (*is not stalker, just thinks '30s graffiti sounds cool*)

I dunno where the exact area is, but according to my history teacher it's near Olton, there's a bridge there where someone sprayed about joining a fascist revolution. Though I heard this about a year ago, and my memory is kinda hazy at the moment so there's a chance i've got this wrong.
Quote by aaciseric
I dunno where the exact area is, but according to my history teacher it's near Olton, there's a bridge there where someone sprayed about joining a fascist revolution. Though I heard this about a year ago, and my memory is kinda hazy at the moment so there's a chance i've got this wrong.

I'm pretty sure most of that stuff has been cleaned off or sprayed over by grafitti artists. I heard about it while I was in Birmingham and the racist content of a lot of it pisses off a lot of people. I know there was an anti-fasist group going around spraying over it all when I was there about three years ago.
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
I've never seen any awesome graffiti around Birmingham or Dudley.

Although apparently recently, in Dudley, there was some artists who went around spraying massive tributes to Michael Jackson. I'm yet to see one though.

When I was in Budapest, there was this cool 'graffiti' (more like writing on a wall, but hey):
"We've tried every bastard government [break] Now we just govern ourselves"
Quote by IDread
I'm pretty sure most of that stuff has been cleaned off or sprayed over by grafitti artists. I heard about it while I was in Birmingham and the racist content of a lot of it pisses off a lot of people. I know there was an anti-fasist group going around spraying over it all when I was there about three years ago.

That's probably true for the most part, but I think there may be one or two bits lurking around still. I would check out the area I mentioned but it's on a busy main road so would be a bit silly to go wandering around there looking for fascist propaganda.
We have some pretty cool graffiti underneath this railroad bridge in my city, which is the kind I think is AWESOME, but we also have things like "Wizzy n shawtty waz hea '09" which is just plain annoying. As long as it has some sort of artistic value, I don't mind one bit, and I might even consider doing it, If I had the balls to.

Quote by CoreysMonster

I still like cho0onger more than the 2 of you

Quote by OneHappyCamper
joke's on you, i actually fuck my cat
Quote by aaciseric
That's probably true for the most part, but I think there may be one or two bits lurking around still. I would check out the area I mentioned but it's on a busy main road so would be a bit silly to go wandering around there looking for fascist propaganda.

Its a pretty rough area as well isn't it? But you're right, I'm sure there are still a few bits and pieces lying around.
This thread has made me want to go and see if my piece is still up in Handsworth as well...
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Quote by IDread
Its a pretty rough area as well isn't it? But you're right, I'm sure there are still a few bits and pieces lying around.
This thread has made me want to go and see if my piece is still up in Handsworth as well...

I think it is kind of a rough area, though I usually just travel straight through. And if you go you should take some pictures. Would be cool to see.
Quote by aaciseric
I think it is kind of a rough area, though I usually just travel straight through. And if you go you should take some pictures. Would be cool to see.

Next time I'm down in Brixton I might take a few pictures of my stuff that is left down there. At the time I couldn't afford a camera so I don't have any pictures.
No doubt when my girlfriend gives birth we'll have to go down to Handsworth to show the baby to my aunt and uncle so I'll check for that one then unless I get a chance to go down there sooner. I would love a picture of that one. It was the first one I did after I took up Rastafari and I put tons of effort into it.
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Quote by Alex Vik
I hate seeing buildings defaced by graffiti. It's vandalism, plain and simple.

thats kinda the point...
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
I like when it's actual art, or even an R.I.P. tag, but when it gets to the point of the ghetto **** you see on highway overpasses, then it irks me.
Current Gear:
Michael Kelly Club Custom 5 Acoustic Bass
Dean Performer Series PE-QM-TGE
Varrios Basic 5 Bass
Acoustic B450 Combo Amp
I support the 2nd Amendment. I don't support people who abuse it.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
* at TunaFish

OH DAMN YOU!!!

Quote by SteveHouse
TunaFish ==

This made me lol:
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
It's morphing time bitches.