So after reading the other theremin thread started today, I did a little research on the subject. Turns out that it's relatively simple to make a theremin-like device that uses photo transistors instead of antennas. This inspired me to try my hand at making one. This seems to be the most referenced page on the topic:

http://www.oldtemecula.com/theremin/rs-opticaltheremin/rs-opticaltheremin.htm

One problem though: I'm near retarted when it comes to schematics and soldering. The most complicated project I've built was a killswitch pedal and I nearly killed myself trying to figure it out. I am learning, however, and I've gotten better with using a breadboard and reading breadboard layouts.

Could someone with a better knowledge of electronics than I please make a breadboard layout of this schematic?

Thanks
lol***.

seriously wouldnt this be a better topic for a computer forum?
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
Quote by GODhimself37
lol***.

It's a musical instrument, so no. TS, I'll probably make a layout for you tonight or tomorrow.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by GODhimself37
lol***.

Even though the theremin sounds a bit like a computer, it is a musical instrument. So I thought I'd ask on a musical gear building forum...
Quote by asfastasdark
It's a musical instrument, so no. TS, I'll probably make a layout for you tonight or tomorrow.

I'll seriously have cyber with you if you do (if you're into that). That's how badly I want a theremin.

Just kidding but it would be very much appreciated. Thanks for your help.
i know there is kits online, and im sure you could mod them to work with guitar amps...

if thats what your asking.

but yeah, just look for theramin kits, some can be expensive, though.
edit, if you find a good AND cheap one, tell me
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Quote by metal-matt
i know there is kits online, and im sure you could mod them to work with guitar amps...

if thats what your asking.

but yeah, just look for theramin kits, some can be expensive, though.
edit, if you find a good AND cheap one, tell me

I considered just buying a kit, but most of them cost way too much for me. So I decided that I'd rather have a cheap one made from radioshack parts rather than an expensive one that would be too nice of an instrument for a complete n00b like myself.
It would be cool if you could find a way to put your guitar through it and use the photo transistors to manipulate the sound. I don't know if that's been done before or not, but it'd be interesting.
i'm at work atm, so I cant help you with a layout just yet..

but I'm pretty sure (almost positive) I've got all those parts lying around, anyway.. so I'll probably breadboard it tonight, and post a layout if asfastasdark doesn't get one up faster

shouldn't be too hard at all =]
Thanks asfastasdark and james4 for offering your help. Looking forward to see what you can come up with!
green = cap
brown = resistor
blue = photo transistor (i guess)
black thing is the IC
red and dark red are wires
the top bus is the positive voltage and the bottom one is ground

let me know if that doesnt make sense to you.
Quote by jof1029
green = cap
brown = resistor
blue = photo transistor (i guess)
black thing is the IC
red and dark red are wires
the top bus is the positive voltage and the bottom one is ground

let me know if that doesnt make sense to you.

Makes a whole lotta sense thanks. Two questions though. Where exactly do you have the line out labled to and where does the power come from?
well the line out is just going to go to a jack i guess, tip would be the hot place. then the sleeve of the jack goes to ground. the power would come from where ever you have power. i have a breadboard with a built in power supply, so i could go from there. you could use a 9V battery and use a voltage divider to get 6V or you could use something like 4 AA batteries.
Ah, sorry, I kinda forgot about this thread... but anyway, looks like you've got a layout now .
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by james4
in that diagram, pin 6 should have a jumper wire to pin 2, shouldn't it?

looks like you are right. guess i shouldnt make diagrams while cooking
I am curious to as to where people are hooking up external audio sources. The website says you can hook a speaker up directly to line out, so does the TLC555 chip produce the square wave? I'd imagine so, considering it is a timing circuit and would have a pulse wave output, but I'm not sure how people are hooking up alternate audio sources.

Edit: I looked into the Sixth Voice schematic, and it seems they have an input now, but I don't see the line out? In the video he is using the GBA as the input, but the processed audio isn't coming from the GBA as well, is it?
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Last edited by lespaulrocks39 at Sep 30, 2009,