I've been trying to use wah on the lead channel of my amp to get that Metallica kind of thrash tone, but for some reason the wah just doesn't work on the channel. It works fine on clean settings but as soon as I turn on the distortion, all the wah seems to do is make a clipping kind of sound.

How can I get the sound I'm looking for? I'm using it specifically for the end of the solo in Dani California. Using a standard Dunlop Crybaby. Thanks
I hate my sig
Quote by QuantumMechanix
I've been trying to use wah on the lead channel of my amp to get that Metallica kind of thrash tone, but for some reason the wah just doesn't work on the channel. It works fine on clean settings but as soon as I turn on the distortion, all the wah seems to do is make a clipping kind of sound.

How can I get the sound I'm looking for? I'm using it specifically for the end of the solo in Dani California. Using a standard Dunlop Crybaby. Thanks

the standard crybaby is a joke, unfortunately. if you're comfortable with a soldering iron, try modding it with a Fasel inductor and a more vocal sweep (replace the resistor by the input jack with one of a higher value).

this is the site where i got all of my mod ideas, though a quick Google search will bring you lot's more info.
http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/mods/dunlop.htm#_modding_the_wah
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
So replacing or modding it would be my only options? I can't solder, so do you have any suggestions on a wah pedal that would work better for me?
I hate my sig
Quote by QuantumMechanix
So replacing or modding it would be my only options? I can't solder, so do you have any suggestions on a wah pedal that would work better for me?

the 535Q and Dimebag wahs are always popular around here. they're both very versatile. the Dimebag wah is pretty much the hot rodded/prettied up version of the 535Q, though.

if you want to go boutique, look at Fulltone and RMC wahs.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
i have the kirk hammett model and its awesome
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Ok thanks guys. Those are all pretty much more money than the standard crybaby, but if it will get me that tone, then it's worth it
I hate my sig
You could also wait for the Ibanez WH10 reissue which is set to come out in November or so.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by QuantumMechanix

no, that's absolutely rubbish. don't listen to that and don't touch your wah pedal, if you want one with a fasel, buy one with a fasel. I used to have a standard crybaby and it was friggin awesome, clean and distorted. the problem has to be something else.
Quote by trashbeast
no, that's absolutely rubbish. don't listen to that and don't touch your wah pedal, if you want one with a fasel, buy one with a fasel. I used to have a standard crybaby and it was friggin awesome, clean and distorted. the problem has to be something else.

They're really not that great.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
Quote by trashbeast

Really? Well any ideas on how to make it better? The whole wah sound almost dissappears completely when I turn on distortion
I hate my sig
Quote by trashbeast

how old was your crybaby? the silver wave logos do sound better than the new block logo wahs, but not by that much.

the standard crybabies sound bad stock. end of story. modding it is easy as hell and would take no more than maybe an hour of your time.

don't be a brand***. Every company makes a POS.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
I think mine sounds fine fo the clean channel....It just doesn't cut through any distortion. Is that a hard sound to acheive?
I hate my sig
Quote by QuantumMechanix
I think mine sounds fine fo the clean channel....It just doesn't cut through any distortion. Is that a hard sound to acheive?

like i said, you're going to have to mod it to get a good sound with distortion/on your dirty channel.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by Jhachey22
like i said, you're going to have to mod it to get a good sound with distortion/on your dirty channel.

Hmmm. I guess I'll just swap it for one of the pedals you suggested if it will really make a difference. I don't like modding my equipment
I hate my sig
Honestly, soldering is not hard at all and you should consider learning trying it out. It will open up a whole range of ideas and things to try. I would buy some old junk from a pawn shop and modding it first before you mess with something you use currently. It's really inexpensive and anything you do, for the most part, is reversible.
"Blood is thicker then stripper sweat."
-Ballsuckulus "aka Marc Justus"
Quote by charles753df
Honestly, soldering is not hard at all and you should consider learning trying it out. It will open up a whole range of ideas and things to try. I would buy some old junk from a pawn shop and modding it first before you mess with something you use currently. It's really inexpensive and anything you do, for the most part, is reversible.

Probaby not a bad idea, but for right now I'd just like to get a new pedal. Has anyone tried the Morley Power Wah?

P.s. Your avatar is awesome/annoys me
I hate my sig
lol. I am also looking to get a wah. I am running a GT-8 at the moment and I want to run away from digital for my main setup. The Satch Vox wah sounds pretty cool but expensive. But I think I will get the 535Q.
"Blood is thicker then stripper sweat."
-Ballsuckulus "aka Marc Justus"
Quote by charles753df
lol. I am also looking to get a wah. I am running a GT-8 at the moment and I want to run away from digital for my main setup. The Satch Vox wah sounds pretty cool but expensive. But I think I will get the 535Q.

that's what he used before he got his Sig.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by QuantumMechanix

Obviously he is getting no wah on distortion. Not a crappy sound.

Try fiddling with the gain? turn the gain right down so it's clean and see if it still does it
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Les Paul Copy
AX Copy
Ibanez Gio

JCM 800 4211

Vox 847
Marshall Guv'nor 2

Need more amps!