Hey all,

Ok so here's the deal - I currently have an Ibanez RG150dx - thin strings, basic guitar.

It was a starter guitar and now that i have some skills i want to play the music i love - Kyuss.

My problem - this Ibanez has very thin strings and a tremlo which together wont hold c tuning very well, if at all.

Been looking around and over the last couple of days I have come up with the ESP LTD EC-401 as a potential next axe - See Here

Reason - emg pickups sounded nice in the store, felt good to play and i'm told it will hold 12 gauge strings well as its a 'hard tail' (? not tremlo?), and the compensated nut will help too (i think the specs aren't too bad here)

Just thought i would get opinions on this guitar and see if anyone has any other suggestions (and why)

Looking to spend up to £600

Thanks!!
grab any old crap guitar get a good pickup. String the old girl with 13-56 and you should be away! I have a QOTSA tribute band but we still play a few Kyuss numbers. Josh used to play through a bass amp to help get his sound I have a interview where he talks about this. or get a variax and program a standard c tuning into it also works a treat for me.
MARSHALL: AVT 2000, MARSHALL: JTM 200 MARSHALL MAJOR 1969, LINE 6: POD X3 LIVE, VARIAX 600, VARIAX 700, GIBSON: FIREBIRD V,FERNANDES: REVELLE DK, FERNANDES: RETRO ROCKET PRO, BOSS: RC 50 loop station
if you like the ec have a look at the viper as it will give you easier acces to higher frets, or do what josh homme does today and play hollow bodies like the epiphone dot
First off, Kyuss rule! \m/

I think Josh Homme plays a Gibson SG (I could be wrong) in C standard so maybe look into that? In fact, you can check his gear here
Gear: Lindo victory flying V, Orange 30w practice amp, Jazz iii guitar picks, mobile phone apps for tuner and metronome.
Quote by Trey Spruance
First off, Kyuss rule! \m/

I think Josh Homme plays a Gibson SG (I could be wrong) in C standard so maybe look into that? In fact, you can check his gear here

he plays an ovation from the 70's or 80's of which he has 3
Some nice suggestions guys but my budget pretty much blocks all of them.

I asked about getting my Ibanez changed to take thicker strings and I have been told by a few people that it either wont work or will sound poor

As for changing my pickups - i dont think it's worth it on such a cheap guitar (a good excuse to get a new guitar i'd say!!)
Jackson offers some decent metal guitars at affordable prices. Make sure it's a hardtail and get it set-up by someone who knows what they're doing.

I used to just buy thick strings (12's) and just do it myself - bad idea.
Gear: Lindo victory flying V, Orange 30w practice amp, Jazz iii guitar picks, mobile phone apps for tuner and metronome.
i also looked at the one you where looking at, and it looks sweet. i like the sound of the emg pickups too normally, but for kyuss sound that might be a little to sharp and edgy. you can always mess around with effects to get the sound anyways..
anyways, if you tried the Ibanez guitar and liked it you should go for it, but my recommendation still stands!
cheers
Bought it! Added some 12 gauge strings and playing it now - sounds great

Thanks guys
Eastwood GP

http://eastwoodguitars.com/

Price is $700 USD
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk