Thanks in advance for any help.

As far as an amp goes, I'm looking for something in the 500-600 USD range. Probably not something more than a 15w tube amp, it's mostly going to be used for home. It's hard to describe, but I'm looking for something that would sound like Protest the Hero/Between the Buried and Me. I'm really looking for that clean solo sound in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19UZd_DKs2Q My current guitar is an Agile AL-3100, think Les Paul if you don't know what it is. I'd be open to doing a pickup change if need be.

Also, any must have pedal suggestions?

I've just had an acoustic up until now, so I don't know too much gearwise.
[[[The Game]]]
Quote by VictorVella

This thread proves Gigatiran is awesome, and a lot more awesome than your average awesome. I bet he even owns a duster like Dennis Reynolds.
Last edited by Gigatiran at Sep 27, 2009,
anyone?
[[[The Game]]]
Quote by VictorVella

This thread proves Gigatiran is awesome, and a lot more awesome than your average awesome. I bet he even owns a duster like Dennis Reynolds.
peavey classic 30 + booster
Quote by Junnage
GuitarUser knows what's up*

Quote by SimplyBen
I agree with GuitarUser

Quote by travs2448
digital amps are like Fapping, its good but nothings like the real thing.
Quote by Gigatiran
Thanks in advance for any help.

As far as an amp goes, I'm looking for something in the 500-600 USD range. Probably not something more than a 15w tube amp, it's mostly going to be used for home. It's hard to describe, but I'm looking for something that would sound like Protest the Hero/Between the Buried and Me. I'm really looking for that clean solo sound in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19UZd_DKs2Q My current guitar is an Agile AL-3100, think Les Paul if you don't know what it is. I'd be open to doing a pickup change if need be.

Also, any must have pedal suggestions?

I've just had an acoustic up until now, so I don't know too much gearwise.

Decide on your amp before thinking of a pickup change.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Well obviously a 6505 would be nice, for one it's too expensive and the other it's too loud.

What are the Peavey Classics like? The 30w seems pretty nice and in my price range.
[[[The Game]]]
Quote by VictorVella

My Orange TT loves pedals. I've seen the TT heads for under $400 on the Seattle area Craigslist. Then you'd need a 1x12 cab. Avatar has 'em for around $200.

For pedals, you want the TT with as much clean headroom as possible. I have a 5751 in V1 on mine and that makes a big difference.

Then just go nuts with various pedals...if you build your own, you can make cool vintage pedals for $50 to $60.
"In Power Trios I Trust..."
Gibson SG Classic, Fender CP Jaguar Special HH, '65 RI Mustang
'65 Ampeg Gemini I G-12 Combo, Orange Tiny Terror
I was actually thinking about getting the Tiny Terror before, how does it fare for metal and cleaner sounds?
[[[The Game]]]
Quote by VictorVella

Quote by Gigatiran
I was actually thinking about getting the Tiny Terror before, how does it fare for metal and cleaner sounds?

You'll need an OD to get the Tiny Terror into metal territory. I found the Tiny Terror to have a fat, British sound, that is very rock-ish and has that signature "Orange" tone. On both the clean and distortion channels.

However, since Jim Root uses Orange amps... I reckon that the TT should get you a fairly good metal tone (I didn't get to OD it when I last tested it).
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
So the Tiny Terror, the Tubescreamer and possibly a delay pedal and I should get the tone. Like I said, I'm not looking for br00tal distortion, just that clean metal tone, if that makes any sense.
[[[The Game]]]
Quote by VictorVella

Quote by Gigatiran
So the Tiny Terror, the Tubescreamer and possibly a delay pedal and I should get the tone. Like I said, I'm not looking for br00tal distortion, just that clean metal tone, if that makes any sense.

As in Metallica-esque (Master-era) distortion? Where you can hear chords clearly, but there is still the metal distortion?

Tight, responsive and clarity vs chugga chugga & muddy.

See if it is possible to get a Krank Rev Jr Pro head 2nd hand... you can get that clear metal tone easily without an OD.

The Classic 30 would be good with a OD.

The TT... I still found a little too rock oriented (altho you might love the tone). The TT is worthy of consideration, but for me it's not my first choice.

for the 6505... I found them a little too dark... and it could get muddy easily.

I think you could consider the Blackstar Ht-5 as well... its a very metal amp.

For an OD... get the Fulltone OCD... and run it in 18 volts mode... it opens up any amp. On my Krank Rev Jr Pro with the OCD before the amp, the OCD made my amp sparkle and sound magical.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Sep 28, 2009,
Quote by Gigatiran
Would I be able to achieve something close to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNVozws7KRk

Yeah that's quite close to the sound I'm hearing in my head as well.

The 6505 should be able to achieve that.

The orange... I'm not TOO sure.

The Classic 30 + OD will be able to achieve that.

The Krank Rev Jr Pro will be able to achieve that without an OD.

The Krankenstein Jr will be too harsh (if it sounds like the full sized Krankenstein).
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Thanks for your help ragingkitty. I'm expecting my new guitar this friday and I've still got to do some research as far as amps go. I suppose I can check out some local guitar stores and try a few of these out.
[[[The Game]]]
Quote by VictorVella

Sure thing.

Also remember to check out the Blackstar HT-5 as well.

An alternative you can consider is also the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60... or (I like this idea) a Blackheart Little Giant and a Mesa V-Twin pedal. The only thing is that... the Little Giant is 5 watts... which means that it could get muddy quick if you really crank the volume above 5 or 6.

Depending on your needs (bedroom shredder vs gigging musician), it might be suitable, since 5 watts is loud enough to blow your balls off if you're just a bedroom shredder.

The tone you want is to push the power tubes to the point jussst before it enters power tube saturation, and then depend on your preamp to colour your tone. Therefore your preamp would have a greater impact to your tone in this case.

Remember the one golden rule of buying gear (esp amps).

Tri it.
Laik it?
Bai it.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Sep 28, 2009,
Peavey Vypyr and an MXR GT-OD. Perfect combo but you might need a tubescreamer for solos.
Don't replace pickups unless they are ****ty. you can always get a graphic eq that can help out.
metal core's are also very very nice in getting early metallica tones and clean sounding distortion.
Quote by Trivium7
Peavey Vypyr and an MXR GT-OD. Perfect combo but you might need a tubescreamer for solos.
Don't replace pickups unless they are ****ty. you can always get a graphic eq that can help out.

An external OD into any modelling amp makes it sound terrible.

Plus a tubescreamer won't do anything if the signal hits a modelling preamp. A TS is meant to push tubes.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Also remember to check out the Blackstar HT-5 as well.

An alternative you can consider is also the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60.

Remember the one golden rule of buying gear (esp amps).

Tri it.
Laik it?
Bai it.

JESUS, FINALLY! it's a pefect fit for this guy (tho, the vypyr tube is worth a shot... keep in mind it doesn't like pedals as much).
Quote by GrisKy
JESUS, FINALLY! it's a pefect fit for this guy (tho, the vypyr tube is worth a shot... keep in mind it doesn't like pedals as much).

Yeah I was posting in a few amp recommendation threads at the same time so I kinda lost track of which amps I had recommended where. When I reread the posts, I realised I had not mentioned the HT5 in this post.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Yeah I was posting in a few amp recommendation threads at the same time so I kinda lost track of which amps I had recommended where. When I reread the posts, I realised I had not mentioned the HT5 in this post.

hey, don't feel bad, atleast you got it. damn near half a dozen people dropped the ball before you mentioned it.

...and i saw your posts on those other threads and kinda figured that's what happened.

TONE TOAST
Quote by GrisKy
hey, don't feel bad, atleast you got it. damn near half a dozen people dropped the ball before you mentioned it.

...and i saw your posts on those other threads and kinda figured that's what happened.

TONE TOAST

Tone indeed haha.

Yeah there are too many similar threads going around lol.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Tone indeed haha.

Yeah there are too many similar threads going around lol.

ain't that the damn truth! seems like when it rains, it floods. one guy askes about low wattage ams and allofasudden there's 5 threads on it.

i did the same thing awhile back with these two threads both talking about classic 30's (if i remember right). for one TS, it was a great amp. for the other it was a horrible choice. I got 'em swapped around and ended up looking like an ass I'm sure.

what the **** ever. this is an online forum, so if anyone's taking away what they "learn" on here as gospel truth, as opposed to going out and trying gear on their own or doing more objective research, that's on them. we're a compass to point the right direction, not a goddamn map with a big red "X" on it.
Quote by GrisKy
so if anyone's taking away what they "learn" on here as gospel truth, as opposed to going out and trying gear on their own or doing more objective research, that's on them. we're a compass to point the right direction, not a goddamn map with a big red "X" on it.

That's the thing, everyone just wants a quick and dirty answer, at least the TS here is open to ideas.

On the other hand, a lot of the responses don't explore what the TSes are looking for either.

However, you are right in that they should take opinion on UG as a "what to check out" as compared to "what to buy".
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
As in Metallica-esque (Master-era) distortion? Where you can hear chords clearly, but there is still the metal distortion?

Tight, responsive and clarity vs chugga chugga & muddy.

See if it is possible to get a Krank Rev Jr Pro head 2nd hand... you can get that clear metal tone easily without an OD.

The Classic 30 would be good with a OD.

The TT... I still found a little too rock oriented (altho you might love the tone). The TT is worthy of consideration, but for me it's not my first choice.

for the 6505... I found them a little too dark... and it could get muddy easily.

I think you could consider the Blackstar Ht-5 as well... its a very metal amp.

For an OD... get the Fulltone OCD... and run it in 18 volts mode... it opens up any amp. On my Krank Rev Jr Pro with the OCD before the amp, the OCD made my amp sparkle and sound magical.

I disagree.

On it's own you need to crank it for enough gain and it can be a little loose. However with my modded TS-9 i can get awesome tones in Jazz/Blues and Metal since as a clean boost it really tightens it up and gives the right amount of gain neededand with the right EQ'ing gives a killer breaking-up tone that really suits some smooth jazz or blues playing.

I recommend the Krank Rev Jr. Pro, it has similar features (two channels), is suitable for bedroom levels and really would not require any other pedals for metal, it would probably be better but it wouldn't be mandatory.