Hi UG,

I saw an ad for a gibson sg and he wants only $250 for it. It's a 3 pickup model in white, and I checked the serial number on guitardaterproject.org and it's a 2003 made in Nashville. The guy said he bought it off ebay a while back for $300, which made me very skeptical, but I'm still probably going to check it out tonight.

What does EG think about this? Anything I should be checking for besides the obvious neck damage and such?

EDIT: Here's a pic
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Last edited by edbert at Sep 27, 2009,
Do you have pics? If so, post them. If not, ask for them then post them.
Creator of the Llamastack

Check the trussrod cover, looks like a 3 screw one.
Quote by ljohn
The thing is, in a band like chickenfoot, think of the JSX as a submarine and the Marshall as a plane. No matter how good the submarine is, it might be the perfect submarine, if you need a plane, a submarine ain't gonna do it for you.
It that price I would gather that the sellers really stupid or it's a fake. I believe I'll take the second option on this one.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Neck looks to long, idk much about sgs though. I had one a while back, its neck wasn't that long.
Quote by boxcarmonument
It that price I would gather that the sellers really stupid or it's a fake. I believe I'll take the second option on this one.

I thought he was really stupid until he told me he bought it off ebay for 300, then I thought it was fake until I checked the serial number. Where are the serial numbers on those, anybody know?

EDIT: Looks like they're on the back of the neck, and I don't think epiphone ever made a 3 pup SG, which rules out a neck replacement. Hmm...maybe he bought it from someone stupid and he himself is also stupid???? Long shot probably...
Quote by edbert
I thought he was really stupid until he told me he bought it off ebay for 300, then I thought it was fake until I checked the serial number. Where are the serial numbers on those, anybody know?

EDIT: Looks like they're on the back of the neck, and I don't think epiphone ever made a 3 pup SG, which rules out a neck replacement. Hmm...maybe he bought it from someone stupid and he himself is also stupid???? Long shot probably...

serial number is stamped on the back of the headstock on gibsons and printed on epiphones. epiphone do make a 3 pup sg it's called the g-400 custom which comes in an ivory colour http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=27&CollectionID=16
Ok well after much google searching it seems that signs are pointing to it being an sg custom, since it has 4 knobs and the sn means it's a Gibson not an Epi. Something still seems weird though...any other suggestions?
I say it's fake from the pic. It looks like a three screw truss rod cover tome. Just because the serial number pans out doesn't make it real the counterfeiters pretty much copy Gibsons serial numbers and get them right now. The only problem they use the same number for all the knockoffs. If that were a real Gibson it would be worth a hell of a lot more.

John
Quote by johnro6659
I say it's fake from the pic. It looks like a three screw truss rod cover tome. Just because the serial number pans out doesn't make it real the counterfeiters pretty much copy Gibsons serial numbers and get them right now. The only problem they use the same number for all the knockoffs. If that were a real Gibson it would be worth a hell of a lot more.

John

Yeah the truss rod cover does look off, plus I noticed the headstock logo looks funny, and it also doesn't look like there's a pickguard. I've been searching Google extensively and the more and more I do the more and more fake it looks.

Anyone else?

EDIT: I've decided not to make the drive since it seems like it's fake. Thanks for all your help
It doesn't look too convincing to me.

It's most likely a Chinese made copy. They use fraudulent serial numbers to pass them off as legitimate.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
The thing is go and try it and see how it feels and sounds. Some of these knockoffs are pretty decent just do not pay a high price for it. $250.00 for it is about what they cost new on the street I would say if it plays well and feels good $125.00 to $150.00 tops is what I would offer.

John
why does the headstock look like it doesn't say Gibson...?
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Just because its a faek dosen't mean its a bad guitar. Hell I'd take it for 250 even if it is fake, might be good.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life
Just because its a faek dosen't mean its a bad guitar. Hell I'd take it for 250 even if it is fake, might be good.

I don't know about the states but in Australia buying counterfeit items knowing they are fake is a criminal offence.

Best just to report it to the authorities and look around more.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.