I checked the lessons on this site and while I've grasped the basic idea of harmonizing, it doesn't help me when I try to harmonize sharps since I don't know how to figure out what the 3rd/5th interval is from say F# and other sharps.

I can only harmonize in octaves at this point. My theory knowledge is rather limited so please explain in plainest/simplest terms you can
This choice is passion, this path is tension.
do you understand scales? if you want to harmonize some note, you just go up from that note x notes in the scale, x being the #interval you want.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
do you understand scales? if you want to harmonize some note, you just go up from that note x notes in the scale, x being the #interval you want.

Guitar Pro shows me the scales

Ok, so if I'm playing in C# Minor and I play the note E, would a 3rd from that be G#? Because the notes after E is F# and then G#. And then a 5th would be B?
This choice is passion, this path is tension.
E to G# is a major 3rd, E to B is a perfect fifth. There is a column on this site called the crusade. Check out lesson number 2 (it's called intervals) and that should sort you out.

EDIT: In fact here is the link http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/general_music/the_crusade_part_2_intervals.html
Quote by Phoenix322
Guitar Pro shows me the scales

Ok, so if I'm playing in C# Minor and I play the note E, would a 3rd from that be G#? Because the notes after E is F# and then G#. And then a 5th would be B?

yea you have the idea. if you're harmonizing leads or something and you know the key, that's how it goes.

it'd be good to look over that article the other guy posted though, to understand how minor/major/perfect intervals fall into the scales.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!