I was wondering what everyones opinion is of necessary equipment for gigging is. I currently am in possession of a Boss SD-1, original Crybaby wah, and a MG HDFX100 half stack (bad i know, looking to upgrade to JCM soon).

I'm torn between wanting to hold out for a Guitar Rig 3 pedal board or getting necessary individual pedals like a compressor and a noise gate and the like.

Thoughts?
Noise gates are cool. Those processors are great if you like to use tons of effects, but do you really need more than a compressor, eq, delay, noise gate, and possibly an overdrive?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Sometimes, I don't use effects as a staple but I definitely think they are essential for certain moods. But it's more of a tone thing when I think about the Rig.

I'm also thinking cost. Individual pedals would run almost 3 times as much as the Rig. I'm wondering about quality too. If the Rig would be just as good as the individual pedals.

Also, suggestions on certain pedals?
i believe that you should learn to play plugged right into your amp, because there will be times where you will be forced to play right into your amp. then you start evaluating gear and prioritize. i like my wah, usually i can at least get my wah there. after that a distortion pedal is nice, then maybe modulation and delay/reverb effects. then after that go for you more specialized effects. you think you should expand your capacities in roughly that order.

my bare basic setup is, guitar->amp; and then i brings an sm57 and a mic chord if we're recording. that is what i feel any guitarist should be responsible for.

and there are tons of 'which pedal' threads, look around. but more importantly educate yourself, don't fall into what common opinions are on this site, get your own

edit: many people can just get by with a wah or a reverb or analog delay pedal, depends on you though
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
well, what i mean is you should start with just the amp, and then add on what you feel you need. it sounds like this is all new to you, so i'll give a little guidance as to 'a path of most convenience'.

step 1: Wah Pedal:
i almost always recommend a wah pedal for a first pedal, it forces the user to become highly interactive with their pedals. the wah pedal is a challenging pedal to use and will build good pedal habits. the wah is a more demanding pedal but it is a very rewarding pedal and if you become good at controlling one almost any effect will be yours. don't expect immediate payoffs, this is a long term pedal.

Step 2 Distortion Pedal:
this could mean a number of different pedal depending on you applications(don't know what music you play, nothing on profile). but a regular 'distortion pedal' will give a 'hot tube amp' sound. a boost pedal will just increase the input signal. the overdrives will create a 'clipped tube preamp' sound and works well in a number of applications. a fuzz creates more of a hard compressed square waveform, sounds 'fat'. there are a few 'others' as well, including emulators, simulators, crossover distortion pedals, blending, preamps, and even weirder stuff. i recommend something good with 2 channels.

step 3
reverb/delay/modulation effects
depending on the artists you like or the styles going after you can pick up a number of good reverb, delay, chorus, phaser, or flange style pedals. you may even want to be more specific if you like surfer rock for example you'll probably just make do with an onboard reverb tank and maybe an onboard trem unit. but if you like hendrix, then you want a fuzz and od and a few modulation toys like univibe effects and the such. i love delays myself.

step 4 Free For All:
at this point you should have most or all the above pedals. now you can start trying wild moog pedals, and octave pedals and strange distortion devices. ring modulators, harmonizers, oscillator pedals, low pass trem devices. strange stuff with strange sounds.

that would be a safe progression, collecting in this manner will help make sure everything is more usable when you get a new pedal.

-ae
Gumbilicious, that's definitely a good starting guide. My take on it is that any versatile rig needs distortion, fuzz, delay, and wah pedals. Maybe a good modulation if absolutely necessary.

EDIT: Of course that "free for all" step is certainly my favorite

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by gumbilicious
well, what i mean is you should start with just the amp, and then add on what you feel you need. it sounds like this is all new to you, so i'll give a little guidance as to 'a path of most convenience'.

step 1: Wah Pedal:
i almost always recommend a wah pedal for a first pedal, it forces the user to become highly interactive with their pedals. the wah pedal is a challenging pedal to use and will build good pedal habits. the wah is a more demanding pedal but it is a very rewarding pedal and if you become good at controlling one almost any effect will be yours. don't expect immediate payoffs, this is a long term pedal.

Step 2 Distortion Pedal:
this could mean a number of different pedal depending on you applications(don't know what music you play, nothing on profile). but a regular 'distortion pedal' will give a 'hot tube amp' sound. a boost pedal will just increase the input signal. the overdrives will create a 'clipped tube preamp' sound and works well in a number of applications. a fuzz creates more of a hard compressed square waveform, sounds 'fat'. there are a few 'others' as well, including emulators, simulators, crossover distortion pedals, blending, preamps, and even weirder stuff. i recommend something good with 2 channels.

step 3
reverb/delay/modulation effects
depending on the artists you like or the styles going after you can pick up a number of good reverb, delay, chorus, phaser, or flange style pedals. you may even want to be more specific if you like surfer rock for example you'll probably just make do with an onboard reverb tank and maybe an onboard trem unit. but if you like hendrix, then you want a fuzz and od and a few modulation toys like univibe effects and the such. i love delays myself.

step 4 Free For All:
at this point you should have most or all the above pedals. now you can start trying wild moog pedals, and octave pedals and strange distortion devices. ring modulators, harmonizers, oscillator pedals, low pass trem devices. strange stuff with strange sounds.

that would be a safe progression, collecting in this manner will help make sure everything is more usable when you get a new pedal.

Nice post man. Especially with the wah. I remember when I bought a crybaby I was really disappointed as it was a little hard to use at first and I couldn't get it sound right.

Also TS, their are lots of good bang for your buck pedals out there if your on a budget. The dano cool cat series pedals, Artec Pedals, the analog digitech pedals aren't horrible either.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
thx guys

Quote by JoePerry4life
Nice post man. Especially with the wah. I remember when I bought a crybaby I was really disappointed as it was a little hard to use at first and I couldn't get it sound right.

that was me too. but it was so rewarding when i started to get it to actually sound good, blew my friends away. also gets you exploring playing in all different ways. the wah is the most simple, complex and versatile pedal i own. my wah is the only pedal i have never changed and have constantly used.

Quote by JoePerry4life

Also TS, their are lots of good bang for your buck pedals out there if your on a budget. The dano cool cat series pedals, Artec Pedals, the analog digitech pedals aren't horrible either.

cry baby is still what i got from back in '96, still works np. rat proco, or moded ds-1 is nice place to start with good distortion. i would really recommend doing your research before you at least buy pedal so that you can help keep yourself from buying something bad and not useful(like boss CS pedal).

-ae
very nice post gumbi, i'll note it very well.

btw I play everything except country. heavy metal, hard rock, folk, blues, jazz, you name it I play it pretty much.

Any suggestions on good noise gates? It seems to be a hard choice to make when it comes to noise gates and compressors. Right now I got my eye on a Boss noise gate.
i haven't found too much need for a noise gate and always bypassed they one in my digitech rp20. although they can get cool effects with fuzz or massive distortion.

-ae