Poll: Are Keyboardists cool to have?...
Poll Options
View poll results: Are Keyboardists cool to have?...
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!
68 64%
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
6 6%
MAYBE!!!!!!!!!
33 31%
Voters: 107.
I recently got into an argument with my rythm guitarist, b/c he doesnt want a keyboardist. First off we are aiming for hard rock/ symphonic metal and we kind of want that Lacuna Coil/Nightwish/Evanesence appeal so a male and female singer 2-3 guitars and obviously bass and drums-(we dont have drums either) I just want to know if its a good idea or not...
A bagpipe could be a good idea if the musician behind the instrument know his thing

So yeah
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
Are they cool? no
Do you need one for the kind of music you just described? yes
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
inb4 jordan rudess.

but seriously. jordan rudess.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
When having sex i realise my penis is of small nature.

Quote by Demon Wolf
I got a similar thing from playing too much Pokemon.

Magikarpal tunnel.
You're damn skippy they're cool.

Even just having a basic 100 dollar keyboard in your band is a great addition, but when you have a proper keyboardist with a proper synthesizer, a Hammond piano/organ, and a MIDI controllable keyboard can make your band gain so much more ambiance in your sound.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

depends on what kind of band it is...in your case yeah it would probably work. i would sure as hell like to find a keboardist....and a drummer lol
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Fender MIM HSS Strat
Whammy
Crybaby
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Proco Rat
EHX Big Muff USA
EHX Deluxe Electric Mistress
EHX Small Clone
EHX Pulsar Tremolo
Boss RE 20 Space Echo
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Fender Frontman 65R
if the keyboardist is good, yes.

if they're not good or just sorta good, well it would get old fast. maybe have one be a part time kinda member? so you only have it on a few songs that REALLY need it???
Get a keyboardist who can also play guitar, that way he can play whatever the song needs.
If you're looking at doing something symphonic, YES
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
If you're looking at doing something symphonic, YES

Or if it's just one guitarist, bassist, drummer, singer.

Soloing is a bitch when you lose your chordal structure.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Kick out your guitarist because he is retarded. Seriously. Why the **** you even come on here and ask this question is beyond stupid. You want to play SYMPHONIC music, yet you don't want the one instrument that actually allows you to bridge the gap into that genre. Unless you find some full time real orchestral members, you're not going to work out. Even then, no synths won't work in that style of music.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
It depends on the music you play. Sometimes keyboards are good, sometimes not. It all depends.
Personally keyboards tend to ruin most music for me, hence my extreme dislike for the majority of most 80's rock..

Some songs it really adds to, but majority of the time, it just sounds.. out of place.
For example, I like dream theater, but I honestly, hate the keyboard in it.. it sounds terrible to me.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Quote by floppypick
Personally keyboards tend to ruin most music for me, hence my extreme dislike for the majority of most 80's rock..

Some songs it really adds to, but majority of the time, it just sounds.. out of place.
For example, I like dream theater, but I honestly, hate the keyboard in it.. it sounds terrible to me.

Hm, I like the keyboardist in Dream Theater. It adds a little more variety to their music, and he's actually pretty good. If you have a keyboardist, but he sucks, or isn't good, it's pointless. But if you can get a talented keyboardist in your band, then it's a win, and if your rhythm guitarist still doesn't agree, kick him out.
Quote by metaldud536
Of course. Do you have any idea the amount of sounds a keyboard (with the right modeling software) alone can produce?

This.

But if you can, it would probably better to have the vocalist do the keys instead of bringing a whole other person into the band. A lot less trouble that way.

If you're doing Jordan Rudess technical kinda playing instead of just chordy atmospheric stuff, then you might have to bring another person in.
Last edited by Dregen at Sep 27, 2009,
Seriously? 3 guitars? AND bass/seperate singers/ drums/ AND keyboardist?

KISS: Keep It Simple, Stupid.
Rolling it back, keeping it simple.

Are YOU from Curtin University?
If so, CLICK HERE!
I didn't read the thread, just the title and poll title and I'm going to post my response before reading anything, although probably what I am going to say has already been said.

If it adds to the sound you're going for, do it, if it has little to no effect, or if it makes the sound worse, i.e. having an inaquedate keyboardist, don't do it. IMO if all the keyboardist is going to be doing is playing the backing synth for the chords, don't do it. The more active the keyboardist, the better.
Quote by floppypick

When in moderation synths are fine. 99% of the time though organs and piano are kick ass.
If you can pull it off to make it fit with the other instruments, it can be pretty badass.
Quote by NGD1313
Well I don't know about solos but how about that Smoke on the Water riff. It's like...impossible.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

I'm Jake. I'm a musician, philosopher, and exhibitionist.