You want to achieve a dark mellow sound?

I was reading into it and it seems half-rounds is the way to go but the'yre a bit expensive so i just thought it check first.
for what acoustic or electric
Gear
2009 Schecter Solo 6 DSG limited 1 of 50 in the USA
Ovation Celebrity
TC Electronic: Polytune
Digitech RP355 Multieffects Pedal
Quote by HeyItsChenny
thank you very much, Seaweed
Roll back your tone knobs. Seriously, it gets the trick done.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
Quote by LaGrange
Roll back your tone knobs. Seriously, it gets the trick done.

It sure does, especially when you're playing an acoustic.

If you want dark sound, look at heavier strings and pluck closer to the fretboard.
Quote by GC Shred Off
If you want dark sound, look at heavier strings and pluck closer to the fretboard.

This.

Try picking directly over the soundhole.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Yeah its an acoustic im talking about. i shoulda mentioned that at the start sorry.

I'll stick a heavier gauge on and pick nearer the fretboard.

Thanks for your help.
check out Ernie Ball Earthwood strings they start out bright then go really dark and cool sounding and they come in heavy gauges. its what i use and i like them.they don't disappoint..plus the packaging smells like maple syrup
Gear
2009 Schecter Solo 6 DSG limited 1 of 50 in the USA
Ovation Celebrity
TC Electronic: Polytune
Digitech RP355 Multieffects Pedal
Quote by HeyItsChenny
thank you very much, Seaweed
be careful about using strings too heavy for your guitar - never go over the manufacturer's recommendation or you can damage your axe.
I like the classic mellow jazz sound you get from flatwound strings played without a pick. Wes Montgomery.
Quote by seaweed2626
for what acoustic or electric

he did post in the accoustic forum.....
Quote by patticake
phospher bronze.

Not always. DR Sunbeams sound pretty bright.

You said you wanted a dark, mellow sound. Most of the recommendations so far cover the "dark" aspect, not so much the mellow. You could try Martin Silk & Steel Folk strings to get the mellow bit, and just let them wear in for a darker sound. And play closer to the fretboard.
Quote by i_don't_know
Most of the recommendations so far cover the "dark" aspect, not so much the mellow.

I abide to the philosophy that "mellow" sound comes from the player, not the strings.
Quote by GC Shred Off
I abide to the philosophy that "mellow" sound comes from the player, not the strings.

I believe that's true when speaking about emphasis/dynamics/etc., but the way I think of mellow sound is something like classical as opposed to steel string, etc.
Quote by i_don't_know
I believe that's true when speaking about emphasis/dynamics/etc., but the way I think of mellow sound is something like classical as opposed to steel string, etc.

Ahh, I was thinking mellow in terms of round versus sharp sounding.

Like ooooo versus aaaaa (with a "short" A sound like in cat)...

Man, describing sound in words is hard.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Sep 28, 2009,