The faceplate on my vintage amp gets REALLY, REALLY hot when it's been turned on for more than 30 minutes. There's a row of 7 tubes in there.

The back side of my amp has an open port where the tubes are, and I was thinking about getting some small fans and aiming them at the cutout to keep the temperature down. Would this be a good idea? Will it add any life to the tubes or chassis? Could it introduce noise into the circuit?

If you were doing this, what kind of small fans would you use?
"In Power Trios I Trust..."
Gibson SG Classic, Fender CP Jaguar Special HH, '65 RI Mustang
'65 Ampeg Gemini I G-12 Combo, Orange Tiny Terror
Don't. Tubes are meant to get hot.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
My Classic 50 has a small computer fan inside the chassis. It's a standard feature on the amp, but apparently not many amps have them. I'd say it's the primary source of noise in the amp, but it's not very noisy to begin with so I don't mind. As far as I know it will extend the life of the tubes. Regardless, it's worth a shot. I like not burning myself when I'm trying to adjust knobs

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by JoePerry4life
Don't. Tubes are meant to get hot.

I agree about the tubes, but what about the chassis and faceplate? My amp is minty & I'm concerned about how hot these metal components get when I leave the amp on for 20-30 minutes (or more).

Not hot enough to get burned, but still damn hot.

BY THE WAY: If I did this, the fans would be small computer type fans and on their own clean circuit...or maybe battery operated. So any "noise" would be of the ambient variety.
"In Power Trios I Trust..."
Gibson SG Classic, Fender CP Jaguar Special HH, '65 RI Mustang
'65 Ampeg Gemini I G-12 Combo, Orange Tiny Terror
Last edited by Armchair Bronco at Sep 28, 2009,
I believe Weber makes a small fan for amps. You have to wire it in to the circuit for power. It's a relatively simple procedure though. My advice is make sure you don't have it pointed directly at the tubes. You want to create a path that makes it flow over it so that it doesn't get the tubes too cold. If you point it right at them, there's a strong possibility they would crack because of the heat/cool cycle strains.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
I believe Weber makes a small fan for amps. You have to wire it in to the circuit for power. It's a relatively simple procedure though. My advice is make sure you don't have it pointed directly at the tubes. You want to create a path that makes it flow over it so that it doesn't get the tubes too cold. If you point it right at them, there's a strong possibility they would crack because of the heat/cool cycle strains.

nice thinking
Quote by Junnage
GuitarUser knows what's up*

Quote by SimplyBen
I agree with GuitarUser

Quote by travs2448
digital amps are like Fapping, its good but nothings like the real thing.
My Dr. Z Maz 38 came with a fan in the back, but it's not pointing right at the tubes. It seems to be blowing more so right on the transformer than anything else. If anything it will extend the life of your power transformer. The fan itself is very quiet and I cant hear it even when im not playing. Its easily unpluggable, but having it there makes me less worried about any sudden amp breakdown at shows
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Quote by GuitarUser
nice thinking

I can't take credit for it though. I e-mailed Ted Weber about a year ago with some questions and a fan was one of them. He was a great guy.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I do it with a normal fan
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Les Paul Copy
AX Copy
Ibanez Gio

JCM 800 4211

Vox 847
Marshall Guv'nor 2

Need more amps!
^Ya I just point a fan towards the back of the amp, and at me... I get hot when I play for 30 minutes too.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
My Mesa/Boogie has a built-in heatsink fan that circulates the air in the combo around the tubes to keep them cool. I don't think a small fan inside a combo, such as what comes in a computer case, is a bad idea.
Hi, I'm Peter
I would not worry about it too much. I have my amp on for 2 or 3 hours at a time and it is just fine.