This weekend I bought my girlfriend a ring for her birthday present.
She will not rest until she's called it even, so I'm not just a scrounging git who wants a new amp..

So! For a b-day and christmas present for me, I told her about little 5 watt amps.
Since I spent 120 quid on the ring, and still need a small gift for her christmas present, she can get me a 5 watter for both presents.

I ask YOU GG&A, to suggest me any vague branded 5 watt amps I may not have found, within a say 130 pound limit.

The amps that stuck out to me, are the Harley Benton and Epiphone Valve Junior amps and the better looking option, the Blackheart Little Giant.

The second question I have is this:
I play metal, which I know these are not designed for. If I crank a 5 watter (think, the Blackheart in this situation) up to 10, and then put an overdrive infront of it (you can suggest a good OD too ), will I achieve a suffice metal tone? In otherwords, a good chug and pinch?

Thanks in advance!

PS: I realise some people may suggest the Blackstar 5 watter. But that is just too expensive. Sorry.

Oh and I'm not rich, I'm just extremely poor now
the blackheart is better suited to metal, the epiphone will play metal but you will need a good pedal in order to achieve the sound you would be looking for
Quote by britishsligean
the blackheart is better suited to metal, the epiphone will play metal but you will need a good pedal in order to achieve the sound you would be looking for

I heard the blackhearts were more for classic rockish type tones?
You could go with the valve jr and mod the **** out of it?
just give me a fender and let me rip
Well, you don't really want that cranked power amp OD for metal. I would suggest a Danelectro Cool Cat Metal II for a decent cheap distortion. It's not amazing, but I've heard much worse
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Fender Vibro Champ XD is a nice little amp. it's $200 in the US, so it should be about 125GBP.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
The little giant gets pretty loud when cranked, well over 100 dB. So make sure that your living enviroment can handle a 5 watt vacuum tube amplifier.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
you could just get a Vypyr
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
well, ive got a big 150 watt marshall valvestate, and a pod xt live for my rehearsal and 'louder' situations. really i just want some sweet tube tones and a handy little amp for small gig and practise situations... im not terribly fussed whether it handles metal like a 6505 or anything.. more whether it can actually do it and not just sound bad. I like the sounds of the little giant dimed anyways, just whether an OD would give it that little push over the edge without ruining it.

and besides, whats a better gift from a loving girlfriend than a boutique style tube amp?

Edit:
I retract that question.
And yes, I can crank an amp as loud as I want really... I have a free house most of the time, and the room I'm in kills most noise to other rooms.
Further edit:
That Fender doesn't look bad *researches*.
Last edited by Bigaxmax at Sep 27, 2009,
Quote by Jhachey22
Fender Vibro Champ XD is a nice little amp. it's $200 in the US, so it should be about 125GBP.
This is my suggestion, so +1
Laney Cub 8 or 10? Pair it up with an OD and it should be able to get thrash metal tones done.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
My Blackheart plus my Fulltone OCD easily hits classic metal sounds with the amp running at 3 watts and the volume at 4.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Marshall MG

Not even joking.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by sesstreets
Marshall MG

Not even joking.

PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
The Blackheart can get metal with a good boost/OD/Distortion in front of it.

Actually, when I attenuate down to low volumes, the tone suck evens out the tone and tightens up the low end enough to get a passable metal tone. And just to point it out, you'll probably want an attenuator. The thing gets pretty loud.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB

The new ones are pretty damn good for practice. Never thought I'd say this, but +1 to the MG . Check out the Rob Chappers demo.

Anyways, in terms of small tube amps, I've only tried the Epiphone Valve Junior, Blackheart Killer Ant, and Blackstar HT-5. Since the HT-5 is out of your price range, I'll strongly recommend the Killer Ant. Even though it's 1 watt, it's still PLENTY loud for practice. 5 watts is way more than you think. Killer Ant + Distortion Pedal = pretty good metal tone at bedroom volumes.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
I have a five watt Blackheart.

Sounds good, gets along with the Big Muff really well.

Kinda loud, though - if I crank it (even on three watt) it shakes the house.
Quote by ibz_bucket
The new ones are pretty damn good for practice. Never thought I'd say this, but +1 to the MG . Check out the Rob Chappers demo.

wow. this whole damned forum has flipped it's opinion on an overpriced, overhyped practice amp based on one sponsored video.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
The Vibro Champ is out of his range, it's about £180. TS I can't imagine any of the tube amps in your price range being particularly suited to metal, you might be better getting a pedal or something instead.
Thanks for everyones input so far.

Ive looked into the killer ant.. but it just isnt really what im after... i would like an amp which can just scrape into practise with a drummer kinda area, so the watts seem just about right. plus ill be using it through a 4x12 for good measure :P

Im going to decide against the fender regardless, i dont like the idea of a 5 watt tube amp being kinda modelled, and yeah its too much in the shops i saw.

And ive seen that vid, (the MG review) it actually sounds very very good, but i would still take an old MOSFET amp from the 80s over it anyday.. like the old lead 12's, they go for next to nothing on ebay.

Im considering getting the Harley Benton EVJ copy.. apparently its exactly the same amp with a tone knob just put in, and all EVJ mods are meant to work just the same on it... ill research further, but i think that might be a good idea.. its like 70 quid to door, so well under budget, so i can then tinker with it, change tubes and ebay for a tubescreamer or something of the likes.

Any opinions?
Last edited by Bigaxmax at Sep 28, 2009,