Page 1 of 2

The Ampeg-VH140c.
Considered one of the best solidstates ever made.

Its a stereo 140 watt head or 70 watts mono, has 2 channels, reverb and chorus. Tons of ins and outs on the back.

And its probably one of the most coveted deathmetal amps around.

Many deathmetal bands use this head as their primary amplifier, even though its not a tube, Dying Fetus, Suffocation, Gorguts, Hell, and many other deathmetal bands have used this head, or are using it.

There is also a combo version of the amp.

The amps are getting more and more hard to find, so if you see one get one, and you could probably sell it for quite a bit more than you paid for.

Check out

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Ampeg/VH140C+Head/10/1

If you want to read some reviews on it.

I got mine a few weeks ago, lived up to everything it was made out to be, if you want t3h br00t41z, get this amp.

If you want to post your EQs, Go ahead.

I have my distortion set as follows, the highs at 8, mids 3, lows 7 and the gain at 5. Perfect High gain that is tight, crunchy and very articulate.

This thing is LOUD, and built like a tank.

I seriously think I could throw mine out a window and it would still work just as good.
Its huge, and heavy.

The 150c is a slightly newer version of the amp, its 150 watts instead of 140, they are VERY hard to find and you probably wont find one anywhere .

Prices

These amps are surprisingly quite cheap, I got mine for $300.

VH-140c Head - $200-500

VH-140c Combo - $200-350 (usually)

VH-150c - $200-500

Ask any questions here, or you can just discuss.
Last edited by GuitaristTrue at Sep 27, 2009,
what up with all the vrc and crap speaker in the background?
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Did Ampeg ever make any other guitar heads. Cause my guitar center has something like that but it's for sale at $750.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by O.O Meow O.O
what up with all the vrc and crap speaker in the background?

Haha no idea, thats just the best picture of one i could find

Quote by kylendm
Did Ampeg ever make any other guitar heads. Cause my guitar center has something like that but it's for sale at $750.

They did make other ones aswell, even though they're less known. Ampeg quit making guitar heads in the 90s if im not mistaken.

But I havnt heard much, so if you wanted to test it out it would be cool if you could post the results on here
I can not find this anywhere and I want it so bad, Does any one know if there is any in that atlanta area?
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
ARE YOU MOCKING ME!!
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
ARE YOU MOCKING ME!!

Wat

Quote by Winman9999
I can not find this anywhere and I want it so bad, Does any one know if there is any in that atlanta area?

Check out

www.craiglook.com

Its a search engine for craigslist pretty much, it saved me lots of time when i bought mine.

You could probably do a cross-border deal via paypal.
If you're looking for one try calling up some pawn shops in St. Louis. There seems to be a disproportionate amount of Ampegs in the area due to many being built here. I've seen them quite cheap in pawn shops.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
If you're looking for one try calling up some pawn shops in St. Louis. There seems to be a disproportionate amount of Ampegs in the area due to many being built here. I've seen them quite cheap in pawn shops.

can you buy me one!
feel free to add me
I guess so, what's your price limit?
$200 is my price

can you get me one?
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by Kevin Saale
I guess so, what's your price limit?

i have $300 right now BUT i dont know if my parents wants me to buy another amp...... *Sigh*
feel free to add me
No way, you gotta figure shipping which won't be cheap since these suckers are heavy, especially the combos. The combo might be a 100 bucks or more to ship depending on the distance.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
i have $300 right now BUT i dont know if my parents wants me to buy another amp...... *Sigh*

I know your feeling

they just like
Quote by angusfan16
Quote by Kevin Saale
No way, you gotta figure shipping which won't be cheap since these suckers are heavy, especially the combos. The combo might be a 100 bucks or more to ship depending on the distance.

i might come up with 400 by the end of the year
feel free to add me
^That might be enough, lemme see what I can find. Gotta check on shipping prices as well.
Quote by Kevin Saale
^That might be enough, lemme see what I can find. Gotta check on shipping prices as well.

thanks kev!

but im not 100% sure if my parents wont let me buy it
feel free to add me
^I'll look either way, I still need to test one of these suckers myself anyways. Where do you live so I can get a good guess on postage?
Quote by Kevin Saale
^I'll look either way, I still need to test one of these suckers myself anyways. Where do you live so I can get a good guess on postage?

New york.
feel free to add me
Quote by Kevin Saale

combo would probably be about 60 due to the heaviness of it.

My head was 40$ (including packing materials) shipped from Pittsburgh to Kansas City.

So shipping is definitely reasonable on the heads.
The ampeg head from guitar center is called an Ampeg VL-100 2ch. It's for $750. I didn't get to use it but it looks quality. I have pictures on my phone. I will upload them when i get home.

I may go to guitar center again today since i need one more 5 pin midi cable. I may just play it. Would you guys recommend brining your own guitar and playing an amp or using one that is already there?
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Last edited by kylendm at Sep 29, 2009,
^THat is a sweet amp. although i believe they had reliability issues with the backlight connector melting and shutting down the whole amp. you might want to have a tech look at it and see if that connector has been replaced yet.
Weren't there some clones of this amp made by Crate?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
I relatively recently acquired myself an Ampeg VH-140c Head and and Ampeg V4x12 (I think it's the matching cab)

It's so awesome sounding!!!!!! My buddy told me that he found one at this local music store by where we live and told me to seriously look into it. He would want it but he already has a Peavey Ultra 120 Head ( which is also wicked awesome) so he told me that if I wanted it he'd let me get it. Boy am I glad he found it!!!

The distortion on in is really thick and awesome. This damn thing kicks out so much bass it's ridiculous!!! I have an MXR 6 band and I don't need to use it to get a great tone which is very comforting.

The cleans on it are also wonderful. They are very full sounding and not tinny or anything. With some amps usually they either do distortion well or clean well and this beast does both.

I <3 it.
(Gear in profile)

Yes I do like metal, no I'm not a close minded idiot.
Here's some pictures of that amp I was talking about.

and

Sorry they are a little blurry.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by kylendm
Here's some pictures of that amp I was talking about.

and

Sorry they are a little blurry.

that is a pretty hot amp right there :0.

I heard that they're good (but no idea what they're good FOR).

BUT I heard something about reliability issues as well some other time.
Whats up Guys heres my Ampeg VH-140c

Quote by wolvenrick
I think black doom death metal is just plain stupid. go flame on me but i can't hear nothing but shit on those songs with everything in drop A or below. also it could've been without lyrics as you'd never hear them anyway.
This amp shares the same design with a crate shockwave amp.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by GuitaristTrue
:0!

That looks like its in perfect condition. It mustve been well taken care of.

It's got the new logo, so it isn't ancient by any means.

I think the Crate GX are the Ampeg-ish ones? I played a Shockwave and didn't think it sounded anything like my SS-140C. On the other hand, my guitarist friend has two GX, and they really nail that olde skule tone.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
It's got the new logo, so it isn't ancient by any means.

I think the Crate GX are the Ampeg-ish ones? I played a Shockwave and didn't think it sounded anything like my SS-140C. On the other hand, my guitarist friend has two GX, and they really nail that olde skule tone.

Well even with the new logo, its still atleast 18+ years old.

They stopped making them sometime in the 90s.

Im pretty sure both are considered to be similar to the 140c.

Ive heard more of the shockwave being like the ampeg though, I havnt played a shockwave ever though D:.

Also, chrisg7 is your cab any good? I need to buy a cab for my head :0.
Last edited by GuitaristTrue at Sep 30, 2009,
Quote by GuitaristTrue
Im pretty sure both are considered to be similar to the 140c.

Ive heard more of the shockwave being like the ampeg though, I havnt played a shockwave ever though D:.

Also, is your cab any good? I need to buy a cab for my head :0.

Its a combo!!!
Hey guys, I recently found an ampeg R412 guitar cabinet on for cheap, and was just wondering if anyone knows what speakers come with them? I couldn't really find any info online, so any help is appreciated!
Thanks.
Gear
Ibanez JS1200
Agile 3000M w/ Emg 81/85
Takamine FP450SMC-SB
Peavey JSX w/ Saxon 2x12 (Eminence Governor's)
Line 6 M13
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by DTay47
Hey guys, I recently found an ampeg R412 guitar cabinet on for cheap, and was just wondering if anyone knows what speakers come with them? I couldn't really find any info online, so any help is appreciated!
Thanks.

I have no idea what speakers come with them but ive heard that the Ampeg guitar cabs arent all that good.
Quote by DTay47
Thanks.
My SS combo has Ampeg Custom Design by SLM Electronics. I would imagine that their cabinets from the same time period (late 80s, early 90s) would come with them as well. Not bad, they seem to take the natural mid hump of these amps fairly well.

I would like to try replacing them with Celestion G12K100 sometime, just to check out different speakers, and pair that with a closed back 2x12 with Eminance Guvnor. Hopefully it will be sweet. First though, is finding a freaking job in this economy.

heres mine, w/ shizz cell cameraedit: for some reason, it looks like it is missing a silver thing but its not
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Holy-Diver

heres mine, w/ shizz cell cameraedit: for some reason, it looks like it is missing a silver thing but its not

:0 you have the old school one (or maybe its the newschool one).

I just know I dont see many of those, is it the SS or the VH-150 possibly?
Page 1 of 2