Hello!

Right now there's a huge box standing in my living room. It's heavy as hell and it says 'MESA BOOGIE' on the outside. Inside is a preamp that a friend dropped off 'to have some fun with'. He is going abroad for a month and didn't feel safe having all sorts of expensive gear in his home, so long story short: I have a very expensive nice Mesa Boogie preamp, but, while I love guitars and playing them I don't know much about amps, let alone preamps. I've owned some combos, tops and cabinets over the past few years, but my main focus is on guitars. You know, you get a guitar, plug it in, fiddle with some knobs and tada music!
Since it's such a nice rich piece of gear I am looking forward to be recording some of the songs I've been wanting to record for years.

So how do I best go about my business, if at all? My normal set up:
*Line 6 pod ->
-Audio to a personal monitor with 1/4" (this is an old thing I used for my electronic drum kits whenever playing in a band, but it works fine)
-USB to PC for whenever I feel like recording (or mic'ing the monitor occasionally)

My PC is set up with a FireWire audio interface with 2 (expensive) studio monitors attached.

The questions that first popped up:
*Can I hook the preamp to the monitor that I use for the Line 6 and get, well, sound?
*Is there any risk involved hooking up the preamp to my audio interface with 1/4"?
-As I mentioned, my studio monitors are very dear. They're Dynaudio's and it took a LONG time to convince my wife to allow them into the living room. So I don't want to break them. I read online sometimes feedback from a tube amp can blow tweeters?

Any other things I need to think of? Let me clarify: I don't have a power amp and cabinet at hand. If there's nothing I can do with it - shame! It'll remain in the box.
Quote by Parad
Hello!

Right now there's a huge box standing in my living room. It's heavy as hell and it says 'MESA BOOGIE' on the outside. Inside is a preamp that a friend dropped off 'to have some fun with'. He is going abroad for a month and didn't feel safe having all sorts of expensive gear in his home, so long story short: I have a very expensive nice Mesa Boogie preamp, but, while I love guitars and playing them I don't know much about amps, let alone preamps. I've owned some combos, tops and cabinets over the past few years, but my main focus is on guitars. You know, you get a guitar, plug it in, fiddle with some knobs and tada music!
Since it's such a nice rich piece of gear I am looking forward to be recording some of the songs I've been wanting to record for years.

So how do I best go about my business, if at all? My normal set up:
*Line 6 pod ->
-Audio to a personal monitor with 1/4" (this is an old thing I used for my electronic drum kits whenever playing in a band, but it works fine)
-USB to PC for whenever I feel like recording (or mic'ing the monitor occasionally)

My PC is set up with a FireWire audio interface with 2 (expensive) studio monitors attached.

The questions that first popped up:
*Can I hook the preamp to the monitor that I use for the Line 6 and get, well, sound?
*Is there any risk involved hooking up the preamp to my audio interface with 1/4"?
-As I mentioned, my studio monitors are very dear. They're Dynaudio's and it took a LONG time to convince my wife to allow them into the living room. So I don't want to break them. I read online sometimes feedback from a tube amp can blow tweeters?

Any other things I need to think of? Let me clarify: I don't have a power amp and cabinet at hand. If there's nothing I can do with it - shame! It'll remain in the box.

I'd check up on the manual to be sure, you can probably find it on the mesa website. Some preamps can be finnicky with their outputs. Generally speaking though it should have a compensated line output or phones output you could run into your monitors.

Another thing you could do is run an output into the interface line in, and simulate the poweramp + cabinet on the computer using impulses or VST plugins.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Sep 27, 2009,
Thanks for the reply!

I will look into the plugins. Is there any risk of killing the monitors with feedback though?
Quote by Parad
Thanks for the reply!

I will look into the plugins. Is there any risk of killing the monitors with feedback though?

I highly doubt that, unless you leave it to squeel from feedback for extended periods at a high volume. The output of a preamp generally isn't that great. (I believe the engl e530 has a 1.5 watt output or something like that?)

Just make sure you use the compensated line out if you want to go directly to the monitors. Also make sure you have the volume on the preamp low when you turn it on, and turn it up as needed. Would suck if you turn it on and it happens to be on max volume blasting through your high powered speaker system.

But again, read the manual to be sure.

If you want me to send you a good program to emulate poweramp, cabinet etc. send me a pm
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Sep 28, 2009,
What pre amp is it?

is it this? :

or this? :

Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by Mark G
I highly doubt that, unless you leave it to squeel from feedback for extended periods at a high volume. The output of a preamp generally isn't that great. (I believe the engl e530 has a 1.5 watt output or something like that?)

Just make sure you use the compensated line out if you want to go directly to the monitors. Also make sure you have the volume on the preamp low when you turn it on, and turn it up as needed. Would suck if you turn it on and it happens to be on max volume blasting through your high powered speaker system.

But again, read the manual to be sure.

If you want me to send you a good program to emulate poweramp, cabinet etc. send me a pm

Just PM'ed you!

Quote by TOMMYB22
What pre amp is it?

or this? :

It's the Recto Recording Preamp .
I just PM'ed you back. Hit me up if you have any questions. You can also find my email/msn on my profile.

*edit*

I just read the manual of that thing, and it might require a load to be connected for operation. Don't turn it on without a proper load at least until certain this isn't the case.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Sep 28, 2009,