Page 1 of 2
Hey hi guys,

I'm really planning about getting a carvin custom shop guitar and I would like to know if they are as good as they seem.
I would enjoy reading some opinions from you guys and feedbacks on their custom shop guitars.
Knowing that I live in Canada (Quebec) and I can't really try'em out this is really important to me.

Thanks in advance!

TarZz
Guitars: Carvin Dc127
Amps: Peavey 6505+ head
Marshall 1960A cab
Roland cube 15
Effects:
BOSS NS-2
INHALED
Great for the price. I got my first Carvin a few weeks ago, and I can honestly say that my GAS is cured - at least until I get another Carvin :P

(My NGD post is here )

Mine plays beautifully, on the other hand, it's so resonant (especially with the koa perhaps) that it is very unforgiving of sloppy string muting. But that's on me - less drinky and more thinky.

Build quality is top notch. Some talk bad about their electronics - seem fine to me, I've got no qualms about the pickups on mine (the S22s) and if a knob goes bad later.. well that can happen to any make and is an easy fix.

I have gone through several mid range guitars ($500-$750) and am glad I finally took the plunge.

What models you looking at?
Last edited by Poster_Nutbag at Sep 27, 2009,
I've played one with a 5150 and a Blues Deluxe and I don't think it was made for metal. Great for everything else though.
ಠ_ಠ
carvin guitars are amazing. i live near one of the 3? shops in the world. ive played all the models. and every single one of them is amazing. the build is great. i have a carvin dc200 from 1984 and its still in mint condition so itll last you a long time. as long as you take care of it.
they are also extremely versatile. i play jazz,metal,classical,blues and it plays all of them great. and they are worth 4x what you pay.

and i cant really tell you much more unless you tell me the model that your looking at lol.

EDIT: also a really cool thing about most of theiry guitars are that when you strike a string you can feel the vibration through the body. its a strange thing but its pretty cool. and the sustain is forever on them too.

you cant go wrong witha carvin.period.
Classical Guitarist
Last edited by Zep_shizzle at Sep 27, 2009,
Quote by Poster_Nutbag

What models you looking at?

Well I'm looking into buying the ST300 from the custom shop.

Do they sound good for death metal and such types?
Marshall 1960A cab
Roland cube 15
Effects:
BOSS NS-2
INHALED
Ah, the ST300 - those seem to be selling really well since they re-released them.

As for the whole "good for metal thing" - hard to say.. the bridge pickup in mine it a tad hotter than some I've run into, and I've gotten some pretty good metal tones thru pedals.. and of course your amp is always going to factor into it too. Maybe get the M22SD pickup in the bridge.. I don't really do much metal so this wasn't a big factor for me. You could always call and talk to them, they guys I dealt with were pretty knowledgeable.

EDIT: Also try asking on the Carvin BBS that you can get to off the main Carvin site - not a ton of activity on that board, but some of them REALLY know Carvins.
Last edited by Poster_Nutbag at Sep 27, 2009,
Quote by Zep_shizzle

EDIT: also a really cool thing about most of their guitars are that when you strike a string you can feel the vibration through the body. its a strange thing but its pretty cool. and the sustain is forever on them too.

I'll second that - on occasion I thought my phone was vibrating in my pocket :P
Quote by Poster_Nutbag
Ah, the ST300 - those seem to be selling really well since they re-released them.

As for the whole "good for metal thing" - hard to say.. the bridge pickup in mine it a tad hotter than some I've run into, and I've gotten some pretty good metal tones thru pedals.. and of course your amp is always going to factor into it too. Maybe get the M22SD pickup in the bridge.. I don't really do much metal so this wasn't a big factor for me. You could always call and talk to them, they guys I dealt with were pretty knowledgeable.

EDIT: Also try asking on the Carvin BBS that you can get to off the main Carvin site - not a ton of activity on that board, but some of them REALLY know Carvins.

Thanks a lot man!
The more I'm looking at it the more I want one.
I'll check this out.

Marshall 1960A cab
Roland cube 15
Effects:
BOSS NS-2
INHALED
Quote by MeLodicDethMTL
Theres a Calvin Customshop lying around in this second hand shop... which I do not wanna go in ever again...

What happened XD ?
Marshall 1960A cab
Roland cube 15
Effects:
BOSS NS-2
INHALED
I might get a Carvin for my next one. Maybe a CT6? I think it's called. I have nowhere to try one, though.

Do they have a thing on their site where you can design your guitar and see what it would look like?
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Last edited by DimebagLivesOn at Sep 27, 2009,
Carvin guitars are amazing. I have a DC127 now and my next guitar will be a CS4. The DC127 handles the kind of music I play - 80's rock and shred mostly - very well, although I did change the pups to Dimarzios. I've had no problems at all with it, and it's a good enough guitar that I'd have no problems ordering a bunch more.

One thing - If you get one, get the stainless frets. Very, very worth it.
Quote by DimebagLivesOn
I might get a Carvin for my next one. Maybe a CT6? I think it's called. I have nowhere to try one, though.

Do they have a thing on their site where you can design your guitar and see what it would look like?

No, but you can try looking for one like it on www.carvinmuseum.com or ask around on the Carvin forum.
Last edited by stratman7 at Sep 27, 2009,
Quote by MeLodicDethMTL
Please don't ask... The owner is literally drunk the whole time and... nvm

hahaha XD
Marshall 1960A cab
Roland cube 15
Effects:
BOSS NS-2
INHALED
The stripes just don't do it for me ^
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
For the money nothing really can touch Carvin. As far as build quality they're great. I recommend swapping out the pickups but they're decent stock.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
For the money nothing really can touch Carvin. As far as build quality they're great. I recommend swapping out the pickups but they're decent stock.

okay thanks
Marshall 1960A cab
Roland cube 15
Effects:
BOSS NS-2
INHALED
They're awesome. I got the standard pickup C22s in mine The bridge is a hot pickup it makes my clean channel go overdrive pretty easily, though it seems to be voiced more for classic hard rock then metal. Maybe if it was a mahogany body it would suit it better. But it's the best guitar I've played, and I'm comparing it to Jackson SL1 and ESP Horizon.
Carvin´s are nice. I like their necks more than any other I´ve played.
Carvin's are amazing.
The quality of my Bolt-T is great, and the price was immense too, strat made in the US with great parts, comes out about £100-£200 (based off the MIA strat prices of the time, about '07, now I think it's not far off £300) cheaper than the Fender equivalent.

I'm from the UK too so don't be too worried you can't try them out, I couldn't, was still very chuffed with the quality!
I have a Carvin Bolt that I bought used for 300$ in the US and it outplays every Fender I have ever touched.

For any of those that may assail that statement mind you it is very different from most Fenders. Ebony fingerboards, flatter radius, larger frets, thinner neck... it´s more modern feeling but with that classic sound.
thanks a lot guys it really helps me out!
I read a bit on their pickups and the M22SD on the bridge seems to most metal I can get from them. I think I'll go with a DC127 though

TarZz
Marshall 1960A cab
Roland cube 15
Effects:
BOSS NS-2
INHALED
Quote by Vlasco
I have a Carvin Bolt that I bought used for 300$ in the US and it outplays every Fender I have ever touched.

For any of those that may assail that statement mind you it is very different from most Fenders. Ebony fingerboards, flatter radius, larger frets, thinner neck... it´s more modern feeling but with that classic sound.

You don't necessarily need to buy the bolt kit or a premade bolt though. To have one with all Fender specs would still be around $700. Buy a new complete pickguard for $280 and you have an MIA killer for less than $1,000 new and it will be in the color/wood/electronics selection of your choice.

If I had the money I would definitely only own Carvins. They have a model comparable to just about any basic design out there (solid body/set neck, single cut set neck, bolt neck 24, 22, and 21 frets...etc....

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
As far as I can see Carvins seem to be greatly appreciated
Noew I can't wait to order mine XD
Marshall 1960A cab
Roland cube 15
Effects:
BOSS NS-2
INHALED
Quote by MESAexplorer
You don't necessarily need to buy the bolt kit or a premade bolt though. To have one with all Fender specs would still be around $700. Buy a new complete pickguard for $280 and you have an MIA killer for less than $1,000 new and it will be in the color/wood/electronics selection of your choice.

If I had the money I would definitely only own Carvins. They have a model comparable to just about any basic design out there (solid body/set neck, single cut set neck, bolt neck 24, 22, and 21 frets...etc....

One thing I wish Carvin would do. Actually there's a couple - a bolt neck 24 fret with good access (think Ibanez AANJ), and a carved top 24 fret. I want a bolt neck 24 fretter as it's one thing I don't have, but I haven't found anything I've bonded with. The carved top 24 would make me forget about PRS altogether. I bet Carvin introduces at least one of these in the next couple years.
Quote by TarZz
thanks a lot guys it really helps me out!
I read a bit on their pickups and the M22SD on the bridge seems to most metal I can get from them. I think I'll go with a DC127 though

TarZz

Good choice, though I'm a bit biased as mines a 127 too - the upper fret access is outstanding.
Quote by MESAexplorer

Yeah, mine even had replaced electronics and a Dimarzio SD in the bridge. Carvins really open up tonally when one replaces the pots.
Quote by Poster_Nutbag
Good choice, though I'm a bit biased as mines a 127 too - the upper fret access is outstanding.

Haha! I Believe you
Marshall 1960A cab
Roland cube 15
Effects:
BOSS NS-2
INHALED
My friend's Tele-shaped HH Carvin is absolutely fantastic. Some of the wiring went bad after a while, but that's such an easy fix it's not even a problem. It plays and sounds brilliant. If it's the norm for a Carvin, then you're making a good decision.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
Well I must say that after reading all your posts I feel really convinced about getting one :P

I'll order one as soon as I got the rest of the money I need

TarZz
Marshall 1960A cab
Roland cube 15
Effects:
BOSS NS-2
INHALED
I'm planning on getting a Carvin DC727 for my first 7 string. soooo nice, best deal around to get exactly what you want imo. Maple Neck + Mahogany Body = teh s3x

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Personally I'd go for an Agile, as I've heard theyre godly to play.

But Carvins are VERY nice.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

*please be a troll*

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
I don't own a Carvin, but know several people who do.

They are all extremely happy with their Carvin purchases. Near as I can tell, the instruments (and amps) are virtually flawless.

At some point, I may just join the Carvin Owner's club...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by valennic

I already considered Agiles but Carvin is now on top of my GAS list.
Marshall 1960A cab
Roland cube 15
Effects:
BOSS NS-2
INHALED
Threadstarter, I just want to let you know that our rigs are VERY similar.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by valennic

Don't get me wrong, I believe agile is a good company but to compare them to Carvin is a little farfetched. It's the difference between settling for a guitar that has a few noticeable flaws to a near perfect guitar. The woods carvin uses is a little better as well. Of course there is no rating for specific chunks of wood but the maple tops on Agiles are 3A and Carvins are 4A as a rough estimate for the rest of the guitar... I would guarantee Carvin to throw out more less than perfect wood than say Agile and really most other companies out there.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Don't get me wrong, I believe agile is a good company but to compare them to Carvin is a little farfetched. It's the difference between settling for a guitar that has a few noticeable flaws to a near perfect guitar. The woods carvin uses is a little better as well. Of course there is no rating for specific chunks of wood but the maple tops on Agiles are 3A and Carvins are 4A as a rough estimate for the rest of the guitar... I would guarantee Carvin to throw out more less than perfect wood than say Agile and really most other companies out there.

This my friend is a real good argument. I must admit that as I could see Agiles are made with less quality wood than Carvins.
I would really consider them for a future 8 string though. Their models look freakin' awesome and are morer than affordable. Being in a band that plays with 6 strings I don't want to be the one getting on stage with this superb 8 or 7 string but not even usin' those extra strings.

I was wondering though, what can Carvin's neck be compared to?

TarZz
Marshall 1960A cab
Roland cube 15
Effects:
BOSS NS-2
INHALED
Page 1 of 2