Okay, i just bought myself a new schecter hellraiser c-1. i have a randall 40 watt SS amp atm which is definitely good, but i feel i need a tube amp to get the most out of the EMGs.

Ive never had a tube amp before so i dont know how many watts im gonna need or what features really. It'll be a while before i buy it so i dont have a budget, i just want to know what im aiming to buy and how much ill need. but as cheap as possible and still with quality is good.

I plan on using this amp for a long time and want to use this amp for band practice, home use and when i start gigging, gigs. because i want to use it for all these things which require a different volume level, i figure it might need one of those watt selector switches. im not really sure about that one, but i want to be able to crank it past 4 or so in all situations is what im saying.

I play heavy metal and love the tones of bands like trivium, all that remains (especially overcome), unearth, parkway drive and other heavy bands like these. i also want to have the tightest sound possible.

so basically this is what i want in the amp

- able to be used for home use
- able to band prac
- High gain
- Metal tones like all that remains, parkway drive and trivium
- sounding as tight as possible
- preferably as cheap as possible but still with quality
- to last me a while

the able to gig thing isnt important at all really because im only 15, it would just be a plus is all. but i do want to be able to crank the tubes in a home situation and a band prac situation.

i think that's all the info you need

EDIT: I live in australia. so everything is a lot more here
EDIT2: i would really really prefer it to have at least 2 channels
EDIT3: if it makes a difference to anything, i have the EHX metal muff w/ top boosty=
Last edited by wildozer at Sep 28, 2009,
^how much is you budget?
can you go used?
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
ill go used if the deal is definitely worth it

im not really sure on a budget because i have never bought a tube amp and i dont know what prices are like. the cheaper the better for me really. because i haven't got the money yet, i was hoping you guys could tell me what amp i should get, then i know how much money i need and i can work towards that money goal.

so yeah, cheaper = better and faster to get for me. also, at least 2 channels thanks
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
we wanna know your budget, but a used Mesa Boogie Stiletto combo would be pretty awesome for you

He's in Australia, it's gonna be like 5k there. TS, I can't make any recommendations because I don't know prices in Australia. But I can say that 15 is not too young to gig. I played way more gigs when I was 15 than I did this last year.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
^how much is you budget?
can you go used?

+1

Some that pop to mind are:

Peavey Classic 30
Blackstar HT-5
Krank Rev Jr Pro

However, I get that feeling any of those might blow your budget.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by mmolteratx
He's in Australia, it's gonna be like 5k there. TS, I can't make any recommendations because I don't know prices in Australia. But I can say that 15 is not too young to gig. I played way more gigs when I was 15 than I did this last year.

sweet thanks for the input. in that case, how many watts would you say i would want to have for a gig like that then? 15? 30? 50?
Quote by wildozer
sweet thanks for the input. in that case, how many watts would you say i would want to have for a gig like that then? 15? 30? 50?

30 sounds pretty good if you haven't got access to a real good PA system. ideally, you'd want 15 watts mic'd and played through a PA system, because that way you can crank the amp without killing the sound guy. 50 is way too much. so depending on your situation, 15-30 would be great.

this is pretty much for tube amps only though. with a solid state or modelling amp you could easily go out and grab a 100 watter and be able to play it in some pretty small venues
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Sep 28, 2009,
I gig with my amp at 10 watts and it's fine, but depending, you'll want 20-50 watts.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
okay thanks. so i guess i really only need about 15 watts really...

so then, what 15 what amp do i get is the question? i also want to be able to crank it in a home situation, so if i could somehow do that, it would be fantastic. how would i do that btw? does the amp need to have a watt selector switch? or is there another way to crank an amp without it being too loud?
Quote by wildozer
okay thanks. so i guess i really only need about 15 watts really...

so then, what 15 what amp do i get is the question? i also want to be able to crank it in a home situation, so if i could somehow do that, it would be fantastic. how would i do that btw? does the amp need to have a watt selector switch? or is there another way to crank an amp without it being too loud?

lowering down master volume
Quote by Junnage
GuitarUser knows what's up*

Quote by SimplyBen
I agree with GuitarUser

Quote by travs2448
digital amps are like Fapping, its good but nothings like the real thing.
Wattage impacts your headroom more than your volume.

Dropping your wattage by half is like dropping the master volume by a notch.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
ohk i see. so who can recommend me some sweet as amps for heavy metal that are 15-30 or so watts?? thanks to everyone so far as well
Peavey Classic 30 (30 watts)
Blackstar HT-5 (5 watts)
Krank Rev Jr Pro (20 watts... they also have a 50 watt version too)
Krank Krankenstein Jr (20 watts)
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
you live in melb and can get a loan of the rents theres a ht5 with 2 212 cabs on ebay goin for 700 or 900 (cant remember which)

i jsut checked its brand new 700 and in point cook werever that is
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
Last edited by Dan shreds at Sep 28, 2009,
Quote by ragingkitty
Peavey Classic 30 (30 watts)
Blackstar HT-5 (5 watts)
Krank Rev Jr Pro (20 watts... they also have a 50 watt version too)
Krank Krankenstein Jr (20 watts)

Nice list. I'll throw my chips in on the ht5 and 'stein jr.
that 5w is gonna surprise you, but if you're gigging a big enough venue it'll need to be mic'd, which is a better way to go about things anyhow.
Quote by GrisKy
that 5w is gonna surprise you, but if you're gigging a big enough venue it'll need to be mic'd, which is a better way to go about things anyhow.

5 watts cranked will blow your balls off!

At the same reference level (e.g. 9 o'clock), a 20 watt tube amp will maybe sound slightly more than a notch louder than a 5 watt.

Remember, wattage is a better indicator of headroom than volume.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
5150 1x12 or a bugera.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
okay then. so the blackstar ht5 can do metal as well?

oh and btw, i forgot to mention i have a metal muff if it means anything. but i still want a 2 channel amp.
Quote by wildozer
okay then. so the blackstar ht5 can do metal as well?

oh and btw, i forgot to mention i have a metal muff if it means anything. but i still want a 2 channel amp.

Yes the HT-5 can do metal easily. Its a metal voiced amp, plus with its ISF sweep knob, supposedly you can get a Brit or American voicing to the amp.

I don't think its a greatest low wattage amp around, but it gets lots of positive reviews from reliable peps around UG. Plus at 5 watts, that's more power than any bedroom shredder will ever need.

If you start gigging, you can always mic the amp, beats lifting a 25KG head and another 30KG worth of cabs.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
so the 5 watts will be able to play over a loud drummer as well?

i dont want to have to buy a new amp for ages after i get this one. would it easily be able to play over drums? because i wanna use the amp for gigs as well when i eventually start to get them.

but the blackstar does look very nice. im just not sure if it will have the volume to play bedroom, over drums at band prac and at gigs. but most gig places have a PA anyway dont they?
Quote by wildozer
so the 5 watts will be able to play over a loud drummer as well?

i dont want to have to buy a new amp for ages after i get this one. would it easily be able to play over drums? because i wanna use the amp for gigs as well when i eventually start to get them.

but the blackstar does look very nice. im just not sure if it will have the volume to play bedroom, over drums at band prac and at gigs. but most gig places have a PA anyway dont they?

No, the HT-5 will not necessarily reach the volume that you want.....

I am also going to suggest a 6505+ 1x12...due to be released next month (October)
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
false.

an ht5 will easily be as loud as a loud but unmic'd drummer. it'll do for most small venues and your bedroom, although you won't neccissarily get to crank it in your bedroom the same way you would at rehersals or gigs. larger venues, it'll need to be mic'd (and ofcourse at that point it won't matter how looud your drummer is mic'd or unmic'd, you'll both be balanced in the mix).

still your best option, whereas the 6505+, even as a 1x12, will crush your nuts in a bedroom setting (or you'll barely be able to open it up, if at all).

Metal Muff is fine if you want to keep it around to give you yet another texture at your feet... more or less as a third channel.
Quote by GrisKy
false.

an ht5 will easily be as loud as a loud but unmic'd drummer. it'll do for most small venues and your bedroom, although you won't neccissarily get to crank it in your bedroom the same way you would at rehersals or gigs. larger venues, it'll need to be mic'd (and ofcourse at that point it won't matter how looud your drummer is mic'd or unmic'd, you'll both be balanced in the mix).

still your best option, whereas the 6505+, even as a 1x12, will crush your nuts in a bedroom setting (or you'll barely be able to open it up, if at all).

Metal Muff is fine if you want to keep it around to give you yet another texture at your feet... more or less as a third channel.

You realize the music he listed right?? You also realize that he wants tightness?

Who cares if it will crush his nuts in a bedroom...the 6505 doesnt sound best on 7/10....more like 4 or 5...and dont tell me it just gets better...because it only gets fizzier
wait, a tight amp will bring out my mistakes right? i want my playing have as little sloppiness as possible so i figure if i can get an amp which brings out my mistakes and is tight then i can learn to play tighter as well.

is tight playing what i think it is? or am i just completely off track.
Quote by wildozer
wait, a tight amp will bring out my mistakes right? i want my playing have as little sloppiness as possible so i figure if i can get an amp which brings out my mistakes and is tight then i can learn to play tighter as well.

is tight playing what i think it is? or am i just completely off track.

Tight and loose refer to the low end response. I can't really describe it. IMO, it's something you should experience yourself. Articulation is what brings out sloppiness. Personally, what I would look for in an amp is a good dynamic response, headroom, articulation, harmonic contenet and a usable EQ. A really tight low end is only really necessary with a lot of gain. And that can be fixed with a simple EQ pedal or cab change.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
Tight and loose refer to the low end response. I can't really describe it. IMO, it's something you should experience yourself. Articulation is what brings out sloppiness. Personally, what I would look for in an amp is a good dynamic response, headroom, articulation, harmonic contenet and a usable EQ. A really tight low end is only really necessary with a lot of gain. And that can be fixed with a simple EQ pedal or cab change.

Ok... think of amps like the bum of a handsome hunk/hot chick.

A tight amp has a tight low end response (tight bass).

A loose amp has a loose low end response (loose bass).

If you play on a tight amp, its like slapping the bum of said dream person with a tight ass, there is no flub.

If you play on a loose amp, its like slapping the bum of a person with 120 pounds of lard and fat on their bum, it will flub, flop and go all over.

Did that illustrate the idea? Or will somone say I'm thinking too much of tight asses haha.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Ragingkitty....you make loose low end response sound like a bad thing in your analogy...unfortunately....that is not true....

If it weren't for loose low end...bands like KoRn and other nu-metal bands would not exist.....
Quote by Brendan.Clace
You realize the music he listed right?? You also realize that he wants tightness?

Who cares if it will crush his nuts in a bedroom...the 6505 doesnt sound best on 7/10....more like 4 or 5...and dont tell me it just gets better...because it only gets fizzier

hmm, he did say he wants tightness...

but I think you're underestimating the ht5, and after reading TS's last post, I'm not entirely sure what he wants, though I can verify that you can dig a trivium/all that remains kinda' tone out of an ht5.

and I'm not really comfortable recommending an amp that hasn't been released yet, such as the 6505+ 1x12.

I'm assuming you either were referring to the 2x12 or head version of the 6505+ when you mentioned the above settings. I'll add that there are several factors to consider that you conveniently forgot to mention. First off, "7/10... 4 or 5..." what dial are we talking about here? pre gain? then I'd have to agree, but you cannot deny that the best of the 6505+ comes from pushing the power amp. increase your presence to maintain clarity along with a slight mid boost and bass roll off... perfect.

...also way more power than you'll EVER need for bedroom practice. to tame it for that scenario, you really have to castrate it. it'll sound, comparatively, much like a fat man farting.

but of course, none of us have played the new 1x12 model have we? so, I suppose time will tell.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Ragingkitty....you make loose low end response sound like a bad thing in your analogy...unfortunately....that is not true....

If it weren't for loose low end...bands like KoRn and other nu-metal bands would not exist.....

No offence intended, but if someone were a chubby chaser, well... he might like the latter option. I personally like my girls to be slender, slim, under 120 pounds (in total).

Altho if you step back, my illustration basically showed what it meant to have loose bottom end. I merely exaggerated the illustration so that the TS can sorta "see" what we're referring to when we say loose bass response. It wasn't intended to be bad or good, just an illustration.

I like some songs with a slapping and loose bass end at a club, but personally I hate it when my amps aren't tight.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Grisky seems to be spot on in this thread. HT5 is the way to go. For all we know, the 6505+ 1x12 could be crap.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Peavey XXX 112 or 212 killer amp's for the money!
okay i get what tightness is now hahahah thanks kitty :P and yes, its what i mean. i want my tone to be as articulate as possible.

so i guess i better start saving for a ht5, try it check the volume and tightness of its ass then either buy it or check out a peavey classic 30.