Ok, Where to start. I've been playing guitar for around a year and a half now. I'm not great, and I'm not bad. Recently, me and some friends started a metal band, and it's coming along nicely. But, I tought my self guitar using tabs, and by ear. Just recently, my church has asked me to play on the worship team. my problem is, I never learned chords, excluding basic chords (Em, C, G, Fm, D, Dm, etc.). What is the best way you recommend for me to learn chords? I know most people learn them first, but the genre I played did not require them. Any help, websites, books you recommend? Any help would be great, thanks!
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/index.php?ch=G&mm=7&get=Get
this is what I use, I love it. you can type in what chord you want under "guitar chords" or if you go to "chord name" you click the notes on fretboard and it tells you the chord. Its got scales and stuff too. good luck!
GUITARS
Burswood Acoustic
Squier Affinity Strat
Fender Tele Deluxe
BASS
Ibanez Jetking bass
AMPS
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey max 158 bass amp
Fender Bassman 250
1979 Carvin of some sort
And some pedals
look up lessons for chord construction
also chord finder is helpful
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Learn to construct them yourself, and memorise commonly used 'shapes', like A and E shaped barres.

Its a lot easier to learn to construct chords yourself, than to try and learn dozens and dozens of different chords, and if you can construct them then you won't have a problem when you come up against something you haven't seen before, because you'll be able to work it out for yourself

And imo the easiest way to learn to construct chords is to learn the major scale, and then learn how to harmonise it by stacking 3rds. Then learn how to alter and extend those chords.
I agree with everything zhilla said. Then make up a lot of different voicings, closed voicings with few notes and big open voicings.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
along the lines of zhilla's post, learn your basic barre shapes and how to alter them for different kinds of chords, for example you basic Am shape barre chord

Cm

x

can be turned into Cm7 like this

Quote by TheFireWithinPA
Ok, Where to start. I've been playing guitar for around a year and a half now. I'm not great, and I'm not bad. Recently, me and some friends started a metal band, and it's coming along nicely. But, I tought my self guitar using tabs, and by ear. Just recently, my church has asked me to play on the worship team. my problem is, I never learned chords, excluding basic chords (Em, C, G, Fm, D, Dm, etc.). What is the best way you recommend for me to learn chords? I know most people learn them first, but the genre I played did not require them. Any help, websites, books you recommend? Any help would be great, thanks!

I also started lately to learn chords because I don't like those four chord songs. But later when I met with other guitarists, my face recently burned when I nedded to play a simple folk song. Then I learned the basics and the theory of building chords. That's very fun and more original, than the good ol' C-Am-F-G scheme.

An original Cm chord:

X
X