Project #1 - The Octopus

Right here we go,

I'm going to be using the Jackson Rhoads style guitar.

As its my first build, I'm going to play it safe, and buy a kit online, and modify it a bit myself.

Heres the kit anyway, its cheap, so I won't be too upset if I make a balls out of it.

http://www.themusicking.co.uk/x-build-your-own-electric-guitar-kit-jackson-style

COLOUR :

Now, that only comes in natural, so this is where I step in to add my own touch.

I'm thinking a dark red, maybe something like the "Dakota Red" you can find at :
http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/lacquer.html

To use this, do I need to have one of them things that can spray out the liquid paint evenly? I haven't got one, if so.

I've always loved dark red as a colour, it appeals to me.

I was then thinking of adding some form of silver sparkle to the paint. No idea how that might be done, anybody able to help?

HARDWARE

I was thinking of sticking with the good old silver, and maybe purchasing some bigger tone and volume knobs. I like big.

As for the headstock, it isn't yet modeled, its just a plain old block of wood, so I want a new one.

I think being the guitar it is, it deserves an extravagant headstock.

Now, this might sound like a crazy question, but I'm wondering, could I just saw it off, and glue a new one on? It'll probably effect the nut, but I was going to saw a little bit further up, and cut the exact same length off the new headstock.

ELECTRONICS
As for things like wiring, and electronics, they might be a bit of a problem. What should I expect to have to do, that might require some sort of power tools? Because, simply put, being sixteen, I don't have them.

I'm very patient, and I could work at this for months on end, and I know I wouldn't get frustrated or bored with it, so if some of these power tools are needed just for speed, they're not neccesary. I'd rather have my blood, sweat and guts put into the guitar to be honest.

Obviously when I finish, I'm going to bring it over to a guitar dealer to have him give it a setup, and then when he asks how its so bad, I'm going to tell him I made it myself, and hopefully he'll give me something free out of respect.

If anybody has any suggestions, I would really love to hear them.

Thanks.
Last edited by McCarthySFC at Sep 27, 2009,
you can't just saw it off and glue one on.
the tension of teh strings will most likely break the glue.
and it will look waaaaay too dumb.
Speak the truth and speak 'ever
Cost it what it will
For he who hide the wrong he did
Did the wrong thing still
The headstock is big and bulky like that so you can cut it the shape you want. You can't just saw it off and replace it. And purchasing a kit isn't really "building a guitar". Your just assembling one. A very cheap quality one at that. I say save your money and either buy the parts from a company like Warmoth, or really BUILD your own.
why dont you just reshape it with a bandsaw/ jigsaw?
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Because, simply enough, I don't have one. How long you reckon it could take to file it into the shape I want?
Quote by Matt420740
The headstock is big and bulky like that so you can cut it the shape you want. You can't just saw it off and replace it. And purchasing a kit isn't really "building a guitar". Your just assembling one. A very cheap quality one at that. I say save your money and either buy the parts from a company like Warmoth, or really BUILD your own.

I totally understand where you're coming from. As for playing the guitar, I don't intend to use it as my main guitar. I just want to look at it, and say, I assembled that guitar.
shouldnt take long, as long as you have patience
you should trace whatever shape you want onto it first, then file it down.
Speak the truth and speak 'ever
Cost it what it will
For he who hide the wrong he did
Did the wrong thing still
Quote by McCarthySFC
Because, simply enough, I don't have one. How long you reckon it could take to file it into the shape I want?

You don't HAVE to have a jigsaw to do it. If your careful a hacksaw would do, and some sanding to clean it up. Here's a Rhodes style guitar I built -
The main thing I have the problem with would be the building the body. I've seen video's online, and I totally understand how building the neck is done, but for the body, it would be impossible, considering all I have would be hand tools.
I might buy a new bridge and pickups for this guitar, and put them straight on.

I would do wiring and that, if I understood it a bit more.