Oh its that time of day again

Before the thread is closed I will say whatever floats your boat, there are different ways to use both picks and fingers so they can be used for any genre.
A good bassist should be proficient with both. They both have their uses in every genre, just use your ears.
signature
Hybrid.
Quote by aldo47
(i thought hot strings would make me finger faster.)
so i tried to set my strings on fire by putting a lighter on the high e string n it cut it so wtf??!!? i passed the lighter rrly slowly by it for less then a sec n then it snapped...
Quote by Bullet-Rule
A good bassist should be proficient with both. They both have their uses in every genre, just use your ears.

This, I like being able to use both give me more room for possibilities.
The politically correct answer is "either one can be used for any genre" but the truth is different styles work better for different genres. Picking has a harder attack which most would say is good for metal, punk, hard rock, etc. and fingerstyle has a fuller tone, which some would say is better for soft rock, ska, r&b, etc. Whatever sound you like better just go with. I would suggest fingerstyle because it's easier to learn, and you don't have to worry about buying picks.

Of course there's also slap and thumb technique...
I use neither. All of my right hand attack comes from the search bar.

/shameless joke.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by obeythepenguin
Fingerstyle. I have nothing against picks; they just don't get a loud enough sound from my Olympia.

eh... how's that?

Picks are usually louder than fingers
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Quote by NakedBassist
eh... how's that?

Picks are usually louder than fingers

On guitar, not bass. On bass, picks don't get as much low end.
i say finger-style. i prefer the sound of it rather than pick playing.
i use my finger most of the time and i normally play metal/hard rock/rock/funk but i use a pick when i play punk or some metal songs that i feel it sounds better with a pick.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
Fingerstyle. You can get by with fingerstyle on a picked song, but youd never be able to fake through a fingestyle song with a pick

Plus the tone is just fuller and warmer with your fingers, and I personally just like dark warm sounds
Fingerstyle has a lower, dull sound with more sustain. Pick has a brighter attack with more treble and less sustain. You can play very fast with a pick, although you can reach similar speeds if you practice enough fingerstyle. I use a pick most of the time, but it's best to use both.
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
Last edited by cal1 at Sep 28, 2009,
I definitely prefer using my fingers, and I do maybe 70% of the time, but I do own picks and can pick on my bass at will. It just all depends on what sound you want to achieve.
Use both.
I like using picks when I'm playing punk rock, or rock really, but at school I play in the school jazz and marching band, and I only use fingers.
I'm happy I know how to do both, it will make you a better player being good at both.
i like to use a pick, but only becuase i play guitar alot more than bass and im better at using a pick than fingerstyle
Quote by WantsLesPaul
I get such a big rush from downloading torrents that I just have to cum all over my face right at that moment.