Well, its that time where you need something more than that crappy 5 watt practice amp :P. I might also be gigging soon too, so I'm going to start looking for an amp soon.

My budget is less than 400, maybe I can throw in 50 or 100 more, but I want to keep it under 400.

I would prefer tube, but I wouldn't mind being able to play at low volumes neither, so it doesn't HAVE to be a tube amp.

I usually enjoy playing thrash, and neoclassical. However, I would like to be able to play blues and classic rock too (and Eric Johnson X_X) so a versatile amp would be great :P, but I guess I would rather get a nice metal tone, than a classic rock tone. Although, cleans aren't that important to me.

I've been looking at the B-52 AT 1x12, and the Valveking, what would be the big difference between these two amps? I'm also highly considering a 75w Vypr too though, how does it stack to the tube amps? Tone wise that is, features aren't that important to me. (please suggest if theres any better amps too)

All in all, I would like something that will not be overpowered by the drummer, but still have a nice tone too. Tube isn't important, as long as its loud enough, and it has a nice tone.

Thanks
Quote by Echoplex
Mature pit regulars? Are you retarded?

I am a proud Zune 120 owner
bugera, peavey classic 30..
Quote by Junnage
GuitarUser knows what's up*

Quote by SimplyBen
I agree with GuitarUser

Quote by travs2448
digital amps are like Fapping, its good but nothings like the real thing.
The b-52 does everything better than the valveking.

I suggest the b-52. Also tube amps also have a volume knob to play low volumes.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
I'm not a huge fan of the Vypyr. Sure, it's versatile, but it sounds pretty thin, and the higher gain models are kind of lifeless sounding. Next, I prefer the VK to the B-52 once it's modded. If you plan on keeping the amp stock, a VK isn't worth it, or able to do metal in the first place. I'd go for a used Flextone, those will easily be in your price range. They sound great, and can do a wide variety of tones well.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
What do you mean by modding? Just changing the tubes, or do you mean something different?
Also, would the average guitar center or sam ash have the flextone? I'm looking through the website, and I don't see any new ones.
Quote by Echoplex

B-52 AT 112. Just ordered mine the other day
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Quote by KennethJay
oh, and how is this amp? http://www.guitarcenter.com/Crate-FlexWave-Series-FW120-120W-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-481052-i1175923.gc

I never heard anyone talk about flexwaves

It's okay. Not worth it, but somewhat decent.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by ibz_bucket
It's okay. Not worth it, but somewhat decent.

The B-52 would be better then eh?

EDIT: How about the Peavey Bandit and the Windsor? How are they?
Quote by Echoplex

Last edited by KennethJay at Sep 28, 2009,
Quote by KennethJay
What do you mean by modding? Just changing the tubes, or do you mean something different?
Also, would the average guitar center or sam ash have the flextone? I'm looking through the website, and I don't see any new ones.

Dummy jack
Speaker swap
EQ in the loop
Overdrive pedal
Tubes
Output transformer
Bias mod
Internal mods

The order of mods and improvements usually goes in that order. It saves alot of money to buy the VK used in the first place.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Dummy jack
Speaker swap
EQ in the loop
Overdrive pedal
Tubes
Output transformer
Bias mod
Internal mods

The order of mods and improvements usually goes in that order. It saves alot of money to buy the VK used in the first place.

How much would a good modding for the Valveking to pass the B-52? If it's too much, I might just get the B52 then
Quote by Echoplex

Lessee.

A used Valveking is $200 - $250, typically.
A dummy jack can be anything with a 1/4" tip, most people use converters or patch cables.
A speaker is at least $60.
An EQ can vary in price, but let's say MXR M-108, which is $110.

At the minimum, that's $370. Sometimes you can buy a used VK with a good speaker to begin with. You don't need to change the tubes to get great tone, and an OD isn't entirely necessary, either. At the minimum, a dummy jack, EQ and speaker swap are necessary.

The reliability problems of the B-52 may put you off, too.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
What exactly is a dummy jack anyways o.o.

Also, modding really that big of a difference compared to the b52? Tone wise
Quote by Echoplex

Quote by Raijouta
Lessee.

A used Valveking is $200 - $250, typically.
A dummy jack can be anything with a 1/4" tip, most people use converters or patch cables.
A speaker is at least $60.
An EQ can vary in price, but let's say MXR M-108, which is $110.

At the minimum, that's $370. Sometimes you can buy a used VK with a good speaker to begin with. You don't need to change the tubes to get great tone, and an OD isn't entirely necessary, either. At the minimum, a dummy jack, EQ and speaker swap are necessary.

The reliability problems of the B-52 may put you off, too.
That was pretty early in the life of the B-52, I'm pretty sure it's fixed now.
A dummy jack is anything with a 1/4" inch tip, such as a converter or a patch cable. It's called a dummy jack because there's nothing connected to it, so it's merely occupying space.

I played a Vypyr 75, and right out of the box, I found it sounded pretty damn good. I haven't A/B'd it with my VK yet, but the Vypyr is definitely worth considering as well.

Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
That was pretty early in the life of the B-52, I'm pretty sure it's fixed now.

I still see recent reviews of it saying things like "DIED IN A WEEK" and stuff, so I don't think so. Any cheap, mass-produced tube amp will have problems, some more than others. That goes for the VK too, although I will say you see far less Valveking problems than you do B-52 or Bugera.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Last edited by Raijouta at Sep 29, 2009,
Wait, what is the dummy jack used for then o_o. Eh, I might just get a b-52 for its convenience out of the box, if i can't find a used Valveking then
Quote by Echoplex

I've got a mint Peavey XXX super 40 combo for sale it will cover what you want and more! and it would be in your price range. Pm me if your interested. Best of luck with your search

Quote by KennethJay
Wait, what is the dummy jack used for then o_o. Eh, I might just get a b-52 for its convenience out of the box, if i can't find a used Valveking then

It goes in the high gain input while the guitar is plugged in the low gain input. Kinda like what was done with old Marshalls. It makes the VK sound better.

That XXX would be a far better choice than the VK or B-52 out of the box, by the way.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D