Theres basically no repetition in this song, and I'd consider the arrangement extremely progressive. I tried to do things I havn't done yet, and I plan on adding a rhodes piano part eventually, but for now its just an empty track.

So yeah, if you can give me a solid crit on this one I'll definitely get you back, it'd be highly appreciated.
Attachments:
Setting Stages.gp5
Setting Stages.gp4
Setting Stages.mid
This is what ACB would sound like if they progressed in the right direction. Instead of ruining the last album.

This is amazing man. So technical and proggy but it fits in perfectly and doesnt sound awkward. You manage to write two lead riffs over each other, without it sounded cluttered. Which is hard to do. Time signature and tempo changes flow easily into each other. There isnt really anything to crit. sorry haha. 10/10.
congrats, really good stuff

got me right from the intro, i really like the 'jangly' sound and the fact that the harmonic space is evenly distributed in the three distinct melodic instruments. Kinda reminds me of Portraits of Past (not necessarily the sound, just the feel). If you record this, go for a crunch sound that's a bit on the brittle side ^^
btw, completely unneccessary asperger- nitpick, the 11/8 meter of the intro could be better expressed as 5/8 + 6/8 bars. If you listen to it carefully and count where the pulse lies, that's the 'real' meter. But that's not important, I guess, and if it's more convenient to have it in one big bar instead of two, so be it.
Any reason why you didn't add "let rings" on the distorted picking sections where it'd come up ? (other besides "it sounds muddy in midi").
It was really nice how the bass locked in great with the drums throughout the whole piece, made the odd meters and transitions smooth. Would love to have heard more little fills, embellishments and diddles in the drums, but I know, they're a pain to tab and usually a real drummer just adlibs them into the beat pattern.
The beginning of the 'clean bridge' made me smile, 'twas bars of 3/4 +3/4 +2/4, nice how you carried that over the 4/4 general, like I said you have a really nice sense of odd-feels that are interesting and flow without sounding pretentiously proggy.

If I had to be negative about things (no comments necessary about the technical/theoretical aspects of the piece, was all fine, and I'm not one to give too detailed section-rundowns), I'd say that the lack of any really strong melodic hooks probably will make most people file the song under "nice but forgettable". But I assume that the song was probably intended as a "mood piece" anyway, if not even a writing-exercise ?

Anyway, wrapping things up, you're on a great way and it's inspiring to watch the growth in your work. I'll be looking forward to new material from you and hope to hear some recordings

Cheers!
Your crits are always appreciated, Ailes. I think it's safe to say you definitely have had a part in my growth as a songwriter, with the way you respectfully point out all the subtle things about what I write that I don't think most people take the time to think about.

I actually have this song partially recorded right now. Just nailing down some of the leads cleanly are giving me trouble. the 5/4 section, mainly. I wrote it in sections on the guitar and not as a whole, so putting it together is proving a challenge, with the all odd fingerings I have haha. But once I have something finished I'll post a link here.
Quote by Thomasoman
Your crits are always appreciated, Ailes. I think it's safe to say you definitely have had a part in my growth as a songwriter, with the way you respectfully point out all the subtle things about what I write that I don't think most people take the time to think about.

I actually have this song partially recorded right now. Just nailing down some of the leads cleanly are giving me trouble. the 5/4 section, mainly. I wrote it in sections on the guitar and not as a whole, so putting it together is proving a challenge, with the all odd fingerings I have haha. But once I have something finished I'll post a link here.

Such an interesting song, man.
Well done!
10/10
Last edited by Joshe_009 at Oct 1, 2009,
Quote by Thomasoman
just an update, I recorded this song completely, with vocals and everything.

http://www.myspace.com/watchingromeburnmusic

its titled 'cut my strings' on there. check it out!

! very good recording. Really nice to hear your vocals too, was positively surprised (reminds me of the youthful urgency of early Geoff Rickly in the timbre, and there's some Daryl Palumbo in your enunciation I guess).

I'm guessing drums and bass were sampled ? Good work (drums could use abit more treble, but that may just be myspace depressing the audio quality again). Guitar sound was great, airy placement, I'd like maybe a bit more presence and drive but that's matter of opinion.

Anyway, don't wanna bump too much. Drop me a pm if you want to talk shop about your setup, and if you could upload the individual tracks somewhere I'd like to try my hand at remastering (and snip in a rhodes somewhere ^^)

cheers!
Quote by JesseBlanchard
This is what ACB would sound like if they progressed in the right direction. Instead of ruining the last album.

This is amazing man. So technical and proggy but it fits in perfectly and doesnt sound awkward. You manage to write two lead riffs over each other, without it sounded cluttered. Which is hard to do. Time signature and tempo changes flow easily into each other. There isnt really anything to crit. sorry haha. 10/10.

Says the man with a prog hating sig.
Just sayin...

And Thomasoman, your song is excellent. I prefer the actual recording, for moral and poli---because of how well done and tasty your guitar tone is. Idk if those are your vocals, but they are very pungent. Really fits the music very well. As Ailes said, there is a certain urgency to them. I also like that you don't happen to use the typical whine/cry of PHC.
Then again, the music is significantly atypical of the genre. In a good way.
Quote by huevos
Says the man with a prog hating sig.
Just sayin...

I dont hate what 'prog' sounds like. I just think its stupid when people say stuff is so progressive and stuff. when its just pretty much a just rock song.
I know what you mean. And I hate you. You never responded to my comment about needing help with the verse.
It's alright tho. I made a more congruent rhythm fo my rhythm.

EDIT:
Thomasoman, since you didn't get me your response to my thread (in Tab form), I expect you to join this. We need 2 more people and Blachard is already in.
Do it nao!
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1100090&page=1&pp=20
Last edited by huevos at Oct 4, 2009,
I dont know if your joking about hating me or not. And I tried to make a drumbeat, but I couldnt really make anything I was happy with.
Thomasoman, since you didn't get me your response to my thread (in Tab form), I expect you to join this. We need 2 more people and Blachard is already in.
Do it nao!

I'm in the some boat as jesse there, you managed to create a track that was hard as **** to drum to XD. I tried but honestly, I thought the one you had was good enough for it.
Brilliant intro.

I liked the dissonance, yet how melodic it was at the same time. Very wandering, though still good.

Then a breakdown, and that's okay if it's good, which this was. I mean, it wasn't mind blowing but it got the job done, and transitioned into the much better triplet section and the 5/4 lead part, which was very Mars Volta esque, and brilliant.

Lead Over Breakdown was satisfying, especially with the clean tones. Clean bridge was pretty cool, but the staccato rhythm got really obnoxious (that could be the MIDI), and then it got really really good with the harmonized arpeggios.

I think the Bridge Part 2 was pretty cool, if missing something that I can't put my finger on. The outro was really well done, but could've used a bit more space between teh notes in the lead, space it out and it would sound much more interesting and, dare I say, "epic". Better yet, keep this lead line, then build up into a more wide open lead part.

9/10. Crit as I listen.

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1211812
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
I was looking for such a program.
Can you tell me its name?

Btw, good song.
I listened to the record, nice flow. The bass was enjoyable.
It's uncommon to actually listen to the piece than "reading" the song in GP.
Thumbs up.
CLICK
Quote by synestershadows
Holy shit nemesis, that was depressing.
Mission accomplished!