So yesterday I played through headphones. I realized that headphones ( good quality $100+) can really bring out your mistakes, and that they're good to use when you practice to make sure you're being the cleanest you can get.

This got me wondering, is there any other equipment that can make you a better player other than a metronome / headphones?
a good quality guitar (something like squier on a budget, not firstact or that crap) can really make you enjoy it more ive found.
GUITARS
Burswood Acoustic
Squier Affinity Strat
Fender Tele Deluxe
BASS
Ibanez Jetking bass
AMPS
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey max 158 bass amp
Fender Bassman 250
1979 Carvin of some sort
And some pedals
if your looking at improving your technique turn the gain down on your amp or play completley clean and see how accurate you really are.
this is great for people who play with huge amounts of distortion to sit back and realise that the sounds they are making aren't entirely them.
Dont buy a spider II-III or what ever number they are on now.

And a half decent guitar, like heylo said if your on a budget a squire should be good. Playing on bad guitars can really make you feel cruddy about your playing when you still are learning.
GEAR

Guitars
Danelectro Double Cutaway 1959 reissue, Jay Turser Vintage Series Strat

Pedals
Danelectro Reel Echo, Crybaby Wah, Boss DS-1

Amplifiers
Orange Crush 30w
Fender Pro Junior
Honestly, it may sound tedious, but if you have some way of recording yourself do it when you practice. Just record your practice session and listen to it afterwards, you'll learn much.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
Dont get to caught up in gear you'll lose yourself in all the amps and pedals and whatknot.Its really almost all in the heart but some of it does lay in the gear.

With that out of the way here are some suggestions
A washburn wi14
Corts
Epiphones
Jackson and Esp the Ltds.
As fo a amp try looking around for a Peavey Rage 158.Its a trans Tube whice mean its a Solid state amp but the trans tube makes it sound like a tube amp when pushed.I loved mine but I had to sell it.
Or you could go with a Epiphone valve jr.
My gear
Schecter 7 string hellraiser
1984 Charvel (model unknown)
Mesa boogie Dual Recto Solo head
and some pedels!

UG's HateCrew Member
A metronome

Guitar pro or tux guitar

Being able to play on time is alot harder then most people think.
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Quote by ibz120
This got me wondering, is there any other equipment that can make you a better player other than a metronome / headphones?

Headphones are a bit of a double-edged sword. Yes, they're fantastic for picking up certain types of unwanted sounds, but they also increase the masking effect that high gain has on fret buzz as you simply cannot hear the guitar at all.

A metronome or some other timekeeping device is, in my opinion, the really important bit. As others have said, there's a world of difference between "I can play X" and "I can play X in perfect time".

The only things I'd add on to that list (well, they help me) are...

Record stuff, even if the recording setup is dire. It's a lot easier to spot mistakes after the fact than when you're playing. Something that you might think sounded great at the time might actually sound really poor when listened to afterwards, because at the point when you played it your brain's going (for example) "Woot! I nailed those bends perfectly this time!" simply because you did a better job than you did last time you played it, whereas the end result, when viewed without that momentary morale boost, might not be quite as spangly.

Along the same lines as the metronome, I find a drum machine really helps me. There are certain things I have real trouble playing without something a bit more musical behind me, as I can't really "feel it" with just a metronome going. Okay, so that's morea deficiency in me than anything else, but I definately get closer to the result I want quicker when using a drum machine than I do a metronome for certain parts.
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.
Here's probably the best thing I've ever seen in 4 years working at a guitar shop that'll definitely help your playing along...I'm gonna let this video do the talking, but we had a Roland day at my store this past weekend, and they brought in some of their new stuff that won't be shipping until November, and this unit called the eband is one of the most genius things ever to come along. I pre-ordered one, we did 4 pre-orders for customers on it as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpvZwxbZUuc
Gear:
- Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
- B.C. Rich Platinum Beast
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
- Schecter 35th anniversary C-1
- Schecter RAF spitfire solo 6
start recording your playing, when you play it back that`s when you really hear "how good/bad" you are....you might think you`re the greatest player ever until you listen to yourself you won`t know....basically your only as good as the listener says you are.

listen to what you`ve played with 3rd pary objectivity and identify your weak areas
a metronome definitely helps tighten your chops. Also there is an interesting gadget by tascam that slows songs down without messing with the pitch which is cool to learn solos and fast riffing
Quote by Demon_dave
Here's probably the best thing I've ever seen in 4 years working at a guitar shop that'll definitely help your playing along...I'm gonna let this video do the talking, but we had a Roland day at my store this past weekend, and they brought in some of their new stuff that won't be shipping until November, and this unit called the eband is one of the most genius things ever to come along. I pre-ordered one, we did 4 pre-orders for customers on it as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpvZwxbZUuc

That was pretty rad. How much does it cost? Too much I'm assuming. I have to go with everyone else here and say that recording your playing and hearing it played back can really give you a perspective on how well you're doing.