ok so I wrote a piece using harmonics and normal fretted notes. my dilemma is that I can't find a setting on my amp/bass that makes the harmonics ring out and the root notes sound clean. If i use the bridge pick up on my jazz bass the harmonics sound great but when I move my fingers on the strings you can hear the rubbing very well. I just need a happy medium of warm tones and bright harmonics.

thanks in advance,

loudog
maybe get some string lubricant? should help a bit. other than that try to find the happy medium with your treble knob. this isn't really my area of expertise but it's where i'd start.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Harmonics come out best with the Mids, and I've found my Bridge pickup picks up a nice sweet clear harmonic with a good level, and with the other pick-up on the level decreases for some odd reason. I'm not an expert on the matter I can't explain it.

you could try playing on your bridge pick-up and rolling the tone knob off ever so slightly, but still keep the treble on your amp so it will remain clear.

Just a suggestion. May be wrong.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Boost mids (specifically around 400Hz and 1000hz) cut highs (8kHz and 5kHz) boost bass a little and cut out just a tad of low mids. Lean a little bit on the bridge pickup, but not too much. Keep in mind: don't boost or cut anything too much. Harmonics rely on a lot of different frequencies coming out, so a little boost and cut here and there is better than cranking or scooping anything.
Yea, boost the high mids, and favor the bridge pick ups. Also, how old are you strings? They may just be too dead to sound harmonics properly
i do need new strings. would a compressor help make my sound more even? i know it is hard for you guys to know what I am talking about without hearing the music. I will try to get a recording up when I get my bass back from school.
Quote by loudog93
i do need new strings. would a compressor help make my sound more even? i know it is hard for you guys to know what I am talking about without hearing the music. I will try to get a recording up when I get my bass back from school.

Id get new strings before you start talking about compressors