Hey Guys, Im Planning the Build for my New guitar

so far:

Mohogany Fender (Copy) Body.
Fender Strat Neck.
Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout Pickups.
and Floyd Rose or Edge 3 Lock n Trem Bridge.

now,

i have an oportunity to get a edge 3 (ibanez) lock and trem bridge for $80 (complete)
i love the feel of both bridges (big fan of ibanez, and there bridges, ZR FTW! :P)
but i can decide on wich one.
love floyd rose's but if im gonna do better with the ibanez i will, cause I WILL be thrashing the trem (Squeels, dives, Slapps etc)

can anyone tell me what they think is 'Mechanically' Better?
and witch is Easier to Install?
I've only owned an Ibanez with an edge 3 and never anything with a floyd rose so I cant say how a floyd rose feels but from what I've heard floyd rose is tons better than edge 3 as far as durability goes. My edge 3 is about 3 years old and only one piece has broken so far, a little block used to hold the string taught, the floyd rose use the same thing, it also stays in tune very well... but I would probably go with the FR because from what I've heard the edge 3 is Ibanez's worst floating trem.
i think a OFR would be better, but a LFR might be about the same.

i would wait untill someone with knowlage comes around and gives you a GOOD answer.
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
original floyd rose and liscenced floyd rose

liscensed being one that is the same design made by another company, usually a lower quality and price
Quote by TunerAddict
BEST PAINTJOB EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is the sickest paint job in all of GB&C

Hawaiian Shirt Guy Of the Australia FTW! Club.
PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join.
Australians only.

Just a heads up, the Ibanez Edge III is probably one of the worst trems out there, and LFR can vary from amazing, to a step up from an Edge III. It really depends on the make of the LFR, some are even better then the original, but in most cases a OFR will beat just about anything out there.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Here's your best options: Gotoh LFR (very nice trem), Ibanez Edge/Lo Pro Edge/Edge Pro, Original Floyd Rose, and the Schaller Licensed Floyd Rose.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
You have to consider the radii of your stuff too. If you are putting an actual Fender neck on it, chances are its going to have a 9.5" radius. If that's true, then go with an original Floyd Rose (they have a 10" radius). You can get them fairly cheap too if you stay away from allparts.com, their Schaller LFR is $400 vs $180 for the Schaller at warmoth.com, or $170 for the Original Floyd Rose.

Regardless, stay away from the Edge III, they have easily one of the worst rep of any trem I can think of, plus they are on guitars with a 16" radius, which wouldn't jive too well with your Strat neck.
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+
Quote by Edwardthegreat5
Just a heads up, the Ibanez Edge III is probably one of the worst trems out there, and LFR can vary from amazing, to a step up from an Edge III. It really depends on the make of the LFR, some are even better then the original, but in most cases a OFR will beat just about anything out there.

actually it's just one of the most hated on trems out there.
correctly set up it's fine.

TS if you're on a budget a reccomend hitting ebay and looking for a Jackson Licensed Floyd, they seem to have a good rep and I see them go used for £35 - £50 Buy It Now (thats about $60 - 80 i think, and your postage will be cheaper if you're in the US )
^yeah, apart from the fact that the knife edges are totally destroyed after 3 months. Well mine were anyway.

EDIT: I mean the edge III.
Last edited by supergerbil at Sep 28, 2009,
It might just be my odd way of thinking, but I would save up my money long enough to get an OFR. I mean, yeah, the Ibanez is probably a quality piece, but there is a reason that a lot of companies pay Floyd Rose a lot of money for his design. I know someone is probably going to reply to that with a smart-alec comment, but it's the truth.

An chrome OFR with everything you need is $180 from warmoth.com. When I really finish my partscaster it's the bridge I'm going to buy.

It's your build though, so just look at the facts and your budget, go try out some guitars with both bridges, and get what you're most comfortable with withing your budget.

Good Luck!
Gear:
1998 PRS CE 22-10 Top Natural Finish
MIM HSS Strat-Electron Blue
Vox AC4TV
Definetly going Floyd rose, its the only lock and trem ive ever owned and LOVE the feel, played ibanez ZR's and Edge pro's etc (i used to work in a guitar shop) and there really good, but FR are just da best in feel, and from what im hearing here best in machanics and reliablilty and popularity too. ive got a chrome LFR atm ill use in it, but after you guys help and some thinking ima go OFR for sure, once im ready for it and saved.

Cheers for ya help guys!

Ill post some pics up soon of my guitar atm, once its done itl be same but with:

Start Neck,
Seymour Duncan Blackouts,
and LFR will be routed out and sunk in the body.