I'm actually curious what the answer is to this. It's been a hard few years for everyone, so I can't imagine either of them is going up in numbers at all. If I had to guess, I'd say Gibson is doing better because Fender has been raising prices like no other. Then again, Fender has amplifiers, Gretsch, Jackson (I think) etc to add into its numbers, and Gibson doesn't own many other small companies other than Epiphone, but Fender has Squier as well. Hard to say.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Well dont forget that those other companies can also bring Fender down as well. I think I read a report somewhere that Squier was doing really well thanks to the Classic Vibe series though.
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
Fender probably sells more shirts than both companies sell guitars together.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
remember, fender owns jackson and squier. gibson owns epiphone and kramer. i think the fender/jackson combo is a little bit more powerful. kramers aren't as popular as some of the jackson models out there.

EDIT: and fender has gretsch (i think) AND the new EVH guitars are built under fender. i don't know if they're doing all that well since they're so expensive, but you know they are definitely affecting it one way or another.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Last edited by LifeIsABullet16 at Sep 28, 2009,
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
remember, fender owns jackson and squier. gibson owns epiphone and kramer. i think the fender/jackson combo is a little bit more powerful. kramers aren't as popular as some of the jackson models out there.

Not to mention the real Kramer guitars are actually Gary Kramer, which aren't owned by Gibson.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Not to mention the real Kramer guitars are actually Gary Kramer, which aren't owned by Gibson.

thats definitely important too. if anybody knows i think it would be interesting. i wonder how the guitar business' two juggernauts are doing.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
im guessing it would be Fender because of that little empire they've built, and also because their prices are more affordable. fender is like the mercedes of the world, while Gibson is like the porsche. they both sell a lot, but the prices of the Gibsons and the smaller size of the company, means they will inevitably sell less than fender
It probably comes down to whether squires or epiphones are the more popular guitar for beginners .
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Quote by Lt. Shinysides
im guessing it would be Fender because of that little empire they've built, and also because their prices are more affordable. fender is like the mercedes of the world, while Gibson is like the porsche. they both sell a lot, but the prices of the Gibsons and the smaller size of the company, means they will inevitably sell less than fender

I kinda agree.
Except that Fender guitars are better,

But in all seriousness, Fender have a larger range of models, from affordable MIM to luxury custom shops. I think Fender have a good model, and will probably sell a lot more instruments [apart from all the metal kids wanting LPs...]
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Don't quote me on this, but I believe as it stands Fender sells more, but Gibson makes more actual profit/is sitting on a slightly bigger pile of money.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Don't quote me on this, but I believe as it stands Fender sells more, but Gibson makes more actual profit/is sitting on a slightly bigger pile of money.

I also think this. Fender is probably doing much better than Gibson, but since Gibson charge their prices so much, they can make the same amount of cash by selling just a fraction of what Fender sells.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Fender Own tons more subsidiaries: Squier,Gretsch, Jackson Guitars, Charvel, Hamer, Tacoma, Guild Guitar Company, SWR, Brand X, Orpheum, Olympia, Heartfield, Benedetto, Rodriguez, Genz Benz Amplification, Ovation. On top of that they are they distribute Sabian Cymbals and Takamine Guitars.

Not to mention Fender dominates the Bass Guitar market......
I still gotta say Fender probably sells more clothes/apparel than both companies sell any music equiptment. Fender is the biggest toolshed breeding company out there.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Mahoru
I also think this. Fender is probably doing much better than Gibson, but since Gibson charge their prices so much, they can make the same amount of cash by selling just a fraction of what Fender sells.

This makes no sense. If you agree that Gibson is probably sitting on a larger pile of cash, how can you say that Fender is probably "doing much better" than Gibson? Forget about how much we all hate the price of Gibsons, but in business you try to price it where supply meets demand. I am guessing that the folks at Gibson understand the principles of supply and demand and are maximizing their profits. Whether or not that means they sell fewer guitars than Fender? Who knows, but in business its not about that, its all about the $$$$.
It's like comparing car companies or something. You have your BMW (Gibson) and your Ford (Fender). I would have to guess Fender normally beats them in units sold but maybe not in actual profit. Not to be the guy who harps on "The Economy" but at times like these Fender's are going to be more popular simply because of price.
I'd imagine Fender sell more (as a corporation, including squier, jackson, Guild and I believe Gretsch?) partially because of the whole "Fender are best for blues" "Squier are bought by most beginners" "Jackson are best for metal" general statements that people come out with.
Where Gibson really don't have these sorta things, Epiphone are mid-ranged guitars often thought of as beginner guitars, people beginning think they're too much, people after similar priced guitars will think they're beginners.
And Gibson are known for being notoriously expensive.

Note that everything I've said it an insane blanket statement based on the "General" public's view (from what I've seen).

But yeah, as Fender seem to have more going for them, I'd say they sell more, but as noted earlier, Gibson may have more profit, hell someone has to buy their £4k special guitars
Quote by GuitarDTO
This makes no sense. If you agree that Gibson is probably sitting on a larger pile of cash, how can you say that Fender is probably "doing much better" than Gibson? Forget about how much we all hate the price of Gibsons, but in business you try to price it where supply meets demand. I am guessing that the folks at Gibson understand the principles of supply and demand and are maximizing their profits. Whether or not that means they sell fewer guitars than Fender? Who knows, but in business its not about that, its all about the $$$$.

What? I think you didn't get my point. I say Fender is doing much better in number of sales, not in profits. There's no point in denying that Gibson charges their prices way more than Fender (and no, eventhough I'm a Fender fan, I don't hate Gibson, I quite like them too, I just can't stand their policy).
In bussiness companies should base their prices on offer and demand, and that's where Gibson fails, because they're pricing their products at a level that doesn't match the demand. BUT it doesn't matter much to them, because, hypothetically, they get the same benefits for selling one guitar that the ones Fender gets for selling 5, for example, so it kinda compensates the loss of sales with higher benefits.
- Alhambra 5P
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Quote by Mahoru
What? I think you didn't get my point. I say Fender is doing much better in number of sales, not in profits. There's no point in denying that Gibson charges their prices way more than Fender (and no, eventhough I'm a Fender fan, I don't hate Gibson, I quite like them too, I just can't stand their policy).
In bussiness companies should base their prices on offer and demand, and that's where Gibson fails, because they're pricing their products at a level that doesn't match the demand. BUT it doesn't matter much to them, because, hypothetically, they get the same benefits for selling one guitar that the ones Fender gets for selling 5, for example, so it kinda compensates the loss of sales with higher benefits.

Yes, I got your point that you were implying Fender was doing better in number of sales. You are still off base though. You are implying that because Gibson's prices are high that they somehow arent pricing at a level to match demand. Gibson's prices might be higher than your personal demand warrants, but that doesnt mean they arent hitting the sweet spot with their overall market. Despite what you and I think, there are much smarter folks that understand the supply and demand of their guitars and current market, and if they werent maximizing their profits because prices were too high, then they would drop their prices so demand met supply. In other words, even though you don't want to buy a Gibson because you think it is too expensive, thousands of other people do. You can look at Fender for a perfect example of this......Fender raised their prices significantly the beginning of this year to increase profits, and within 6 months they were already discounting and dropping prices because their demand probably plummetted. If Gibson demand gets low, prices will drop. Demand won't get low though. They have sustained their elevated prices over other brands for years now because people keep buying their guitars.
Last edited by GuitarDTO at Sep 28, 2009,
Well, I guess it depends on the country. Here the instruments from the Fender family are some of the best selling, while I can assure you almost nobody's buying new Gibsons. In fact, I'm friends with the owners of my local guitar shop and they haven't sold a Gibson for 5 months, while they sell Fenders weekly. Maybe in other countries the situation is different, but here Gibson has almost no market nowadays (which is a shame, because even when they're overpriced, every once in a while you can come across a real gem).
- Alhambra 5P
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Gibson isn't really more expensive than Fender when it comes to MIA instruments. Gibson has the Faded series which is less than a Highway One Fender. A Gibson SG and Flying V cost the same as American Standard Fenders. Only Les Pauls are expensive, but they still have the Studio models which is around the price of an American Standard Fender. MIM Fenders and Epiphone also compete in price and they both have starter packs. If you can afford a Fender/Squire, you can afford a Gibson/Epiphone and vice versa. It all comes down to the player's personal preference.

But I think Fender sells more because they have more subdivisions and a larger selection and greater variety in their electric guitars, basses, and amps (Gibson has more high quality acoustic guitars though). I also think that videogames play a large part of it. Fender is Rock Band and Gibson is Guitar Hero. There are a lot more people in the world who own those games than people who own Gibsons and Fenders.
bud a mim strat kicks a modern epiphones arse.

My guess would still have to be fender,more eggs in more baskets to keep it short.
Probably Fender just because of their clothing profits. And, FWIW, their clothes are actually pretty cool.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by JELIFISH19
Only Les Pauls are expensive, but they still have the Studio models which is around the price of an American Standard Fender.

studios are way more than MIA Strats and Teles
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
studios are way more than MIA Strats and Teles

Que? No they arent. Studios range from $799 to $1319 depending on if you get faded versus the normal paint job with chrome hardware. New American Standards are $1199-$1349 (most $1199 but the Sienna sunburst more). I'd say those are pretty equivalent prices.
Quote by GuitarDTO
Que? No they arent. Studios range from $799 to $1319 depending on if you get faded versus the normal paint job with chrome hardware. New American Standards are $1199-$1349 (most $1199 but the Sienna sunburst more). I'd say those are pretty equivalent prices.

where i am the studio ranges from $1200 to $1700.
If talking about just fender or gibson (not any of their subsidiaries), fender definitely sells more guitars, most because Gibson itself doesn't have anything in the price range of a mexican strat that can sell well.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

Yikes!!
Quote by JELIFISH19
I also think that videogames play a large part of it. Fender is Rock Band and Gibson is Guitar Hero. There are a lot more people in the world who own those games than people who own Gibsons and Fenders.

Isn't Gibson out of the games game? I thought Guitar Hero moved on to PRS and Schecter.
Quote by Natrone
Probably Fender just because of their clothing profits. And, FWIW, their clothes are actually pretty cool.

Finally someone gets it! Although I wouldn't say just because of their clothing.

Fender is by far the most commercialized and is the centerfold guitar company out there. You can not play guitar without knowing Fender. When just about every single starter guitar is a Squier or Stratocaster design, it sets you up want a Fender from the start.

Gibson makes a load on their guitars, but honestly, Fender's are just as overpriced as Gibson. The difference with Gibson is it takes 4x as long to wire up than a Fender strat. Gibsons also have a lot more variety, which costs a lot more to manufacture. With Fender you either get a Strat or Tele and their basses, with near identical hardware to every other guitar they manufacture. Gibson has the Les Paul, SG, Explorer, V, Thunderbird, Goddess sized, and other smaller bodied versions of the originals (10% reduced body sizes), then the ES355, ES137, and so on and so forth. Gibson also does the guitar of the month, which has to cost a load of money as well, to make a 1 off series every month some with different cases, hardware, paintjobs. Not to mention ALL gibsons over $800 that have a painted or clear finish are nitrocellulose, much more expensive than the latex crap on most Fenders except for SPECIFIC models.

And to put in my $.10 on Gibson's target audience... Fender has everyone from the moment they know what electric guitar is. "Hendrix" still sells more guitars for Fender than Slash and Page sell Les Pauls for Gibson. Gibson sets their prices and doesn't really let supply or demand adjust to equilibrium. If the price is high, people will save up for it if thats the only way to get one. Sure, this gets them the big profit. Fender dominates the low and midrange market. When you think Fender has beginner acoustics, electrics, and basses. Their products are named Squier by Fender. You don't see Epiphone by Gibson nearly as often, nor does Gibson/Epiphone offer enough beginner friendly prices to stay competitive.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
^Fender also has the Jaguar, Jazzmaster, and Mustang.

On top of that, most models have at least 3 different versions. Strats and Teles have variations, series, and signatures that amount to 10+ models for each design.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
^Fender also has the Jaguar, Jazzmaster, and Mustang.

On top of that, most models have at least 3 different versions. Strats and Teles have variations, series, and signatures that amount to 10+ models for each design.

There isn't even an American series (high cost to build) model of the Mustang, the Jaguar/Jazzmaster's variations are the plethora of sig series and only have hardware differences. Another factor keeping the price down on fender. Still not as drastic as putting out a new line of 1,000-2,000 guitars each month, building acoustic and bluegrass instruments, basses. By 10+ models you mean 3 (Korea, Mexico, and USA) x 3 different pickup combo's a piece + 5 guys with signature guitars with the same exact specs and different paint.

Another big selling point with Fender is offering every single guitarist who's in a gold or platinum selling band gets a sig series. Thats enough to get any fanboy to spend an additional $2,000 on a MIA with minor upgrades or just a different paintjob.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

And where are you getting MIA fenders cheaper than that in Aus?
Quote by MESAexplorer

Not really man.

Gary Kramer was only involved with Kramer for one freaking year.... during the aluminum necks.... years before the wooden necks, EVH and the big years of Kramer The only thing he has in common with Kramer after that is copying the old body styles to cheese a profit off an era he had nothing to do with.
Not saying Gibson shouldn't be doing more with the brand.

There is new stuff coming this fall and from what I am hearing Gibson is bringing Kramer back to a viable brand again.